Chapter 5 - Part 3

_____

"You're late." Lyia's feet were up on the torn vinyl, her heels glimmering in the flickering lighting.

"Sorry." Ivalin ducked her head, "I, uh, went to the mall." She slid into the seat across from Lyia.

Lyia stole a fry off of her plate, "Hesitation? I'm pretty sure that's new." Her red fingernails kept the food trapped in her clutches as she pointed it at Ivalin.

"I was with Kallen." Ivalin gave a quick, small wave at Petunia who cracked an ugly smile back, and then refocused on the conversation.

Lyia's nose wrinkled at his name, but she tilted her head, "You know, just because I don't like him, doesn't mean that you can't."

Petunia placed a warm plate in front of Ivalin, and she took a second to appreciate the warm smell that came with it. Lyia tried to sneak another fry off of Ivalin's plate, but she snatched her wrist, "You have your own."

Sticking out her tongue, Lyia shook Ivalin off of her, "But they're not as fun."

Petunia cackled at the two of them, "You girls have fun." She patted Ivalin's arm, and walked back to the counter.

Lyia ate another fry, flipping her braids over her shoulder, "These are fire."

"Last time I checked, fire was bad." Ivalin raised an eyebrow. The chill that had settled spun in the room. Someone snored in the back.

Lyia rolled her eyes and crossed her legs. "Only if you're boring."

"That's not funny." Ivalin's grin slowly crawled across her face.

Lyia's eyes lit up, and they shared a smile. "Fine." She tapped Ivalin's shin with the toes of her high-heel. She started to say, "How's classes?" but a boy stopped in front of their table.

They both looked up, Lyia's nose wrinkled.

His jacket was expensive, but it frayed around the sleeves. His smile was false. He winked, "Come here often?"

Lyia rolled her eyes, and looked back at Ivalin who was not paying attention. She took a bite out of the sandwich and melted at the taste. Warmth spread across her chest, but she didn't let the boy out of her peripheral vision.

The clock ticked, and the boy's smirk slowly morphed into a snarl, "Hello?" When they didn't react he pressed on, "Oh, you're going to ignore me now. How mature."

The lights flickered again, and Lyia leaned in, sitting her head on the table, "I think he's trying to speak to us."

Ivalin was trying to not smile as the boy's face turned a dark shade of red, "And we're supposed to care?"

Lyia did laugh, and the boy growled, "You're not pretty, anyways." And he tried to stalk off but his chest slammed into a broom handle.

Petunia was holding the lower side of the broom, a false innocence on her face, "I'm sorry. We don't allow people that harass our favourite customers."
Turning purple, the boy was almost spitting, "I wouldn't want to eat in this disgusting place anyways."

Petunia's smile was too wide, "Good because we don't want ya."

The boy marched out of the diner, the bell screaming as he slammed the door. Petunia clicked her tongue, "I'll get you more pie."

Lyia tilted her head back and laughed. Ivalin joined her. Her stomach cramped, her face hurt, but joy bubbled in her.

"Oh I love you," Lyia beamed at Ivalin who burned bright red, "That was perfect, 'And we're supposed to care?'" Lyia mocked Ivalin's voice before cackling, "I can't."

"Can't what?" Ivalin's neck was hot, blush was spreading across her face. She wondered if she had been poisoned.

Lyia's gaze softened. "Oh you are precious, where'd they'd find you?"

Pulling back, Ivalin dropped her gaze. "Alone."

"Well," Lyia cupped Ivalin's cheek in a soft cool hand, cradling it like it was a fragile and irreplaceable piece of art. "Best decision anyone's ever made."

The jukebox stuttered, and Ivalin was going to melt, "You can't know that."

"I knew who you were the moment I saw you." Lyia's knees tapped against Ivalin's. The whole world paused at her beauty. Ivalin couldn't look away.

Ivalin could only manage a whisper, "And who was that?"

Lyia only smiled and squeezed Ivalin's hands. She pulled away and slid out of the booth. The air chilled, the world started again, sound filtered back into Ivalin's ears.

"Same time?" Lyia said, and when Ivalin dumbly nodded, she walked off, tipping Petunia on the way out.

And Ivalin sat there, watching the pie melt onto the plate. The crust was soggy, and it was lukewarm, but she ate it.

The warm touch of Lyia still hadn't gone away.