50

"How long have you been having these pains?" Doc Gilbert asked while examining Elyria the following week.

"They started three days ago but were sporadic and eventually stopped." Elyria licked her dry lips and clenched her eyes shut when another cramp hit her. Once it passed, she let out a sigh. "They started again early this morning, and I thought they might go away but have since become much stronger and more frequent."

"About every ten to fifteen minutes between each one," Daphne added from the opposite side of the bed. "I started keeping track after the third consecutive one when I arrived earlier."

Doc hmmm'd for a moment and finished his exam, then adjusted the blanket over Elyria's lap again. "It's just as I suspected. You, my dear Mrs. Monterose, are in labor."

"But it's too soon," Elyria gasped, "isn't it?"

"A few weeks early, yes," he murmured, concern evident in his voice. Then, giving Elyria's hand a reassuring pat, he continued, "But we're prepared for this, as much as we can be, at least. I do suggest trying to rest while you're able. You'll need your strength for when the work truly begins."

He closed up his medical bag and walked around the bed, "Today must be the day for babies. Mrs. Halpine has gone into labor this morning—her first as well." At the door, he came to a stop. "I count both of us fortunate to have someone as experienced as Mrs. Morton here to assist you until I return, but don't hesitate to send someone for me if things progress faster than expected."

Daphne showed him out, then returned to the room. "Would you like me to send word to Everett?"

Elyria shook her head. "There's nothing he can do at this point. He'll only worry."

Daphne clucked her tongue. "You may be correct about that, but I reserve the right to use my own judgment and notify him when I deem prudent."

"Fine," Elyria said with a roll of her eyes and ignored the pang of guilt that formed in her gut. She wanted Everett, but the thought of him being here and seeing her this way sent a wave of panic through her. Another pain hit, and she wrapped her arms around her belly with a groan.

When it passed, she slowly relaxed with a sigh and tried to roll to her opposite side. "I want to walk around a bit. Is that allowed?"

"I don't see why not," Daphne murmured, helping Elyria to sit on the edge of the bed. "Go easy, though, just in case."

Dizziness assailed her the first few minutes on her feet, but once the room stopped spinning and she started walking, she sighed in relief, then chuckled when a thought struck her.

"What are you giggling about?" Daphne asked. "I don't remember finding anything about labor humorous, quite the opposite, actually."

Elyria smiled and rubbed the ache settling low in her back. "How surprised do you think Everett would be if I showed up there with lunch and told him I'm in labor?"

Daphne scoffed. "I admit, it would be devilish fun if you managed to make it there. But you'd give the poor man a heart attack, and then he'd ban me from your side for the rest of our lives."

"What time is it?" Elyria asked, making her way around the bed when another pain gripped her.

"About a quarter to two," Daphne murmured, bracing her until the contraction eased. "Why do you ask?"

Elyria shook her head, ignoring the question, and winced, "How long were you in labor?"

They walked out into the main room and continued to the front door before wending their way around the perimeter.

When they reached the kitchen, Daphne finally said, "There's no easy way to say this, and I know you were present for both Anne and Williams, but it's one thing to be there and quite another to be the one in labor."

"Yes," Elyria panted, gritting her teeth against another pain, this one stronger than the last. "I've come to realize that much rather quickly."

Daphne patted her hand. "Anne was my worst, if you'll recall, at nearly twenty-four hours. William's was much easier at around seventeen, and dear Orie's fell in between the two."

Elyria groaned.

"You'll do quite a bit of that over the next several hours. And cursing," Daphne said with a laugh. "Simon told me with each one that my vocabulary never ceased to amaze him. I even managed to teach him a new word or two."

"I think I'd like to lie down now," Elyria said upon nearing her room on their walk.

"Will the couch do while I get the bed ready? It won't take but a moment, and I think it will help you rest a little easier knowing everything's in order."

Elyria nodded and ground her teeth against another contraction before following Daphne to the couch and sitting. But after only a few uncomfortable minutes, she soon found herself back on her feet, filled with restless energy. "Can I do anything to help?"

"Almost ready," Daphne called out, "How are you doing out there?"

Elyria opened her mouth to speak, but a sharp gasp escaped her instead. Bracing herself against the nearest wall, she hung her head and clenched her jaw, whimpering against the wave of pain until it eased and left her breathless. "They're getting worse."

"And closer together," Daphne murmured, walking to her. "Are you sure you don't want me to get Everett? He'll want to be here, and his presence might even offer some comfort."

Tears stung Elyria's eyes. She shook her head and choked back a sob.

Daphne was at her side in an instant, wrapping her in her arms. "Another pain? I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but I promise it will all be worth it in the end."

"No," Elyria cried, unable to hold back her emotions. "That isn't why—"

"What's wrong?"

Elyria hid her face against Daphne's neck and wept brokenly. "I'm afraid... and Everett's worried—" Her next contraction stole her breath and had her doubled over in pain until it lessened. "He won't admit it... but I know he is."

Wiping the tears from Elyria's face, Daphne sniffled and tucked a lock of hair behind Elyria's right ear. "Of course, he's worried. You both have every right to be. Childbirth is a deadly business. I know from firsthand experience."

"That doesn't help," Elyria cried. "I need you to tell me everything will be all right and that I'm worrying for nothing."

Daphne hugged her. "I've never lied to you, and I'll be damned if I start now." She sniffled and hung onto her when another contraction hit. "But I will say this," she fiercely whispered when Elyria relaxed. Daphne pulled back and gripped her by her upper arms, "Allow him to be here with you, draw strength from one another, and no matter the outcome, you won't regret it."