CHAPTER SIX.

"I think we ought to be moving." Dadi, finally says. Following a bit of drama, the girls and Dadi move towards the nearest autorickshaw. After a bit of haggling, they finally get in and drive off to meet the famed Jyotish.

They get down in front of a two-storey building that seems desperate to appear fancy. It is located in an area with very few houses nearby. And among those few houses, it stands out quite distinctly. It had been painted a rather gaudy purple that is utterly mismatched with the bring orange paint on the gate and the hood. There is a huge board kept on the balcony of the house that screams out in big, bold letters:

JYOTISH VEENA. (Astrologer and Crystal Ball reading.)

VERY PRECISE AND ACCURATE READING.

IF YOU HAVE ANY FINANCIAL OR ROMANTIC PROBLEMS, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOUR SOLUTIONS.

The place screams fraudulent to both Riddhi and Shweta wonder how the latter's extra aware grandmother is unable to see through this.

"Seriously Dadi, haven't you been watching the news lately?" Shweta cannot help but say.

"What about the news? Was there another cyclone in Odisha?" Her grandmother asks.

"No, I'm talking about all those fraud babas and fake astrologers." Shweta says, rather bluntly and Riddhi's eyes widen.

"No, no. Jyotish Veena is not like those. She's very, very accurate." Dadi, insists, turning around to look at her.

"But Dadi, that's how people end up getting duped." Riddhi asserts as well.

"Nonsense. Seventy-one years of my life and never has a street vendor even sold me vegetables at a higher price. You, young people afraid of everyone." Dadi snorts as she walks towards the house and pushes the hefty gate, which creaks open.

"We don't have a choice but fear," Riddhi says, under her breath.

They stand at the plastic door in front of the house as Dadi rings the bell. A few minutes later, they hear clinking of anklets as a woman opens the door. "You've come here to meet Veenaji?" She asks, rather snottily.

"Yes, I have. I'm a very old client. How long shall I have to wait?" Dadi asks, quite politely.

"Well, there are three people waiting for a consultation but since you're an old client, I'll push you up. Also, we have a special Dakshina box for old clients. You can offer your prayers there." She says, pointing to a large box with a hole sitting in front of an idol of a goddess. (Dakshina: money, gifts offered normally to priests to thank them for their service or to the temple as a whole.)

"Prayers, my ass. This is so very fraudulent. I can smell cheating in the air." Shweta whispers.

"Exactly. I don't understand how this place has not been busted yet." Riddhi whispers back.

Superstition is perhaps one of the greatest flaws among Indians. The long list of don't-do-things-because, never really seems to end. Don't eat meat cause it's Friday. Don't cut nails after sundown because it's inauspicious. Don't whistle at night. Don't use the term 'snake' because it's a summer month. Blind faith binds one to perform activities that one would normally not perform. Faith, trust and beliefs form an integral part of an individual's life; no matter what you believe in or what you don't. Playing on the greatest fears of the Indian population is perhaps among the biggest, hidden industries in India. What began thousands of years ago as practical knowledge with deep wisdom has now been reduced to mere customs. The insight and the reason have been left behind and people have only cherry-picked rituals from the surface. This is perhaps why certain rules and customs appear so ridiculous- because they've been taken out of context and implemented like some odd, fastidious rule.