CHAPTER THIRTEEN.

When Vaibhav had imagined Shweta walking into the school campus, he had thought it would be with Riddhi. Having spotted Riddhi in the ground, he'd hastened towards her only for her to greet him coldly.

"Where's Shweta?" He'd demanded, taking her by the elbow.

"Do I look like her secretary?" Riddhi had said, taking her arm away from him and pushing him out of her way.

Quite taken aback, he'd panicked and followed her which had only aggravated her further, "What do you mean?" He'd said.

"I meant exactly what I said. I'm not her secretary." Riddhi had said, refusing to give him an answer.

"But.." He'd trailed off, almost about to add you always know where she is.

"But?" Riddhi had glared at him, daring him to go further and he was certain he would end up with a punch on the face. It was best not to provoke the saintly Riddhi for when her temper broke free, hell cascaded with the wrath matching that of Satan. He had witnessed it more than once when they were children and he had pushed her to her limit.

Instead, resorting to a plea he had asked again, "Could you please tell me where she is? I really need to know, Riddhi. "

Riddhi's eyes had softened and she had relented only to inform him that she had had a fight with Shweta following which she dramatically proclaimed that she wouldn't even be attending 'that girl's funeral. Vaibhav was not interested in funerals, epitaphs, and anything of that kind at the moment and he had only let a sympathetic ear to her grumbling, his impatient eyes scanning for Shweta in the crowd.

When Riddhi had finally finished her list of complaints, none of which Vaibhav heard but was pretty certain it had something to do with snakes, Taylor Swift's new song lyrics, graveyards, ungrateful best-friends, and silly fortune-tellers who didn't know what acetic acid was. Not even bothering to process the colorful information that had been presented to him, he had dashed off to wait at the entrance hoping that Riddhi's droning hadn't made him miss Shweta.

Number two thing that Vaibhav hadn't anticipated was that Shweta would be flanked by the company when she walked into the school gates. Followed by a short-haired, short girl who looked suspiciously like her sister Shruti, of whom Shweta always spoke about, and another guy who seemed to be a bit older than Shweta, most probably her sister's friend.

Not wasting another moment, he had marched on towards her, desperately hoping that Shweta's sister wouldn't have anything untoward to say to him. He hoped she didn't know of the little pregnancy fiasco.

But the condescending "Hey, Vaibhav"  which Shruti drawled was proof enough that she knew. All the gory details, while Shweta stood next to her looking abashed and surprisingly meek.

Without even waiting to gauge his reaction or give him a chance to respond she'd moved onto Shweta, smirking as she said, "This is the little boyfriend, huh? Well, I'll leave you both alone now."

And just as she was walking away, she'd turned back to walk up to Vaibhav and glare up at him. With so much ferocity brimming her strikingly green eyes, almost a foot shorter than him.

"See the thing is." She said cordially, as she stepped back as if she hadn't just given him a death stare. "I actually think you're nice. And maybe good enough for Little Miss Modern over here. Don't make me change my mind."

And with that threat delivered in a very cordial manner, she was off without so much as a second glance at him or her sister. The guy, who Vaibhav had rightly judged as her friend, hurried to follow her with a bewildered expression on his face.

"Don't mind her," Shweta muttered darkly at her sisters retreating back. "God knows she's parading around with a date as well."

Vaibhav, rather flummoxed but not very interested in the parades that Shruti did, had asked her, "Can we talk?"