Chapter 26

Jack breathed out as he finally managed to make it past the gate, the bolt cutters clicking home on the last rung of the chainlink fence. Placing it back in his bag, he moved the small hole he'd created to the side and squeezed through. Going through the front was suicide, way too many guards, as well as metal detectors that could easily sense any weapons he would have tried to bring through. Thankfully, the scouting that he and Alison had done in the few hours before the conference had managed to locate a small blindspot between a fence and some bushes. With that, Jack was easily able to sneak in undetected. Now that he was inside, it was a matter of avoiding the countless FBI and Secret Service agents that were around. His gut told him that Alison's plan wasn't a good one, but he didn't have many other ideas on how to do this. Seeing that the coast was clear, he moved out of the bushes towards the tent, hiding behind a small pile of crates, waiting for two FBI operatives to move past. Rounding the tent, he spotted his destination: a watchtower that had a spotlight on the front of it. It was perfectly illuminated so that anyone looking directly at the tower wouldn't see who was on it, and had cover that Jack could use to hide. Everyone's attention was focused on the podium, but he knew that he would still have a limited amount of time to climb the ladder. Rushing over fast, he began to scale the rungs until he finally made it to the top, ducking down so that no one could see him. Once he was certain the coast was clear, he unzipped the bag he'd brought with him. Inside was the SVU sniper rifle he'd picked up from Randall's armoury, equipped now with a suppressor to mask the noise of the weapon firing. Flipping up the scope, he waited to hear the applause that would signal the Secretary's arrival. Upon hearing it, he crouched up and aimed through the large bulbs of the spotlight. Waiting a few moments, he picked his target, breathed out, and pulled the trigger.

Seeing the bullet find its mark in Denholm's shoulder, he quickly flipped down the scope, changing it to close-quarters mode. It was all up to Alison now, and it was his job to act as basically the distraction. Sliding down the ladder, Jack moved quickly towards the hole in the fence he'd made. Then, he heard someone shout to his right. "Contact, over here!" The chattering sound of machine gun fire reverberated through Jack's ears, and he ducked for cover behind a truck. Peeking out, he could see an FBI agent with an SMG firing at him. He knew his tactics. He was hoping to keep Jack pinned down until backup arrived. Unfortunately for the agent, he'd underestimated Jack. Flipping down the scope of the sniper rifle and bringing up its iron sights, Jack aimed through the wheels of the truck and shot the agent in the knee, bringing him down to the ground with a yell of pain. Getting back up, he ran towards the fence while hearing other agents behind him. "DeLancie!" He heard a familiar voice yell, and he turned to see the older FBI agent from the alleyway behind the nightclub chasing after him with a determined look on his face. That same feeling of hesitation went through Jack's mind, but he knew he had to shake it, since it was his life on the line now. Making it to the fence, he dove through the hole and ran towards the outside. Looking around, he needed a fast car. Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted a Corvette Stingray parked not too far away from the Memorial. "Oh, why not." Jack muttered as he ran towards the car. Breaking the window with the butt of his rifle, he opened the door and managed to quickly hotwire the car as the agents closed in. Peeling off, he drove down the Washington streets, hoping to lose them.

Holloway saw Jack disappear through the bushes, and followed him out behind the fence. Watching him run across the lawn, he drew his pistol. "Stop!" He shouted as he aimed at Jack, but he could feel his heart pounding from the exertion. He couldn't focus, couldn't aim. He wasn't as young as he used to be. He heard the screeching of tires as he watched DeLancie drive away in a sports car. Hearing another car drive up beside him, he turned to see Marcusson open the door of an Escalade. "Get in!" Rushing inside, the SUV peeled off, along with other police cars in pursuit. Marcusson was shouting into the radio. "This is Agent Paul Marcusson of the FBI, calling out a high-priority ABP. Suspect's name is Jack DeLancie, age 27, black hair, green eyes, Caucasian. Suspected assassination attempt on Secretary of Defence Alistair Denholm. Suspect is currently driving a black 2017 Corvette Stingray, licence number Bravo Hotel Sierra Zulu 039, and is headed west on Arlington Memorial Bridge. Suspect is armed and highly dangerous!" Turning off the radio, Marcusson looked at Holloway. "You alright, sir?" Nodding, Holloway breathed heavily. "I'm fine, let's just get this son of a bitch." Looking out the front window, Holloway could see Jack turn onto the bridge, making his way through traffic, swerving across the road dangerously. The sirens on the police cars cleared the road for them, but Jack was still able to stay ahead. Holloway frowned slightly as he gripped the seat armrest and stared at Jack's car. "Where the hell is he going?"

Braking, Jack jerked the steering wheel and dodged another car in front of him, who honked and swerved to the side of the road. Pressing his foot down, he knew he had to keep going fast to get ahead of these guys. Hearing the familiar sounds of helicopter blades, he looked out the window to see an FBI chopper following him across the bridge, along with no doubt several news choppers who were beginning to get their coverage of the event. Jack could see the end of the bridge coming up, and knew he would have to turn soon. Suddenly, the back of his car was rammed, and he looked into the rearview mirror to see one of the cop cars hitting his rear end, making the whole vehicle shake. The cruiser did it again, and Jack tried to weave the car back and forth to try and lose him. Jack could see the police car pull up beside him, and Jack knew that he was going to try and make him spin out, and end this quickly. Seeing that the end of the bridge was coming up, Jack knew he only had one option. He may not have enough space to make the turn, but it would have to do. Reaching down, he sped up slightly on the gas, then slammed on the brake while turning the wheel sideways. The car started to powerslide, its back end touching the front of the police cruiser behind him, turning it and making it hit the back of a minivan that was trying to get out of the way. Jack's car went sideways across the road, until it finally cleared the end of the bridge. Hitting the accelerator and turning the wheel, he managed to straighten the car out, and went straight through the roundabout that came after the bridge, turning left onto the road, heading towards his destination.