Chapter 27

The collision on the bridge had caused several other cars to back up, including Holloway's SUV. "Shit!" Holloway shouted, then motioned to the driver. "The gap, go, go!" Gunning the engine, the driver managed to push the Escalade through the gap between two cars, making it across the bridge. Turning left, they followed Jack on the road he'd made it onto. "Target is now heading south on George Washington Memorial Parkway!" Marcusson said into the radio. Holloway knew now that something was up. Whoever was in that police car had tried to run DeLancie off the road, not caring whether he died or not. He was remembering New York when all of a sudden, several other police cars came barreling down the road behind them, passing the Escalade. "The hell? Where'd they come from?" One of the agents wondered out loud as they pulled in front and surrounded Jack's car. All of a sudden, several gunshots started coming from the windows of the cars, hitting Jack's vehicle and shattering the windows. Ducking instinctively, Marcusson spoke again. "Shots fired, repeat, shots fired!" Holloway's eyes widened. "Driver, take out that car in front of us." The agent was confused. "Sir? That's a cop." Holloway stared at him. "If he's shooting at DeLancie, then he's not one of ours. Disable him, that's an order!" Nodding, the agent accelerated into the back of the police car directly ahead of them, damaging it and making it swerve slightly. Coming alongside it, they pitted it, making it spin out and drive down into the ditch. Holloway cursed himself for not trusting his gut earlier, and hoped he was still right. Suddenly, the window next to him shattered as he ducked. "Get down!" Marcusson shouted as bullets pierced the SUV. Jack wasn't the only target now.

Jack ducked down as bullets shattered the windows next to him, and knew that Ralston had sent some of his men after him. Pulling his pistol out from his pocket, he shot a few times at the police car on his left, not hitting anything, but trying to at least make them draw back. Jerking the steering wheel to the left, he hit the cop car and grinded against it. Aiming inside of the car, he shot the cop in the driver's seat, making him hit the wheel and the car turn to the side, moving across oncoming traffic and hitting another car. Jack could still hear the chopper above him, and knew he needed to lose that too. Then, the gunshots began to lessen, and he could see in the rearview mirror that the cops had begun firing at the lone Escalade that was following him. Apparently those FBI agents weren't in Ralston's good graces anymore. Jack knew that he should just let them fight and make his escape...but he found himself arguing that he couldn't. He gently moved the car in front of one of the other pursuit vehicles that was on the side of the Escalade, then slammed on the brakes. The cop car swerved and was hit by the back of the Stingray, then simply stopped in the middle of the road, both of its occupants dead. As Jack accelerated again, he caught a glimpse of the interior of the Escalade, and saw the agent from the alleyway again. Pulling ahead of the Escalade, he shot at the cop car on the other side, shattering the windshield. While the two cops inside were distracted, the FBI agents in the SUV shot at the wheels of the cop car, making the rims scrape against the road and spin out, the car flipping onto its side and roll over back upright, unable to move anymore.

Now it was just the Stingray and Escalade left, Jack pulling far ahead of the FBI agents. Holloway looked up at the car ahead of them, and then his eyes widened, wondering why Jack would try and help them. Marcusson was looking at him with disbelief. "Sir? Are you alright?" Suddenly, the agents heard more bullets and ducked down, only to find that they weren't being shot at them, but instead at their tires, making the driver brake and watch as Jack drove off. Holloway hit the door as he opened it. "Shit!" Walking onto the parkway, he saw Jack speeding off with the helicopter following. "How long until backup gets here?" Marcusson shrugged. "2-5 minutes." Looking at the car, then at Holloway, Marcusson frowned. "Why did he help us?" Shaking his head, Holloway sighed. "I don't know. But when we catch him, he's gonna have a hell of a lot of explaining to do." He felt his phone buzz, then saw it was Chelsea calling. Sighing, he answered it. "Look, this isn't a really good time-" Chelsea interrupted him. "Jesus, there you are! I've been trying to call you all day! The cops are down here, someone just tried to kill me! It's about DeLancie...his files, everything. I managed to locate some deleted files in our own history, and I got locked out. His name came up in the search spider. All of his personal information was authorized for release by someone named Franklin Ralston." Holloway's eyes widened, and his heart stopped. "Holloway? Holloway, are you there?" Chelsea said, and Holloway spoke quietly. "Delete all of your search history, everything, make sure it's gone. Chelsea, these people are dangerous, and everywhere. You need to leave as soon as you can." Hanging up, he looked at Marcusson. "Get me the Director on the phone, now!"