14. Bestie Ain't The Best Anymore

Kao

Next morning, I was waiting for Pete in the parking lot of our campus. As soon as his car arrived, I displayed a card board in front of him which said "Please make your way to the area where the students assemble."

He nodded in curiosity. I signalled him to follow the written command so he walked to the campus compound where a small poster was pasted on the pillar.

"Happy birthday once again babe.
Can you please walk to the place where we tend to empty our overflowing bladders?" he read it out loud.

"Mini again?" he looked annoyed.
I nodded.

He reached the restroom and found a sticky note on the mirror near the third basin.

"I am really sorry. I'm ready to apologize for my stupidity a million more times. Would you come back then?
The next cue awaits you in the place where the core working system of IT students resides."

"What's going on?" he asked while glaring at me, however, the pitch of his voice had softened.

"You'll get to know..." I whispered as I blinked at him like an innocent puppy.

He entered the computer lab and looked around. Seventh desktop in the first row was switched on in which a slide was displaying.

"I know that I'm an idiot. I shouldn't have taken you for granted. But I've realised my mistake. Please come back. I miss you already!
Would you mind if I ask you to find a book named 'Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen'?"

His temper seemed slightly tamed by then.
He hurried towards the library. I, who had been following him all along called Mini in order to ask her to be ready.

He went through the shelf of historical books.

"You should look for it in here, Pete." I laughed at his foolishness and pointed at a shelf filled with romantic novels.

He stratched his head and moved to the romance section.
"I honestly have no idea what this book is about."

"I guessed that. " I smiled at him.

After succeeding in finding the book, he turned some pages and took out a note which said-
"If I dare to miss this chance of being with you, I'm gonna regret it forever. Please forgive your dumbass girlfriend. Pleeeease..."

He rolled his eyes and looked at me in anticipation.

"The place where you and Mini meet in between the classes. T- That's the last stop." I stuttered as anxiety took up my senses.

He raised a brow and stepped out of the library. I peeped out the window to check if Mini was there in the garden. After realising that she hadn't reached the spot yet, I ran downstairs to stop Pete but he had already disappeared.
I quickly walked outside and saw him strolling around.
"Hey Pete..." I panted.

I had left for the university before Pete that morning because Mini was forcing me to add some spice to her apology. I had come up with this idea but I wasn't sure if Pete would prefer that. I was a hopeless romantic unlike him. The idea was loosely inspired from Love Actually, my favourite christmas movie of all time. It was a bit cliché and dumb but I couldn't come up with a better option. I just hoped that he would atleast appreciate the effort.

"Just wait here for a minute-" I said while making him sit on a bench.
I looked behind only to find Mini struggling to carry some big card boards while Pond, Tin and Nia followed her.

"Why don't you guys help her?" I asked while picking up the boards that fell out of her hands.

"We don't even know what you're up to. Why did you call us by the way? " Tin asked.