P r o l o g u e

Tahiyyah stands tense, her hands clenched into fists.

She narrows her eyes into slits, glaring at me.

"I hate you, you pathetic sad excuse for a man," she spits out- her voice sharper than a dagger.

"I love you," I whisper brokenly.

She rolls her eyes, "of course, you do. You are nothing without me, you need me."

Tears sting the back of my eyes but I push them back. I am a man, I will not cry.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, "I've given you everything I had."

She laughs- the sound cold and cruel. Looking at her, I can't help but recall words that I had read years ago.

'You're like snow, beautiful but cold.'

My wife could not fit that description more perfectly. Her dark hair- always soft and silky- framing a heart shaped face. Her alabaster skin free of blemishes and her doe brown eyes appear golden in the sun. But, her heart is made of stone. Her lips are always drawn down in a frown. Her beautiful eyes narrowed in a glare and her voice chillingly cold. She takes the phrase 'ice queen' to a whole new level.

"No, do not forget that the reason you have a roof over your head right now is because of me. The food on the table, is because of me. You're walking around a free man? Me. So it'll do you well to remember that," She scoffs and turns back to the pot on the stove.

Once her back is turned, I know that signals the end of our discussion.

I stand up, squaring my shoulders. I have been silent for too long, I refuse to allow her to once more dismiss me as if I'm nothing more than a piece of trash. For once I decide that I won't go along with it.

Anger that I didn't know I had courses through my veins.

That, mixed with adrenaline, gives me the courage to open my mouth.

"NO! That's not because of you, this house and that food is because I slogged like a dog. The reason I'm free is because I am innocent. Everything that's here?" I say gesturing around us, "is because I put my blood, sweat and tears into making sure you never have to want for anything. And what have you done in return? You lied and turned my kids against me." I say through gritted teeth.

The silence that follows my words is deafening.

After a moments pause, her shoulders begin to shake and I feel the guilt set in.

I shouldn't have said that, the last thing I want is to hurt her. I'm supposed to protect her, I promised.

I open my mouth to apologize but her cackles fill the air and I realize that she wasn't crying but instead laughing at me, mocking me.

Before I can comprehend what's happening, she turns and throws the pot at me.

Howls of agony escape me as an excruciating pain takes over my body. I can feel the scalding oil melt my clothes into my skin.

I try to open my eyes but it requires too much effort and soon I give into the darkness that surrounds me.

Okay so I know you guys are probably thinking 'what the hell is wrong with this author? She keeps posting new stories but never updates them

Okay so I know you guys are probably thinking 'what the hell is wrong with this author? She keeps posting new stories but never updates them."

So I just want to point out that this isn't a new story. It's actually been on my Inkitt account for awhile but now I've decided to post it on Wattpad as well.

While Wattpad is my main writing platform, this story will always be updated first on Inkitt. All my other stories will be updated on Wattpad first, though.

I AM working on updates for all four of my stories. Sorry for the inconsistency with updates.

Start: 2019
End: —

Shatteringsoul.