C h a p t e r : 1

22 years earlier.

Hamza and Tahiyyah.

Tahiyyah and Hamza.

Has a nice ring to it, yeah?

I know that if anyone looks at me their first thought would be that I'm as high as a freaking kite, but no matter what I do I just can't wipe the dopey smile off my face.

"Seriously Hamza, I get that you're happy but stop smiling like that," my brother whines. "Your smile will give the joker a run for his money."

I try to stop smiling, "I can't."

"Leave him alone, it's a special occasion," my mum jumps to my defense.

She stands in front of me, placing her hands on my face.

With teary eyes she says, "My little boy is all grown up."

Groaning, I wipe her tears, "ma, don't cry."

She sniffles, "I can't help it, it seems like just yesterday I was cleaning after you and fighting with you to eat your veggies."

My dad laughs, "that's because it actually was yesterday."

Mum turns around and glares at dad.

"Alright, alright I'll be quiet," dad raises his hands in surrender.

When mum turns back around he sends me mischievous wink. I shake my head, muffling a chuckle.

"Are you ready, my baby?" my mother questions- still a bit teary-eyed.

My father claps me on the back, "Ready or not. It's to late to change your mind, the nikah is done."

My brother pretends to wipe a tear, "It was nice knowing you."

I roll my eyes at his antics.

"Ignore those two idiots," my mother says.

"Can we leave now?" I question- eager to see my bride.

They all laugh, muttering about how whipped I am already.

Heat creeps up my neck. I duck my head before anyone can notice and all but run to the car.

A few minutes later, my family joins me and we race off to the reception hall.

When we arrive at the venue, I note that all the parking spots are full and the lot is empty of people.

Late to my own wedding.

Unbelievable.

I practically leap out of the car.

"Relax, my boy," my father stops me. "I'm sure Tahiyyah has not yet arrived."

I nod, taking a deep breath.

"Besides, it's not like you can see her now," my brother reminds, "you still have to wait until after the function."

I groan, "that's so long."

My mother shrugs her shoulders carelessly, "too bad."

I stand gaping at her retreating figure as my father and brother yet again burst into a fit of laughter.

On entering the hall, I smile in satisfaction when I realize that everything is quite simple.

I'm a simple guy. We could have had this wedding in our backyard, braai-ing some meat and wearing old basketball shorts and I would have been happy.

But as my mother reminded me, marriage is about compromise and that Tahiyyah- much like most girls- probably fantasized about her wedding day since she was a little girl. It wouldn't be fair to deprive her of that dream.

With that thought in mind, I left all the planning in her hands. I wanted this day to be perfect for her and would not jeopardize it by adding my input. So to see that this wonderful woman has taken into consideration my distaste for ostentatious things warms my heart.

I haven't even taken two steps through the door before I'm bombarded with people congratulating me.

After many handshakes and pats on the back, I'm finally able to make my way to my seat.

I'm about to sit down when suddenly I'm spun around and pulled into a hug.

"Welcome to the family, my boy," I realize the man hugging me is my new father-in-law.

"Take care of my daughter or there'll be hell to pay," he warns.

"I promise to do my best, sir." And I mean every word.

"Good, now enough of this sir nonsense," he waves a hand in dismay, "call me dad."

"Okay, si-dad." Man that's going to take some getting used to.

Tahiyyah's father beams and I can't help but return it.

"Come on now, take your seats," he instructs, "the food is about to be served."

Time flies in a blur of jokes, advice and congratulations.

Finally the day draws to an end and I stare at the clock impatiently. It's been a long and tiring day filled with celebrations. I am more than ready to collect my wife and go home.

When majority of the guests have left I'm taken to my bride.

My eyes are drawn to her the moment I enter the room. Everything else fades away but the woman in front of me.

My wife.

It's been a few hours and I still haven't grasped the fact that I'm a married man. No longer can I come and go as I please. I have to think about her before I do anything. Put her needs before my own.

A strike of fear shoots through me.

What if I'm not a good husband?

What if I hurt her?

So many what if's but despite it all, I can't help the elation I feel at looking at her.

She is absolutely breathtaking. Her petite frame hidden by the poofy wedding dress. Her husky voice a complete contrast to her doll-like face.

She lowers her gaze- blushing under my scrutiny- yet try as I might I couldn't stop staring.

Her mother stands next to her, taking her hand into her own. She whispers a few words to her daughter and then gently pulls her towards me.

She takes my hand and places Tahiyyah's hand in it.

"I wish the two of you a happy marriage," she smiles.

Tahiyyah steps to my side as our parents and siblings greet us.

Once the goodbye's have been said, tears have been shed- courtesy of our two mothers although I'm pretty sure I saw my father-in-law wiping away a stray tear- Tahiyyah and I jump into the car and speed off into the sunset.

"To our happily ever after," she grins.

I smiled intertwining our hands and resting it on my thigh.

"And beyond that."

This story is a bit different from my usual stories

This story is a bit different from my usual stories. Instead of featuring teenagers/young adults, the lead characters are going to be a bit older and of course the biggest difference is that it's a love story.

Vote.
Comment.

Shatteringsoul