C h a p t e r : 3

"HAMZA!"

"I'm coming, give me a minute," I call out to my impatient wife.

She sighs, "you said that 10 minutes ago. Come on, we're gonna be late."

"Alright, let's go," I say, grab my keys off the table next to the front door.

I hug her from behind as she locks the door, "stop stressing, we still have plenty of time."

Today is Tahiyyah's first visit to the OBGYN and to say that she's nervous is an understatement.

It's been a month since we found out she's pregnant and while I tried to get her to go to the doctor immediately after, Tay has been adamant on waiting a few weeks.

I grab her hand and lead her to the car. I open the door for her and wait until she's seated comfortably before closing it. Rounding the car, I jump in the drivers side.

We're two blocks away from the surgery when I notice Tay nervously biting her nails.

Keeping my eyes on the road, I reach over and intertwine our hands.

"Don't be nervous, sweetheart. I'm sure Sanaa is fine," I reassure her.

She wrinkles her nose, "we are not naming her Sanaa."

"What's wrong with that name?"

"It just makes me think of a diva," she shrugs.

I sigh dramatically, "Well can't have that since her mother is already one, I don't think I can handle two of divas."

"Hey, I'm not a diva," she protests-playfully whacking me on my shoulder.

"Didn't anyone ever tell not to hit the driver," I poke my tongue out at her.

She giggles as I park the car.

"I hope that we get to see Inaam on the ultrasound today," I guide her out of the car.

She giggles, "you really can't decide whether you want a boy or a girl."

"I know I want both a son and a daughter, I just can't decide which I want the first to be."

"Well, I just want a healthy baby but I have a feeling it's gonna be a girl," Tay says as we step into the waiting room.

She walks up to the reception desk to give her name and sign some papers.

I take a seat in the corner of the room. Glancing around I note there is a cluster of plush waiting room chairs around a coffee table for families, a quiet space for professionals, and a child-friendly corner to keep kids entertained without bothering others. The reception room's design is minimal and serene, conveying the practice's modernity, while the pops of color, floral patterns and excess of natural light give off welcoming vibes.

Tahiyyah makes her way to the seat next me. I wrap my arm around her shoulder as she leans into me.

"How long do we have to wait?"

"The receptionist said that there's still two patients ahead of us," she sighs.

"And you were having aneurysm because I wanted to use the bathroom before we left," I tease.

She rolls her eyes but doesn't bother to hide her smile.

"When do you wanna tell the toppie and tannie?" I ask.

"I'm not sure," she bites her lip absentmindedly, "maybe after the appointment?"

"Okay, mum called us over for supper tonight so maybe we can go to your mum's for lunch?"