Chapter 12

"OK. We're here." I say as I pull up next to the curb and put the truck in park and set the parking brake.

Madison raises her eyebrows, "Here.... where?"

I look up at the two story gray and white building and sigh, "Home." I turn the truck off and hop out with the keys in hand, slamming the door behind me as I do so. I walk up to the front door and ring the doorbell, I wait as the chime rings through the house before someone answers and I look up into the agitated face of my brother.

"Hey big bro, what's up? Happy to see me?"

He looks at me, his expression blank, "....Katrina?"

"Hey! Good to see you too! I missed you bro." I pulled him in for a hug and barged past him into the house, looking around.

"Hey, where's dad? Does he know I'm here yet?" I ask as I walk into the kitchen.

"Uhm, Jackson? Hello? Earth to Jackson, can you hear me?" I stick my head out of the kitchen when I didn't hear a reply. My eyes narrow as I see Travis and Madison standing in the doorway, having a glaring contest with Jackson.

I walk between Travis and Jackson and push them apart. "Hello? Jackson! You're sister just got back after weeks of being away, and you have nothing to say?! I asked you a question! Where is dad!?"

Jackson's glare switched from Travis to me. "Dad is out with Ben."

I wrinkled my nose. "Ben? Why? I thought he didn't like him?"

Jackson sighed, "He doesn't. But he wanted to talk to your.... boyfriend about your absence for the past few weeks."

"Excuse me? Boyfriend?!" Travis jumped in and sent as accusatory glare my way.

I looked at him, "What?! So I have a boyfriend! Big deal!"

He glared at me and took a step closer, "Yeah, it is a big deal."

Jackson pushed Travis away from me. "Hey back off, I don't need any fighting. Speaking of which-" he turned to Travis and Madison, "-shouldn't you two be at your own home, as the children of the current alpha of the Day-Walkers?"

Madison shrugged, "Probably, but we just had to deliver Katrina home." She shoots an accusatory glance at Travis then at me.

Jackson looks at her, "...Uh-huh.... "

"Well, it's been fun but I think we should be going, Dad is probably worried about us Travis..... Eheheh... heh..." Madison clapped her hands and, looking slightly embarrassed, walked back towards the truck.

"Actually, wait." Travis grabbed her arm, "I'd like to visit further with Jackson, if he, after all, is gonna be the future alpha of our rival pack and if we're going to be getting along later."

Jackson shot a glare at Travis who sent a triumphant gaze my way. I glower at him but reluctantly stepped aside to let him and Madison in.

I lead them to the living room sitting down on the small couch, spreading my limbs out so I don't have to sit next to anyone.

"Ahem." Jackson clears his throat, looking pointedly at my legs taking up the couch.

"Tch, fine." I sit up, leaving room for Travis to sit down next to me, unfortunately.

Jackson looks around the room at us, surveying each of our faces before landing on mine.

Dammit.

"Katrina."

That's Dad's tone...... Double dammit.

"Where you have you been?"

"Uhm... You know.. out, stretching my legs.... feeling the wind in my fur... that kind of stuff. Heh."

"Look at me when I'm speaking to you."

I look up sharply at his tone, his choice of words. Something's changed. Something... doesn't feel right.

I shift in my seat, Travis feels my stirring anxiety and discreetly puts a hand at the small of my back.

I meet Jackson's hard gaze, finding steely determination in it.

No... something doesn't feel right at all...

"Travis."

He looks up at me, "Yes?"

"I want you to leave. Now."

His brow wrinkles, "Excuse me?"

I look at him, trying to convey a silent warning. "You heard me."

He moves to get up, Madison staring at us.

"No. You will stay." Jackson interrupts.

"You don't get to make that decision Jackson. You're not the alpha." I glare at him, my anxiety growing.

"You're right, I'm not, yet."

"What do you mean by 'yet'?!"

He smiles coldly, "Katrina, did it ever occur to you that things have changed around here since you've been gone?"

***

A/N hey guys!! Ik it's been awhile, OK, quite awhile, and I also know this chapter is short, I'm sorry, but I hope you enjoyed reading it nonetheless. Ngl, I planned for this chapter to go a bit different than this, but I like the new turn of events and I'm excited for the next chapters to come.

Anyway, IDK when the next chapter will be out, hopefully soon but I can't promise anything. Stay healthy and safe, remember to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds and stay home as much as possible, and is you have to go out avoid crowded places and keep your distance from people, at least 6 feet apart.

(And please excuse any grammar or spelling mistakes in this chapter, I didn't read through and edit it, I wanted to get this out as quickly as possible.)

Once again, thank you for reading and stay safe and healthy.

-E.S.