15 | the heart wants what it wants

There may be a million reasons why I should give you up. But the heart wants what it wants.❞

-------

Disclaimer: This chapter contains explicit content.

JESSAMINE

"So, do you want anything to eat? Or maybe drink?" Jacobs asks tentatively. Shaking my head in response, I walk towards the unoccupied bed, ready to call it a night. I'm strolling past him when his hand shoots out and latches onto my wrist, halting me in my steps. I avert my gaze, trying to look anywhere but in his chocolate eyes. He bites the inside of his cheek, unable to form words.

"Why are things so strained between us?" He inquires. I look at him, surprised, is he really asking me this question? I pull my wrist out of his grip and he frowns at me.

"If you still don't know, then there's no point in me trying to explain." I plop down on the bed and reach for the covers but Jacob interrupts me by sitting down next to me. I groan in frustration. Even though I'm craving his touch, I can't. I've been down this road before and it only ended in heartache.

"I know you hate my guts but just listen to me," Jacob pleads. If only that was the truth, everything would be so much simpler. I heave a sigh and turn to him, letting him know I'm listening.

He leans close to me. "You remember when I used to argue with my parents, I would always come to you? You were there just to listen to me ramble on and on and then we'd spend the whole night pigging out and watching trash movies," he states, playing the memory in his head. I quirk my lips in amusement. I distinctly remember him telling me that I was his person to unload his problems on.

"Yeah, we've changed so much since then. Now you have your girlfriend to do that." He gazes down at his hands when I speak, his mood completely changing.

"Yeah," he mumbles.

"Okay good talk, I'm going to sleep now."

I'm about to sleep when his voice interrupts me. "He's back, Jessa. He's back and he wants me to come with him." I halt at what he's saying and turn back to face him.

"What did Hazel say about his return?"

"Mom doesn't know. But I don't know what to do. Sure, he was a shitty husband, but he was never a shitty dad." He closes his eyes as if to forget about the day his life changed. I hesitantly grab his hand, and his eyes shoot open. He looks at me, his face clouding with confusion.

"I know you love him but he walked out on you Jacob. It's been 4 years and he never once looked back." Jacob gives me a halfhearted nod. "But if you're sure he's there to stay then build a connection with him, maybe you need it."

"You're right. I'll think about it. Thank you." I give him a smile in return. "I couldn't talk about this with Hales, it's just that she doesn't understand. She wasn't there when it all happened. She wasn't the one to comfort me back then.." He lets his hand go and instead intertwines our fingers, "...but you were." I look down, unnerved by his intense gaze.

"You did love me, didn't you?" He questions softly.

"Yeah, I mean-" I never get a chance to finish my sentence because Jacob's mouth descends on mine. I'm shocked at first, but one of his hands going to my neck jolts me out of my daze and I begin to respond. His teeth nibble on my lower lip, asking access to my mouth which I happily grant.

Our tongues begin to wrestle and he's about to pull away but I tug at his hair, which makes him growl.

(Explicit scene begins)