I

'Don't look like a beggar.'

Petting Marco for the last time over his head, I went to the couch and shoved my hand in between cushions to take out my phone which had been ringing for quite some time. I couldn’t hear it because it was shoved between couch seats. Carla was calling and it was an unexpected time for her to call because it was the weekend and I never had work on weekends. Carla was a sweetheart but she wasn’t lenient when it came to work and I shouldn’t be surprised that she called me even on weekends, my job wasn’t exactly high end.

I kept staring at the phone until it stopped ringing. I didn’t want to do anything on the weekend. And it wasn’t like I was the only one she could call, there were other people too. Besides I had plans. Plans to cuddle with Marco and watch romantic comedies. Was that too much to ask for? He was already upset with me.

The phone rang once again in my hand making me jump. I scowled at the device and decided to pick up. It wasn’t like she was asking me to do it for free, she’d pay me. And money was always good. 

“Hi, this is Las-“

“I know who you are. Get your ass here by 5 pm, it’s an emergency.” She yelled. I cringed at her tone and huffed out a breath.

“Like emergency, emergency?” Walking towards the fridge, I took out carton of juice and drank straight from it. I really did have to go didn’t I? Carla was never joking when she used that tone, well she never joked and was a grumpy old lady but I was an exception. She liked me.

“Yes. Now get ready and come here, don’t worry you’ll be paid extra.” Now that caught my attention and I started bobbing my head up and down while grinning from ear to ear.

“Yes, of course I’ll be there!” I hung up and ran inside the room to get ready. There was only half an hour ‘til 5 pm and I wish I would have picked up Carla’s call sooner. Obviously it was some high paying customer and if I had to give up on my plans with Marco for some extra cash, I would. And not to forget I’ll be able to buy Marco his new collar that he loved so much.

Throwing clothes on my single bed from the small wooden cupboard, I finally found something decent to wear. It was the only decent pair of clothes that I had, a slim fitted jeans and a white tee shirt and I knew I would have no time to change in to uniform because I was already late. Hope Carla would cut me some slack this time. I ran out of my shitty apartment after kissing Marco on the forehead as he barked in excitement. Yes, Marco is my little white Alaskan Malamute not my boyfriend but I love him to death and would even choose him over any boyfriend.

After getting ready and putting my hair in a ponytail, I ran out of the apartment. My apartment wasn’t huge but I loved it. I’m kidding. I hated it. It was so shitty, it was like two broom closets were smushed together and I barely had enough space to move around. It was one bedroom, kitchen and bathroom apartment, no living room. But I was thankful that I at least had separate kitchen and had a wall to my bedroom.

I wanted the privacy of my room. But it didn't make my apartment nice. It was a shit hole and I was lucky that I was a clean person and kept it clean otherwise it would really have looked like shithole.

But beggars cant be choosers, not that I was a beggar or anything but I used to barely live hand to mouth. It wasn't easy. It never had been so I had to live with what I had. And to be honest I was grateful that I actually had a place to stay and wasn't living on streets like I used to think at one time in my life.