Chapter VI

That Friday, Medusa came back. Aria felt a spark of something inside her at the sight of her. Medusa was wearing a black top with scattered gray paw prints, and dark green jeans Aria had given her. The gorgon, despite her writhing snakes and fluttering wings, looked more human that Aria had ever seen her. And in spite of Medusa’s strangely alluring immortal glow, her pale skin, hollow cheeks, and her large almond eyes – shining  a soft hue of greenish brown in the light of Aria’s hallway — together with that outfit, made her look like an elegant college girl not more than twenty-three. 

    Aria noted how it was a regular thing by now how they stand for moments on end just staring at each other. Aria didn’t know what Medusa saw when she looked at her – perhaps she just liked staring at a friendly face – but Aria liked to soak in Medusa’s beautiful immortality. She cursed when her phone sounded loudly, breaking their moment. It was only Virgil: sending her a funny Instagram post. After sending a short reply, she led the stiffening gorgon to the sitting room where she had set up her laptop. 

    “So why do you wanna do this anyway?”

    “I want to start using the Internet. I have the time to waste being immortal. Maybe I can step out of the shadows in the virtual world.”

    “Makes sense.” By now they were both seated at the coffee table, quite close. Medusa felt compelled to move away a bit, but when she did, Aria just scooted towards her, moving the small table as well. They both silently adjusted forward so Medusa’s wings were spread on the couch behind them.

    “Okay so this is a laptop, right? You can access the internet using lots of devices, like the cell phone. This is a cell phone by the way.” Aria held up her phone.

    “I’m honestly not much of an expert on how the whole thing works or how to become this great cyber person who makes money out of this but I can teach you the basics.”

    Aria started by showing her the buttons and mousepad on the laptop – specifically telling Medusa to be gentle with the device – then, she went on showing her how to research, use Google, visit websites. Aria even made her an email account (medusa.immortal.gorgon48, because, ironically, all the other Medusa's were taken) and showed her how to use it. She didn’t know what came next. Virgil had showed her how someone can make themselves visible online so she recited that to Medusa as well. 

    After a few hours, Aria just sat there as Medusa fiddled around. Medusa found it frustrating at first, but after some time she started to marvel at wideness that the internet offered. She started discovering things on her own. Medusa didn’t even notice when Aria’s head gently rested on her shoulder. 

    Aria woke up to the feeling of the sun hitting her face softly. She felt stiff – she must have fallen asleep in sitting position. Soft hissings of snakes surrounded her head. Medusa. Aria felt the gorgon’s wing wrapped around her as she sat, encasing her in warmth and comfort. When she opened her eyes, she was met with Medusa’s beautiful eyes staring back at her. She reciprocated the tentative smile Medusa gave her. 

    Aria stretched and groaned, the feathered wing only adjusting to her movements. 

    “What time is it?”

    “It says here that it is five A.M.”

    “Have you been up all night?”

    “Is that a problem?” Before Aria could respond that it is no problem at all, Medusa continued, “it’s just that there is so much to see. Did you know that there is this thing called Google Earth? You can see the world! There’s also this site called Omegle; it connects you with an absolutely random person. And there is social media…” If Medusa could blush, she would have been crimson; Aria was staring at her so intensely, her smile ever so bright. She hadn’t meant to run her mouth like that.