Chapter IX

“Can I ask something off topic?”, Mark asked while serving Medusa a cup of tea. She nodded after taking a sip, her forked tongue lathering in the heat of the drink.

    “Are you and my daughter a couple?” Medusa choked. The stirring caused Aria – still sleeping – to turn; now nestling into Medusa’s stomach. The latter flustered, and shook her head vigorously. For a ‘monster’, she was terrible at keeping a stoic façade. Athena would be disappointed, she thought.

    “Oh. Well. You certainly look like you like each other. I’ve always had my doubts about her, you know? She never looked too happy with guys.” They both looked down at the beautiful woman in Medusa’s lap. The gorgon put down her drink to brush a hand to Aria’s face, taking the moment to memorize – for the nth time now – her long dark lashes that hid beautiful gray eyes, her soft cheeks, dusted with a soft hue of light freckles, her plump pink lips that had felt like heaven against Medusa’s skin, her sharp jaw-line and high cheekbones strikingly similar to her father’s.

    Without looking up, Medusa said, “You’re daughter is lovely. And honestly,” she chuckled sardonically, shaking her head, “I can only wish that she would someday, feel something for me – anything. But… why would she?”

    When she looked up at Mark again, his eyes were vacant; glazed. She slid out of her seat hurriedly – careful not to disturb Aria – and stood. Mark stood too. Fuck; even though her shades were still on, she had distractedly let the natural magic slide back into her voice. She stepped back, her snakes furious and her wings ruffling. Mark stepped forward.

    She would have to fly her way out, but what would happen to Aria, or to the house. She had seen the effect her voice had on males; it drove them mad; Mark might as well start running after her if she left – or trash his own house. She couldn’t knock him out, not when her snakes still felt threatened; they might attack him if she got close. Plus, she couldn’t trust hitting a mortal; they were weak beings; she could kill him.

    It was when she felt her panic rise, that she saw a twenty-year-old beautiful brunette in the opposite corner of the room. She instantly recognized her as Athena.

    “What do you want, goddess?” Medusa looked her in the eye, her voice cold as ice.

    “What do I want? Have you forgotten manners, brute?” Athena sighed, as if this talk with Medusa was too trifling for her. She looked Medusa in the eye, her glare unmoving and said, “Leave them. And leave the girl. They don’t need you to ruin them like you always do. Look at him,” she waved a hand in Mark’s direction. Medusa dared to glance his way. “You’re killing him, gorgon. So, leave before you get them both killed… And yourself; if you dare defy me.”

    “Well, do it now. Kill me now! You’ve kept me alive all this time. Why? Don’t threaten me with the death I’ve forever dreamt of, Athena.”

    Wisdom chuckled, “Oh Medusa. Haven’t you learned your lesson? My punishments can be pretty lovely.” She lifted a hand, palm upward; her magic showing a cloudlike vision of a woman, Medusa instantly recognized her; Aria. Her hair, looked dirty and tangled, her soiled face an expression of agony and terror.

    “You know, Medusa, as infinite as the future sounds, there are only a number of ways it can unfold. And you get to choose this time.”

    Medusa glanced at the real Aria, still sleeping soundly, then at the magical image in the goddess’s hand, where Aria’s full image was displayed; roped bound her body, clad in a torn top and jeans. “Leave her out of this, you villain.” Medusa’s own voice ringed in her ears as fury clouded her vision red. Athena just chuckled; “And pray tell – why would I, exactly? If you keep your end of the bargain I might spare her… but, why else would I?”