Part 8

I have no excuse. I forgot.

Enjoy?

-

Lauren gripped Shawn's pants, seeing all the kids running around. She watched as they all ran around, laughing. Tom waved at Lauren, who gave a small wave back. She pressed her body closer to Shawn. She felt his hand on her back, and she liked it. He wasn't make her talk to anyone, not like her old daddy. Her old daddy would make her talk to his friends and sit on their laps and let them place their hands on her body. Her new daddy let her stay at his side. He'd introduce her, but didn't make her hug or talk to anyone. And she liked it.

Camila crouched down in front of the little girl. Lauren's green eyes turned to the woman.

"All these people are here for you," Camila told the girl, who just walked towards her new mother and wrapped her arms around her. Camila let out a small laugh, picking the girl up in her arms. Lauren leaned into Camila. "You don't want to talk to anyone?"

Lauren shook her little head, hiding her face against Camila's neck.

"That's okay. You don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to. We won't make you," Camila whispered, rubbing the girl's back. Lauren sighed, leaning more into Camila.

"Is this your daughter?" Sinu asked, walking to the new mother. Lauren whimpered and leaned closer into Lauren.

"Yeah, but she's a little tired and shy," Camila answered, her hand still rubbing Lauren's back. The little girl liked how safe she felt in Camila's arms.

Lauren felt her eyes get heavy. She took a deep breath, and then sleep came to her.

-

Shawn took Lauren from Camila. He moved slowly, not wanting to wake the sleeping girl. Camila shook her arms, wanting to return feeling to them. She looked over at her husband and new daughter.

Lauren was limp in Shawn's arms, breathing evenly. Camila could see how Lauren seemed to belong in Shawn's arms. As if she were meant to be in her family.

"Auntie Mila!" she heard someone exclaim. She turned to look at Normani's daughter, Zendaya Caldwell. She was five, and such a bright little girl.

"Hey Zendaya, how are you doing?"

"Is that my new cousin?" the girl questioned, her eyes on Lauren.

"Yeah, that's Lauren. Shawn and I adopted her, just like Aunt Dinah and Aunt Ally adopted Ariana." The seven year old girl in question was the eldest of the kids, followed by five year old Lucy (Hailee and her husband, Niall's daughter) Zendaya, and then four year old Billie (Austin and his wife, Keana's daughter).

"I'm gonna be the bestest cousin she has," Zendaya told the adults, before running off to play with the other girls. Lucy let out a loud laugh, as Tom chased after her. Ariana and Billie were hiding. Camila couldn't help but smile, knowing that Lauren would fit right in.

Camila looked at the sleeping girl.

"This is the rest of our lives," Shawn whispered, his eyes on the girl.

"She's what's been missing."

-

Lauren rubbed her eyes, her eyes on her new mommy and daddy. They were cutting the cake. Tom was vibrating next to her, wanting some cake. Ariana, Billie, Zendaya and Lucy had all introduced themselves. Tom had taken the role of best friend, and the other girls were jealous. They wanted to be Lauren's best friend, and the little girl had become overwhelmed.

Camila had to carry her to the bedroom for her to calm down and come to terms with the fact that the other kids wanted to be her friend.

Lauren swung her legs as Camila placed the cake in front of her.

"T'ank you Mommy," Lauren whispered, liking how that sounded. Mommy. Mommy and daddy. Her mommy and her daddy.

Growing up, she always wanted a mother. Her old daddy said that she died. And that she would never get another mother, because her father was enough. But she always wished for one. And now she got the best mommy ever.

Her mommy looked at her with tears in her eyes. Lauren frowned.

"I love you, okay? I love you so much," Camila told her, kissing the top of her head. Lauren closed her eyes, liking how warm it made her feel.

Her mommy gave her a smile and went to help her new daddy with the cake. She turned back to her own cake and stabbed her fork to it. She needed to give it her full attention, or else she'll get messy. And she didn't like getting too messy.

She saw her mommy and daddy distribute the cake.

"Are you gonna go to school?" Ariana asked, getting Lauren's attention.

Lauren frowned, never having heard that word. She shrugged. She turned to Shawn and Camila, feeling fear as they sat down and ate at another table. Lauren closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

They weren't going to leave her. They were her mommy and daddy and they loved her and they wanted her.

Lauren dropped her fork. She got off her chair and slowly walked to her new mommy and daddy.

"Hey Lo," Shawn greeted, smiling at the girl. "Did you want something?"

Lauren nodded her head. "Wan' daddy," she whispered, moving to stand next to her father. Shawn looked at Camila with wide eyes, as a smile appeared on his face. He reached over and pulled the girl in her lap. Lauren leaned into him, her eyes on his cake.

"You want more cake?"

Lauren gave him a nod while leaning against him. Shawn kissed the top of her head and let Lauren eat half the cake while he ate the other half. Lauren reached for Camila's hand and held it when she was done, drawing over the lines on her palm.

-

Shawn looked over at Camila and Lauren, who were both asleep on the couch. Smiling, he turned to his guests. Zendaya was asleep in her father's arms, Ariana was leaning against Dinah. Lucy, Billie and Tom were in their father's arms, two asleep and one trying to stay awake.

"Thank you for coming," Shawn told him, keeping his voice low.

"It's no problem. She's a part of our crazy family," Normani answered, giving the new father a hug. The friends left, leaving the parents. Sinu and Karen hugged their son(in-law).

"We can't wait to really get to know her," Karen told her son, smiling. "Our first grandchild."

"Thank you for not pushing her. We want her to do things at her own pace, not because we say so. She has to learn she gets a say in things."

"We'll wait however long she needs. We love her too."

Shawn turned to look at Camila and Lauren. "I love her, both of them too."

Manuel hugged his son and Alejandro shook his hand.

Sofi and Aaliyah were taking pictures of Shawn's girls. With a roll of his eyes, he walked his family out. Once they were gone, he went to Camila and Lauren. The older of the two was waking up. Shawn leaned over and kissed her.

"I love you."

Camila leaned into the kiss. "I love you too."

"Let's go to bed," he told her, picking the girl up. He helped her brush her teeth, and lead her to Camila, who helped the half-asleep girl change. Once they were all ready, they (and Lauren's stuffed animals) went to bed, ready to have their first morning as a legal family.

-

See ya in two-three months.