Fifty Five

Skylar's POV

As if realizing that I was still present here, Blake's gaze fell upon me once again.

"What lies did he feed you, Sky?" He asked me, circling the disk in between his fingers. He seemed like he was enjoying every bit of it.

I wasn't.

"What do you mean?" I whispered, momentarily forgetting that there was still a gun pressed onto my forehead.

"Well, let me guess." He said before passing Caden a knowing smirk. "What did he tell you about our parents?"

I gulped heavily, my eyes darting from Blake to Caden. A feeling of unease washed over me, almost as if I knew what was coming. I just really hoped that it wasn't true--whatever possibilities my head was coming up with at that moment.

"Fire." My voice rose above a whisper, and it was deadly silent around us. "They died in a fire."

There was just silence then, a type of silence that seemed like it was slowly eating me up alive. I could hear the faint sirens growing closer towards the building. And then Blake chuckled out loud, glancing over at Caden, then at me.

"Christ, are you serious?" He asked.

I didn't think I had it in me to nod or agree to him. From the corner of my eye, I could see the way Caden clenched his fists.

"I cannot believe my ears," Blake said, looking around at every single person in here. I saw him taking out something from his back pocket. A small device which I first thought was a cellphone. But it wasn't.

"I mean, I don't want to ruin this perfect thing you two have going on or anything." He glanced over at me as if he understood the various emotions running through me at that moment. "But I think you should've seen the autopsy reports first."

I had already stopped struggling and a part of me still couldn't understand what was happening.

"Autopsy reports of our sweet, old parents." He added, his lips curling in something that seemed like disgust to me. He hated them.

I wanted to look over at Caden but something didn't let me.

"You want me to tell you what was in it?" He asked, looking at me with slightly raised brows. I'm sure he was going to tell me either way.

"The reports state that our beloved parents died from gunshot wounds." He let out an amused laugh before looking behind at the elevator doors. "Not some fire."

I looked over at Caden then and realised that he was already staring at me. I tried searching for any refusal in his eyes. I even waited for him to tell me that none of this was true, that he hadn't lied.

But he did no such thing.

"I mean, the house did burn up." He added. "They might've been in it, sure. But that was a whole different situation."

Caden wasn't even stopping Blake from spewing out all that shit--hurtful shit.

"Let's just keep it simple and easy." Blake continued. "Caden killed them. And he lied to you."

I found myself looking away from Caden. The shock of it all, it just confused me. I knew that Blake was still the bad one here, but whatever he was saying, it hurt. Mainly because I hadn't expected any of that.

Why would Caden lie to me?

"Maybe he just wanted this for himself." Blake answered my thoughts, holding up the metal disk in his hand. "And took advantage of you along the way."