Slow Dancing - Sepp van den Berg

Athena Houten was convinced that she will have the most perfect unforgettable moment at prom tonight.

She will come with the boy which she has crushed on since forever, Viktor. She could only imagine the sweet thing that will happen in the prom tonight. Slow dancing, light conversation, smile and laugh while looked into each other eyes, it feels so romantic.

Stolen kisses between their dance and all eyes could only envy at the state of them being together. She doesn’t yearn to be the prom queen or such a thing, just to spend the last day of her Senior High School time with the special one.

But the plan and imagination turn into disaster since the first hour she stepped into great hall of her school where prom is held.

Viktor definitely not come to the prom to dance with her all night or even intended to be her date, he just did that so he could have a reason to go out in the prom night. He left her alone to hang out with his other friends at the back of the hall, they have booze. Viktor was offering to her but she turned that down cause this is not like what she expected.

“Sure, suit yourself.” Viktor said before leaving without turning back again.

She was sitting alone at the bench with anger in her heart, her eyes jealousy scanning to the hall where most of her friends are dancing with their date. Her dream prom is turn into disaster and she didn’t even have a single friend to just talk.

Maybe she will join some boys in the corner, the nerds who didn’t dance and talking about alien race that will take over the planet to enslave the human race. Maybe that’s actually more exciting.

She heard her favorite slow song was played, make her sighed twice time heavier cause instead of dance, now she was left alone. Athena walked to the beverages table and helped herself a glass of fruit punch and drank it up at once, but recklessly, the remains of her beverages splash to her white dress, leaving reds spot here and there.

“Fuck.” She cussed.

“Wow, looks like you need something more than a fruit punch.” Said some voice, Athena glance turn to her side and saw Sepp van den Berg is standing not so far from her. The gingerhead boy was her classmate and also known as the captain of football club in school.

Athena was searching tissue that she couldn’t find inside her mini bag before Sepp held out his handkerchief.

“No, no, no, I’ll make it dirty.” She shook her head and hands.

“It’s okay, just take it.” He smiled before Athena took that handkerchief with a hushes thank you that he could barely hear.

He help himself for a glass of fruit punch and sip it. “You don’t dance like everyone else?”

“Yeah, my date left me for booze at the back of the hall.” She scoffed, didn’t even know why she told Sepp about that. “I thought you’re joined them, you’re….”

“Because I was their captain doesn’t mean that I’m always hanging around with them all the time.” He cut her words, pressed the word ‘was’ cause it was like his duty as captain of football club in this school is finally over.

“I’m sorry, I thought you are friends since you looked close one and the other.” She looked down, felt slight embarrassed for the accusation before help herself to one glass of fruit punch.

“Yes and no, some of them are my best friends and I just don’t really like to join them right now.”

Stupid Athena, she cussed inside. Of course Sepp has a reason to not join them, unlike the other boys, he maybe just want to have a proper date with someone right now. The one who he’s willingly to spend the time with, unlike Viktor. “Sure, your date must be waiting for you at the dance floor.”

“I was going with my cousin because she desperately wanted to go before actually go two years again. So I don’t really have a date right now.” He laughed. “She’s actually having dance with Simon over there.” He pointed at the dance floor where she could saw a girl with pink dress she’s easily recognize cause they’re attended the same choir club.

“Then what are you actually doing here?”

“Just there, I think.” He chuckles.

“Then what will you do for the time you have left? You’ll have a conversation with the nerds about alien races that take over the planet and enslave human race?” Athena asked.

“Yeah, I think that sounded interesting than prom.” He answered, they both looking at each other before burst to laugh.

“I think so too.”

The slow song has been played again and now, Ed Sheeran's voice was heaved around the hall with Dive.

“Or you could just dance with me.” He said.

“What?” she almost couldn’t believe with her ears.

“Come on, I don’t have date and you’re technically alone.” Sepp held out his hand. “And God, I love this song.” He laughed.

Athena laughed before reach for his hand and they’re walking to the dance floor.

His hand was above her hips and she put her arms on his shoulders, they looked into each other eyes before slowly moving to the song.

“Oh, I love this part. So don’t call me baby, unless you need me.” Sepp spontaneously sing and Athena must admit that’s not the voice people usually want to hear but seemed like he sings that from depth of his heart. “Don’t tell me you need me, if you don’t believe it.

“Oh God, stop it!” She said between laugh.

“Why? This is really good song and always make me want to sing.”

“But you’re interrupting the other with your voice.”

“I thought I have very good voice.” He said and both of them laugh together. “I’ll give you one spin.”

“A what?” she doesn’t really understand of what he said.

“Trust me.” He smirked before let go one of her hand and held the other, swing her body next to him and tell her to spin back to him. He catches her to his arms and they’re back to dancing again.

“Wow, where did you learn to do that?” she asked, completely amazed by Sepp’s dance.

“Yeah, I have ballet class since I was 8.”

“Seriously?”

“I’m joking.” And they laughed together.

Maybe this is not the prom she’s yearning since a week ago Viktor asked her to come with him, she’s not even dance with the ones she crushed cause he was completely abandon her since the first hour they’re arrived here for booze. But to dance with Sepp and knowing a little more story about him could entertain her.

Sepp fixed her bad mood, without she realized she was laughed and smile again. Her annoyance is gone away completely. She almost thinks that it will be the worst prom at the end of her Senior High School but Sepp success to leave a sweet impression for her tonight.

It’s not romantic, but it felt like the best thing she could ask for.

----

A little story for our newbie
Welcome to the club, Sepp