chapter two

an encounter

hermione's pov.

the hallway was bright with soft summer morning sunshine, it cast a warm, white light over the house, making me feel a little more awake. i could heat distant chatter and clattering from the bathroom, and just as i approached the stairs, the crippling urge to pee came on me. i trembled to the bathroom door, knocking frantically, for the door to be opened by a familiar looking red-head.

george.

"morning, 'mione. tired, are we?" he smirked, his mouth full of toothpaste foam and his toothbrush tucked neatly behind his ear.
"george, please. i need to pee. let me in." i pleaded.
"oh, 'mione," he began, drawing the door open further, leaning against the doorframe, "can't you see we're busy?"

inside the small bathroom, was fred, ron and bill, as well as george, all crowded around the sink brushing their teeth, washing and gargling mouthwash. for merlin's sake, fred was even sitting in the bloody bath studying a bottle of face wash.

"are you all seriously not going to move?" i grumpily asked, folding my arms.
"can't, too cramped. we're stuck, i'm afraid." george replied.
"just not your day, is it, 'mione?" fred chipped in, smirking at me and then george.
"george weasley, if you don't let me in this instant, i'm going to-well, i-?" i stammered, even i was puzzled about what i was going to do.
"okay, okay, don't crap yourself. come in." he said, opening the door fully to allow me in.
"...you want me to pee, with all you in there?" i asked, confused.

they all gasped in disgust, rolling their eyes. they all clambered out of the bathroom quickly, allowing me space to finally be alone for a while.

"don't take too long, hermione, i haven't shaved this one little hair and it's going to bug me all day." bill whined, george and fred laughing in unison at his comment.

i scoffed, trying to hide a smile, stepping into the bathroom and closing the door. ugh, those boys was all i could think of.

i studied myself in the mirror again, thinking of ways i could make myself look less tired and torn up. it would be hard work. i used the toilet, then started to freshen up at the sink, splashing cold water on my face and rubbing my temples, eyes closed. water droplets on my eyelashes dripped onto my cheeks and down my neck. i took a fine comb to my bushy mane and tried to organise my frizzy curls. rubbing something that would make me look awake on my face seemed like a good idea. ginny had given me these beauty tips before, but i didn't know how well they'd work. i opened the bathroom cabinet, glancing around for something to use. all i could find was a fine moisturiser in a small tub, the label said "awakening" so i was immediately drawn to it. i opened it and applied it to my cheeks and temples, tip on my nose and chin. it seemed shiny, with a hint of rosy colour, so i assumed it had done the trick. it's not like i was intending to impress anyone, i can do just fine on my own.