chapter fifteen

fred's pov.
i placed hermione gently on the old quilted sofa in the living area of grimmauld place, it was dusty and cold there. i scratched my hair as i rummaged around in my jean pockets with my other hand, reaching for my wand.

"incendio," i incanted, waving it gently over the fireplace, a small spark igniting as i did so.

i heard hermione sigh, and turned to watch her softly smile and close her eyes for a moment. she seemed to be so at peace but also so tired, poor soul, i thought.

i approached the rather messy kitchen that had been left uncleaned and unattended since lastnight, opened empty bottles of fire whiskey and glasses scattered around the table. i shook my head, it really had been a wild night. i pulled two mugs from the old cabinet and while putting the kettle onto boil, rinsed the dust from them quickly, placing them on the counter. i spooned coffee into the mugs and waited for the kettle to whistle.

i watched hermione as i leaned on the counter, as she reached for the television remote and began pressing through the channels.

"muggle tv...it's no good." she sighed, pressing the remote more demandingly.
i chuckled, turning to the kettle, "sugar, 'mione?"
"yes, please. two." she added.
"aren't you sweet enough?" i asked.
"not today, freddie. feeling rather unlike myself today. is this what alcohol feels like? am i meant to feel this way?" she sighed, sliding down the sofa and resting her head on the cushion.
"not necessarily- it feels like that the first few times," i explained, carrying the coffee into the living area and setting it on the side table so hermione could easily reach it.
"will i feel like this all day?" she asked, groaning.
"maybe," i shrugged, "i'll cook you whatever you want when you're hungry. i know the feeling. think the muggles call it a 'hangover'? didn't your parents ever have one?"
"hmm," hermione tutted, sipping her coffee, "i think my parents cared a little too much about their medical profession than to consume too much firewhiskey. than to consume pretty much anything else, for that matter. they had time for me of course, but not much acknowledgement for the wizarding world. they just accepted me as a witch."
i smiled, "do you miss them?"
she paused, sighing, keeping her sad eyes glued to the tv screen, "i know what i did was for the best. i had to leave, i had to help- and my parents shouldn't have had to suffer at the hands of the dark lord, they're already vulnerable as it is. i left my family, to protect my family."
"no wonder you're a gryffindor," i smiles softly, sipping my coffee.
"what do you mean?" she asked.
"we all always thought how could you not be a ravenclaw- with all those brains? but now it's clear to see you couldn't be anything but a gryffindor. that takes such bravery, 'mione- you have no idea. you'd shown your true gryffindor instincts that day." i replied, rubbing her thigh gently.

she smiled softly, i knew by her heavy, tired eyes that she didn't want to speak - she was content with what i'd told her, regardless of how happy or unhappy she was. she readjusted herself on the sofa, turning towards me and placing her head on my lap.

she nestled her thick head of bouncy, vanilla-infused curls into my lap and cosied up on the sofa, sighing and closing her eyes. i leaned back into the sofa, smiling- satisfied with myself and sipping my coffee again. i can't believe i coped without being able to love this girl for so long because i'd promised her to someone else - i wouldn't change that now, not for the world.

it was insane how close we had grown over the period of time post-battle. i think as times got harder, harry, hermione and all us weasleys had grown closer. and it was nice to see mum happy with a full house at times, i noticed that she was as wholesome and bubbly as she had been when bill and charlie lived at home, it was like having the whole family together again.

i sighed happily, closing my eyes and breathing out for a second. the tv still muffled in the background, the water from the kitchen taps occasionally dripping, just regular house sounds. but i suppose, grimmauld place wasn't any regular house. the sounds began to fade as i slipped away soundly to sleep.