Chapter 18: The Trial

The next two weeks were a busy blur of meetings with witnesses, piecing together Narcissa's and Draco's memories, and the overall strengthening of Draco's case. Now the day was finally here that Hermione had been both dreading and anticipating. The start of Draco Malfoy's trial.

Hermione arrived early to the Wizengamot, making sure everything she needed was in place. She hadn't been there more than ten minutes when Cormac McLaggen arrived, looking every bit as lecherous as she remembered.

"Hermione Granger . . . so we meet again," he said, blatantly eyeing her up and down.

"McLaggen." She nodded briefly.

"Come now, is that any way to greet an old friend?" He sneered. "Although I suppose you've had enough of 'old friends' these last few weeks, haven't you?"

"Excuse me?"

"Draco Malfoy—even I know what he was like toward you at Hogwarts. Can't imagine why on earth Shacklebolt would have assigned you to his case . . . or why you would agree to it." He said the last words carefully, almost accusingly.

She sighed. "As you well know, McLaggen, I treat all my clients fairly and impartially. Draco Malfoy is no different."

"Really?" He licked his lips. "Well, I guess we'll see about that, won't we?"

Before Hermione could retort, he strode to the opposite side of the courtroom.

He really is the worst . . .

***

An hour later, the trial was about to begin. The Wizengamot had all taken their places, with Minister Shacklebolt in his residing position.

The viewing seats were filled to the brim, mostly with journalists and reporters, but Hermione guessed there were others there as well—namely enemies of the Malfoy family awaiting blood.

Harry, Luna, and Narcissa Malfoy were all seated in the row behind her. She turned and gave Harry a grateful smile.

"Witches and Wizards of the court," Shacklebolt's voice boomed across the courtroom. "Let's begin. Please bring in the defendant."

Two large doors opened on the left and Draco Malfoy was led in, still wearing his familiar Azkaban uniform with the addition of handcuffs and shackles around his feet. As he sat down in the lone seat in the middle of the courtroom, he caught Hermione's eye and she gave him an encouraging smile.

Draco swallowed nervously, then turned his attention back to Shacklebolt. Hermione noticed that he looked even paler than normal.

"Draco Lucius Malfoy, you're here today to face the criminal charges brought against you by the Wizard's Court of Law." Shacklebolt continued by reading Draco's charges one by one. When he was finished, he looked back at Draco. "Do you understand what you have been accused of?"

"Yes, Minister."

Shacklebolt nodded. "I will call the Prosecution Inquisitor to make his opening statement."

Cormac McLaggen strode to the front of the room, shooting a steely look at Draco, then a smug one at Hermione, and began. "Draco Malfoy was the youngest Death Eater to ever join their ranks. Now, the defense will have you believe that this fact, somehow, makes the defendant a victim. However, I assure you, nothing could be further from the truth."

McLaggen raised his voice. "Draco Malfoy entered so quickly into Voldemort's servitude because he was passionate about Voldemort's cause. He even bragged to his fellow classmates about being 'chosen' by Voldemort to accomplish a special task. A task that we know now was to be cold-blooded murder of one of the most esteemed wizards of our time—Albus Dumbledore.