Chapter 21: Before I Knew You

Draco sat down in his usual spot to see a particularly cheerful Steven Carmichael going over his notes with a huge grin on his face.

"Why are you so happy?" Draco surveyed him. People who were too happy made him uncomfortable.

Steven looked up with his eyes alight, reading glasses sliding down the bridge of his nose, his smile bordering on goofy. "She's amazing!"

"Who is?" Draco frowned.

Here it comes. He met with Granger and he's already in love with her. He cringed. I'll probably get a toast from Carmichael at their wedding for bringing them together.

"Luna!" Steven's smile somehow grew larger.

"Luna?" Draco asked, feeling confused and far too relieved.

"Yes! I've never met anyone like her. She's so interesting. Do you know if she's seeing anyone?"

"Uh . . . I have no idea."

"It's completely unprofessional, I know, but I can't stop thinking about her." Steven pushed his reading glasses back up his nose. "As soon as this case is over, I'm asking her to dinner. Do you have any recommendations where I could take her? I'm not too familiar with the area yet and it has to be somewhere special." The goofy grin returned. "Like her."

"Um, there's a nice place in Diagon Alley called Tres Frais?" Draco suggested hesitantly. He'd been there with his parents many times but couldn't exactly picture Luna Lovegood with her radish-like earrings dining among the other snooty patrons.

"That could work . . . but is it unique enough?"

"I'll keep thinking," Draco said, not at all comfortable with suddenly being his Inquisitor's wingman.

"Please do. So, Harry Potter is still planning on testifying, which is very good news."

"He is?" Draco was shocked. He thought for sure Potter would have backed out after what happened with Hermione. Had she interceded on Draco's behalf? Maybe she wasn't angry with him, after all.

"Yes, I met with him yesterday. It doesn't sound like his testimony has changed. Now there has been one new development."

"What's that?"

"Apparently, Ronald Weasley is testifying against you for the Prosecution. Due to the poisoned mead he drank."

That wasn't good. Ron hadn't been planning on testifying when Hermione was on his case, she had told Draco that. But now? Draco wondered if the Golden Trio had a falling out. Most likely, because of him. He wondered how the extra stress was affecting Hermione. He wished he could talk to her.

"Combining Weasley's testimony with Katie Bell's is going to be much more convincing to the Wizengamot," Steven said. "So, we'll need to work hard on establishing the reason behind your actions in both cases."

Draco nodded glumly, all the while cursing his younger self for his reckless behavior.

Steven glanced at his watch and frowned. "Oh, I have to go. I have a meeting with Hermione Granger in fifteen minutes. She's going to give me the rest of her case files and go over anything important with me."

Draco looked up quickly. "With Granger?"

Steven nodded, stacking his papers neatly.

"Can you tell her I'm sorry about—wait, no, just tell her I hope she likes her new job." Draco sat up a little straighter. "But make sure she knows it's not in a sarcastic way, I do really hope she likes her—no, just forget it." He shook his head. "Tell her I said hi."

Steven stared at him like he had three heads. "Hi? You're sure that's all you want me to say?"

"Yes." Draco scowled.

Steven gave him a knowing smile. "All right, I'll tell her you said hi."

***

Hermione paced around her flat, in essence cleaning it, but in reality, she was getting out her nervous energy.

Weeks had passed and it was the evening before Draco Malfoy's trial. What would happen to him? Tomorrow at this time, she'd know.

Today, she'd had her disciplinary hearing at the Ministry and had been cleared of any misconduct regarding her actions as Draco's Inquisitor. While the ruling made her happy, there was still a part of her that mourned the end of her involvement in Draco's case.

She sighed. Her life had felt strangely empty now that Draco was no longer a part of it. She tried to tell herself it was because she had become so invested in his case, but she knew that wasn't it.

She truly missed him.

She missed his sarcastic quips, which more often than not, had her smiling. She missed how he never failed to surprise her with the strange, albeit accurate, things he said. She missed that he never seemed afraid to challenge her, unlike Harry and Ron. She missed seeing the side of the man she never imagined was there—the best part of him—the part that was caring and honest.

She missed their friendship. Just when it had started and how, she couldn't pinpoint. All she knew was he was a part of her life now. So much a part that it didn't quite feel whole without him. She wondered if he felt the same way, or if their time together had just been something he'd accepted because he had to.

The sound of someone Flooing into her apartment startled her and she looked up to see a very troubled-looking Ron.

"Ron!" She hadn't seen him since the evening he'd stormed out of her flat a few weeks ago. "What are you doing here?"

When Harry had told her Ron was planning on testifying against Draco, she'd been angry, but she'd tried to talk to him. Ron, however, had refused to see her, thwarting any of Hermione's attempts at reconciling. Every day, she'd grown more worried that her and Ron's friendship might not recover from this.

"Hermione," Ron said, taking a step towards her. He looked distressed, and Hermione immediately went to him. He was still her friend.

"Ron, what is it? Are you okay?"

She led him over to the sofa and sat down next to him. She could smell alcohol as he took a deep breath and turned toward her, taking her hand.

"I have to tell you something," he said.

***

A/N: Sorry this is a short chapter! The next one is longer, and the trial will start again (this time for real, I promise). Any thoughts on what Ron is there to say to Hermione?

Chapter Preview is up on my social media: Facebook: CeceLouiseAuthor, Twitter: CeceLAuthor, Pinterest: CeceLouiseAuthor