Chapter 12

I quickly glanced around and there were no guards to be seen.  I didn't need Damian's guards reporting on me and Tristan, that would only give him more ammunition against me.
Tristan pulled me into one of the waiting pods at the end of the courtyard.  He pushed a couple of buttons on the dash and the dome lid closed around us and we slowly began to lift into the sky.
"Where are we going?"
"I want to show you who Damian is."
"Look, I don't know if you think I am dumb or naive, but I don't like Damian and I don't pretend to think he is some good guy... I know he is bad, he is horrible and the only reason I'm going along with whatever plan he is working on is because he has threatened to eliminate everyone I care about and I can't allow that." 
"He can't be trusted Araleigh," he said exasperated.  "He will kill them when he is done using you... you aren't protecting them, just prolonging the inevitable."
"I don't believe that... the latter part at least."
"You are going to save them?"
"Yes."
He shook his head in irritation.  "You... you are so stubborn."
I looked out the window.  "I have to save them Tristan, there is no other option.  I have to figure out how to stop Damian and save my family."  I paused for a second before continuing, "After watching him tonight, I have a feeling that whatever he is planning will happen soon.  Damian and Yerdona looked very cozy, they are definitely up to something."
"That is why-"
I held up my hand.  "Stop.  If you tell me one more time this is the reason I have to leave I am going to hurl something at you.  I would like to work with you, though I have heard that's not your thing."
He looked at me quizzically but didn't say anything, so I took my opening and continued.
"I'm not going anywhere, I refuse to run from him.  I just need to figure out how to renegotiate the terms of our agreement."
"Even if it kills you?" Tristan asked dryly.
"Why do you care?"
He looked at me with a fire in his eyes and before I could blink, his hand reached up gently cradling my chin, pulling me to him.  His lips were on mine, soft, sweet, gentle and a moment later they were gone and I was left breathless.  "I care," he said softly, gently tucking my hair behind my ear staring at me with his piercing blue eyes that were almost electric now.
I was speechless.  I felt like an idiot staring at him blankly, but that had been completely unexpected.  I needed to break this awkward silence... I needed his lips on mine again...  I needed... something.  Think Araleigh!
Simple.  Pretend like nothing happened and that I wasn't a mess right now?  Yes, that's probably the best thing.  "Where are we going?" I said meekly, obviously failing at my attempt to be suave.
"That's what you have to say?" He laughed.
"I don't know what else to say.  That was completely unexpected."
"I'm sorry." He looked away.
"Don't be." I grabbed his hand.  "I just don't get you."
"You...."
"Me?"
"Every since that night ten years ago I have not been able to get you out of my mind.  I have tried, but all things come back to you.  You aren't safe here though, not even with me.  I want to protect you and you are just so stubborn."
"You don't have to though."
"You don't understand.  I do. I have this feeling deep inside that just wants to keep you close and keep you safe."
"And?"
"And it just isn't enough.  If you aren't here or around me then you have a chance."
"I don't believe that."
He shook his head and brushed his lips across my forehead.
We were silent a moment and I needed something to fill the air.  "So.... where are we going?"
"A reality check."  He said softly, looking out the window.
Still awkward.  Did he regret what he had done, but more importantly, why did he do it?  He so confusing and I wasn't going to crack that enigma tonight, I needed to focus on something else...anything else.  I looked out of the window and watched how the dancing lights in he sky reflected off the water, it was so beautiful here, all of the strange illuminated colors, nothing like what I had seen on Earth.  The water below us was a lilac purple and looked like it had electric blue crystals pulsing through it.   It looked...alive.  I watched for what felt like hours, letting the time pass between that kiss and whatever was next.
"Kimotabi."
I turned to look at him.  "What?"  I asked, a little surprised.
"This is the Kimotabi, the center of Arcadia. Our ancestor's say it's the life force of our planet and all of the sparkles you see are the souls of Arcadians who have passed."
"It's beautiful."  The vibrant green and blue lights were dancing in the sky and reflecting on the water, the lights seemed to be pointing to something off in the distance.  "What's that over there?"  I asked pointing out of my window.  "It looks like an island."
"Yes, it is a sacred island that is the protected by the guardians."
"Sounds ominous."
Tristan nodded but didn't say anything.
The island was getting further and further away, but there was something pulling me in.  It seemed familiar, but I didn't see how, though nothing about this place seemed what it should...
"We are getting close." Tristan said, breaking me from my reverie and pointing out his window.  He tapped the control pad in the hub and there was a faint humming sound.  Before I could ask, he answered, "simply put, it makes us invisible... to people on the ground."
I moved across the pod to sit beside him so I could see what he was pointing at and it was only a second later I felt the familiar tightness in my stomach and he seemed tense as well. Did he feel it too?  Ignore it, focus on the task at hand. 
There was a bright blue light off in the distance.  "What is that place?" And then I realized a second later.  "This is where we came in at."
"Yes," he nodded and pointed out of the window.  "I don't think you stayed long enough to see what they are doing to people here."
"No, we didn't see a lot of people, just some in a large waiting room." 
"Just watch."
He didn't have to tell me twice, my face was plastered against the window taking everything in.
"There are hundreds, maybe even a thousand, here."
"What is he doing with all of them?"  I watched as they were filing out of the blue glow in a seemingly never ending line, with looks of terror on their face.  A frail looking man, dressed in oversized clothes, stepped out of line and started to run back towards the portal when one of the guards quickly tackled him to the ground.  While most of the prisoners stood frozen in fear, a few started to move towards the man and the guard but stopped when they saw more approaching guards.  One of the larger looking guards pulled a wand out and touched the man with it and seconds later he was limp on the ground, looking like an old beat up rag doll.
"Did they just...?"  I couldn't get the words out.
"No, they just immobilized him."
Another guard helped the one off the ground and they took the man and carried him through the doors at the far end of the compound. 
"Where are they taking him?"
"I don't know."
"What are they doing with all of this people?" It was hard not to feel guilty for leaving them without a second thought until now.  So much had happened and I could have done something more to save them, to help them escape.  My hands started to shake a little so I rubbed them to try to calm down.
Tristan gently put his hands on mine, "It isn't your fault and you couldn't have saved them when you left, there are too many."
I closed my eyes and took in the warmth of his touch and let it flow threw me.  "We have to do something."
"I know, I'm working on it."
"We have to do it now, look at all of those people down there," I urged.
"We will, we just need to have a plan."
"Screw your plan," I shouted.
He stared me in the eye and calmly said, "Araleigh, we both know that if you and I storm in there right now we are out-manned and they will likely kill me and take you prisoner," He added, "Again.  We need to have a plan of attack."  He watched me for a second and then continued, "Come with me back to the compound."
"I can't."
"You can.  It is your choice right now."
"If I don't go back tonight he will kill everyone I care about."
"You mean Mr. Thomas?" He sighed.
"Yes, and others."
"Araleigh, I am not trying to sound insensitive, but there are not many people in your life.  You don't let people in."
"I..." He was right, I didn't let people in, but... "Yes, Mr. Thomas, and Ty, you , Cash..."
"I made the list?" He snickered.
I shot him a glance.
He held his hands up.  "Look, most of the people you care about are here and we can look after them and I will send for Mr.Thomas and his family so we can protect them as well."
He knew about Charlie?  When Charlie first took me in after my dad passed I always called him Mr. Thomas, it was the polite thing to do, but he always insisted that I call him Charlie.  After about three years I finally started calling him Charlie, even though it felt weird at first it finally stuck and he became one of the most important people in my life, "... I don't know Tristan."
"Trust me." His eyes were looking in mine.
'Trust Tristan', Cash had said.  This was my chance... I could leave... it was right here...but the fear...
He looked at me and moved closer, "Trust me.  I will send for Mr. Thomas and his family as soon as we leave here," he added, "We will go back to the compound and put together a plan to save those people."
My mind was going a thousand miles a minute in every direction possible, but my gut was telling me to trust him and he was unfairly playing on my desire to free those people... "Fine, let's go," I said hesitantly. 
He smiled, "Let's get you home."
Home.  What a funny word.  Where was that for me? Earth? The compound? With the Queen?  I didn't really feel like that word existed for me, at least not in a long time.  What was I doing?  Stop it.  You are Araleigh Winters and you fight for those who can't, you don't wallow in self pity.  I'm getting out... I am going to the compound to make a plan... and I am going to keep everyone safe from Damian.
"Are you ok?" Tristan was looking at me.
"Yes.  Yes, I am good." I felt like I needed to say it a couple more times to believe it.
"Don't worry.  I am sending a message now to get a team to Mr.Thomas's place to get him and his family to safety."
"Thank you."
He smiled. 
The events of today, this evening, were not in the least expected.  I was free, Thomas was going to be protected and we were going to free those people.  All of the sudden I started feeling tired so I curled up on one of the seats and closed my eyes.
The pod was stopping when I opened my eyes a little later.
"Did you get a good rest?"
I was still a little groggy so it took me a second to figure out we were back in the same open field I had been standing in over a week ago.  It brought back memories of seeing Ty's beaten face broadcast in the sky.  So much had happened in such a short amount of time. 
I saw Franz running out of the front door as the pod lid was sliding open.  "Araleigh! How are you back?" His confused gaze shot over to Tristan.  "You said you were going to your mother's not a rescue mission!"
"Damian brought Araleigh to the meeting of the five families and I was able to convince her that she needed to leave."
"Did you use your powers of persuasion?" Franz asked him but didn't wait for an answer.  He then looked at me, "Are you ok?" He asked with a furrowed brow.  "Did he place any kind of tracker in you?  Do any type of testing?" He began pulling my hair back and quickly, but carefully, started rubbing the base of my neck and wrists.
I laughed and gently pulled my hand away.  "No, nothing like that." 
Franz spun me around still looking for any signs of wrong doing.
"Oh Franz.  I have missed you."  I said giving him a quick hug.
"Where is Ty?  Is he ok?"
"Yes, though I am not happy you had to leave us, it was fortunate you got to him when you did, as he would have most likely died if left there much longer." He added fluttering his hands in the air, "We were barely able to save his leg."
"Araleigh!" I heard my name shout from behind Franz.
"I want no complaints when I give you a thorough exam when you are done out here," Franz said quickly.
"Ok." I quickly nodded and ran past him to Ty, who was walking out with a crutch placed under his one arm.
"How did you escape?"
How do I answer this?  "I accompanied Damian to the Queen's house and was able to sneak away with Tristan and," I stopped talking based on the strange look on Ty's face.  "Oh, come on!  Not like that!  Tristan wanted to show me something."
"I'm sure he did," he laughed.
"Will you stop being immature for two seconds or I will break your good leg!" I playfully raised my brows at him and smiled, it was nice to be home.  There was that word again, I thought ruefully.  "As I was saying... I was able to sneak away and Tristan convinced me to come back here."
"He had to convince you?" Ty asked baffled.
"It would be redundant to say Damian threatens people to get what he wants," I nodded towards his leg, "I had to protect everyone and staying with him was the only way I could see how."
Ty studied her face.  "He doesn't just let people go Araleigh, he is inhumanly cruel," he shook, "I don't think you saw that side of him, because if you did, you would be clambering to leave."
I smiled at him, there was nothing I could really say.  I watched as Tristan walked away on his comm's device and couldn't help but wonder if it was related to Charlie.  I fought the urge to walk after him and find out, "Enough about me," I turned back to Ty, "I am here and I don't want to talk about Damian or any of that, I want to know how you are doing?  How is your leg?"
He held his arm out and looked at his leg.  "We are healing."
"Franz said you almost lost it?"
"The water had some sort of bacteria that was eating away at my skin. Franz said I was lucky, because it had gone through my skin and muscle and just started attacking my bone when I arrived back here.  Fortunately, Franz is amazing." He said loud so Franz could here.
He smiled and saluted Ty and then continued his conversation with Micah, who must have been waiting on Ty.
"Franz was able to apply a salve to it, but only after he applied an extreme about of heat to it." He grabbed my arm for dramatic flair, "Araleigh, I think he was burning my skin off."
"Oh my goodness." I recoiled in sympathetic pain.
"It hurt, but he said it would speed up healing as it was the quickest way to kill the bacteria so the salve would work quicker.  It took about a week for the infection to get under control and heal and then we had to focus on rebuilding muscle and tissue.  Again, painful, but it is amazing what they are able to do here, I can't even begin to explain it.  They layered some tissue and muscle in my leg and stitched me up!  Over the last couple days, I have been starting to work with Mars and he is pretty intense."
"Excuse us." Franz interrupted with Micah, "You have been on your leg long enough," he shot a disapproving glance to Ty, "And Araleigh, I would like to see you in my office, I don't trust that Damian!" He regained his composure and smiled a warm smile.
He turned to walk inside and stopped briefly to see if I was following, "I'm coming." I looked at Ty, "I believe your chariot awaits," I nodded towards Micah who was waiting patiently, much more patient, than Franz at the moment.  He took his job very seriously and did seem genuinely concerned about me.  Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure nothing had happened to me I was unaware of, though I got the feeling Damian would want to watch me react to anything that may cause me harm.
"We will catch up later," Ty reached over and gave me a hug before he turned and walked off with Micah.  "And so you know, Franz has been such a wreck since you left.  He continually blamed himself because he didn't try to stop you.  For the first couple days he stared in the sky waiting for some announcement from Damian they had finally killed you and fulfilled the mission they had been created for."
"They won't kill me."
Ty studied me for a moment and then took step closer which seemed to irritate Micah, only in the slightest.
"Ty." I realized I had never said these words quite like this before and found it difficult to say even to Ty.  "So...I am the Queen's daughter."
Ty laughed and stared at me, waiting.  "Oh, you aren't joking.  I mean I didn't think you would be joking, but it sounds like a joke." He stopped, just looking at her.  "So, you are Arcadian too?" He said looking at Cash as he was walking up. "You knew about this?" He sounded a little angry.
"Knew about what?" He was confused.  He must not have heard the conversation before walking up.
"Princess Araleigh." Ty said mocking.
"Oh, I know right?  Pretty crazy." Cash chimed in.
"You didn't know?" Ty sounded shocked.
"No, I just found out at the meeting." Cash sighed.
"So, when you address me, you can call me Your Highness." I laughed, trying to break any budding tension, "I'm only kidding, it's not that big of a deal."
"Not that big of a deal?" Cash questioned.  "You can't be serious, you are the future Queen of Arcadia," he threw his arms open and turned in a circle. "Thank the Gods!"
Ty choked, but I continued looking at Cash, trying to gauge his feelings on the matter.  He was full blooded Arcadian and here I was, a half-blood and future ruler of a planet I wasn't even sure existed until a few weeks ago.  It was a lot for me and it surely had to be a lot for him.   I pressed him, "Seems a little crazy right?  Half-blood Arcadian, recently finds out she is the Queen's daughter and future heir to the throne."
"It is crazy, but that doesn't make it untrue." Cash shrugged.
"So that means you are brother and sister?" Ty recoiled as he put two and two together.
"Yes." Cash smiled, wrapping his arm around my neck.
"Good thing you guys never got together."
"Eww." The thought had never crossed my mind until he said something and it made my stomach turn.
It had seemed Ty and Cash had made up since I last saw them, which was nice having the gang back together.
"Micah is giving me the evil eye, I think I have kept you out too long."
"Fine," Ty huffed.  "I just missed you, I feel like I have hardly seen you." He turned to start moving towards Micah.
  I grabbed his arm, "You can hold on to me.  I am going to get inside and let Franz look me over and then get cleaned up.  See you guys tomorrow?" I looked over my shoulder to include Cash as well.
"Sounds great."  Cash said absent-mindedly, walking over to Tristan.
"Hey Araleigh." Ty whispered. 
I looked at him, slowing our pace. "Yea?"
"Thanks for saving my life and I'm glad you're back."
"Don't mention it." I gently rubbed his arm with my thumb.
"As you wish Your Highness." He smirked, all traces of sincerity gone.
I cut my eyes at him and handed him off to Micah and continued walking into the compound to find Franz.  I had a pretty good idea I was going to get scolded.
I walked in the building and it was abuzz with activity, it was alive again.  I pushed past a few people who were talking in the hall, and others who causally glanced up to look at me.  There were no looks of hatred in their eyes which was nice, although there did seem to be quite a bit of confusion. 
I walked into the infirmary and Franz was standing by a table waiting, "It's about time.  I was about to send the search parties out for you." Franz exclaimed.
"I am here now, so calm down." I smiled.
"Ahhh!" He waved his hand dismissively in the air.  "Come, jump on my table and let me have a look at you.  I will not need to see you in the bareness, I will trust you will tell me any and everything that happened."
I had missed his funny little sayings.  "Where do I start?" I asked jokingly.
Franz did not catch the humor and looked deeply concerned.  "He hurt you?"
"No, no, nothing like that." I said shaking my head.
"Stop moving," he grabbed my head, "It is hard to examine your head when you keep moving it."
"Sorry."  I placed my hands in my lap and sat there still, waiting for him to finish.
"So tell me." He prompted.
"Well for starters."  I took a deep breath.  "I am the Queen's daughter, Princess of Arcadia."
Franz stopped what he was doing and stood directly in front of me, looking me in the eyes.  "Nope you have not lost your minds, you are serious."
"No I have not lost my mind.  I only have one," I corrected. 
Then he added nonchalantly.  "Yes I had a feeling you were important to her."
"How so?"
"She let you live. She let our world be divided over you and then she wanted you protected when you came here, on top of the fact that she sent Cash to look after you on Earth."
I guess I hadn't thought about it like that before.
He added.  "Though, I would have never thought you would be her daughter.  I didn't even know she had you."
"Apparently no one did.  Well, a few in her inner circle and somehow Damian had figured it out."
"And that is why he wanted you?"
"Yes."
"So if he knows you're the heir, he is going to come after you."
"I know, that is why Tristan had to convince me.  He said he would protect everyone, including Charlie and his family."
"The family who raised you on Earth after your father passed."
"Yes," I was shocked.
"I have been doing some light reading." He smiled.
"It appears so."
He finished looking me over.  "You are fine, though I wish I could say you weren't, so I could keep you here and safe and protected."
I jumped off the table and wrapped my arms around his neck.  "I have missed you so much."  I started to walk out of the room when he stopped me, "You're still in the same room as before if you want to get out of that dress."
"Thanks, I think I will do that.  Also, where is Mars?"
"In the training room."
"Good, I'm going to go pay him a quick visit."
"Please be careful."  Franz said worried.
"I will." I smiled and left the room.  Walking down the hall, the people didn't pay me much attention which was nice, but weird at the same time.  What would they think if they knew I was the future ruler of their planet.  I'm an outsider, a nobody, the reason their planet is at war..."
I walked into the training room.
"Araleigh, pleasure to see you again."  Arbus chimed as soon as I walked into the door. 
I had completely forgotten about him, but it was like nothing had changed for him, but sadly realizing, almost everything had changed for me.
I looked around the room and found Mars talking to someone, it only took me a second to realize it was Tristan.  They were huddled in the corner, speaking in hushed tones. 
Tristan turned to look at me and then turned back to Mars.  Either they were finishing their conversation or Tristan ended it because I walked in.  Tristan turned and walked toward me.  My heartbeat instinctively quickened.
"We need to talk," he said apathetically.
All the butterflies that had been building up quickly turned to stones. 
Trying to keep any emotion out of my voice, I responded.  "Sure, now?"
"No, not now.  Tomorrow morning."
"Ok, where?"
"I'll find you."  He walked out of the room.
What had happened?  Was it about Charlie was he ok? Panic started to rip through me, I knew this was a big mistake.
"Everything ok?"
"No....yes... I don't know."
"What were you guys talking about?"
He hesitated, "I can't really say."
I rolled my eyes.
"Can you tell me if it was about Charlie?"
"Who?"
"I will take that as a no then."
He walked over to me and gave me a hug, "What's going on? Who is Charlie?"
"Tristan convinced me to leave Damian, putting everyone I care about at risk.  He told me to trust him."
"And you can't?"
"I want to, but he leaves me out of the loop and I can definitely tell something is wrong with him."
He laughed, "No, that is just his regular face."
I appreciated he was trying to calm me down, but it wasn't working, "I just need to punch something."
"I hear ya," he said laughing, punching his fists in the air and then opening his palms towards me, "Let's go."
"You want me to punch you?"
"Ideally, no, but you can try." He flashed his brilliant white smile at me.  "Plus it will give me a chance to assess your skill level and combat readiness."
"Combat readiness?  Is there something I should know?"
"Nope," he said bouncing towards the mats on the other side of the room.  "Let's get to the mats so we can start."
I had a feeling he was lying to me and this had something to do with what him and Tristan were discussing.  My heart skipped a beat at the thought that Tristan was already preparing for the attack on Damian's compound.  Did that mean he had Thomas?
As soon as we stepped on the mat and Mars was ready I lunged after him, but he quickly sidestepped my punch.  I was excited... I felt a burning deep in my body I hadn't felt in a long time.
"Coming out strong," he repositioned himself in more of a defensive stance.  "What has you so wound up?"
"Nothing."
"I can see you are working through a lot of stuff in that mind of yours."
I swung again, my knuckles barely grazed his shoulder.
"So you don't want to talk about it?"
Talk about the excitement of going after Damian and releasing those people or the fact that I am standing here sparing with you right now instead of being under Damian's thumb? That me being here is putting everyone I care about in danger?  And the Queen... my mother... what about that?  I swung again and barely missed his face.
"Close."  He bounced around a little more.  "You are thinking too much about your emotions and trying to hit me; that's why you keep missing.  Get out of your head and fight.  How am I going to move?" He swiveled his head back and forth, "Anticipate my movements rather than why you are punching."
"I've been told I am too emotional." I said kicking my leg up.
He threw his arms up to block.
"Sounds like something Tristan would say."  He regained his stance.  "It's ok to have emotion, not everyone can be like him, but you need to be able to control it and channel it."  He said ducking from another punch.  "You are getting closer."

o o o o

Mars threw me a towel that Arbus had just brought out for us both. 
"Do you feel better?" He asked.  "I don't know if I could go another round with you.  I felt like you were trying to take off my head." He smiled.
"Sorry."
"No, don't be sorry, you're better than half my team.  You have a natural talent and you should never be sorry about that." He lightly hit me with the towel, "I would love to have you fight alongside me anytime."
"I don't think my watchdog would approve."
He threw his head back and laughed.  "Tristan?  No probably not, although he did tell me to test you tonight, so maybe you are making some headway with him."  He sat down and patted the ground next to him.  "Sit with me for a minute."
This felt very big brotherly. 
He must have sensed my hesitation.  "Remember, I have sisters so it comes with the territory."
I sat down. 
"I know you are going through some stuff.  I don't know what, I guess my clearance isn't that high, or maybe I just don't need to know right now.  But I do know you have been through hell since you have been here and from what it sounds like, before you even got here. You hold it all inside, but you can't do that, so if you ever want to talk or fight I am always here for you...until you become better than me, then I won't be." He playfully shifted his weight into me, "But I doubt that will happen, even though you are the only one who has managed to get a drop on 'oh stoic one', still doesn't make you better than me."
Sensing the heart to heart was over, I nudged him back.  "So when are you going to teach me air combat?  You said you would before I left."
"I was hoping you had forgotten."
"Not a chance."
"Well I am actually getting a group of some of my elite together tomorrow tonight for some practice.  You are welcome to join."
"Really?"
"I will tell them to take it easy on you." He chuckled. "It will be good for you, and who knows, you may learn a thing or two."
"What time?"
"We'll meet here after dinner." He was standing up and turned to lend me his hand.
He pulled me up.  "Thanks.  Do I need to bring anything?"
"Nope."  He laid the towel on a bench and a claw came out of the wall to take it away.  "I'll see you tomorrow."
"Can't wait."
He smiled, "Don't mention it to anyone."
I nodded and started to make my way back to my room, as it was late and I was getting tired.  The adrenaline I had flowing through me was gone and was quickly being replaced with lead weights on my eyelids.
The hall lights were set to a low evening dim, like they were lulling us into sleep.  I didn't need any help there, I was going to take a quick shower and go to bed.  Once in my room,  I made my way over to the set of drawers in the wall to get a set of clean clothes.  I shimmied out of my pants when I heard a noise behind me.  I jumped and when I turned around there was a dark figure sitting on the edge of my bed. 
Was Damian here to kill me?