Chapter 20

"Wake up."  A soft voice said.  "Araleigh.  Wake up."
"No."
"You have to."
"No."
"The trouble you must have put Charlie through in your teenage years."
Mom?
I slowly cracked my eyes and then shut them again.
"What time is it?"
"It's in the late morning."
"Can I sleep just a little longer?"
"No, you must get up.  Knowing the trouble you probably got into last night, I whipped up one of my famous post party drinks." She gently pulled me up.  "Here, drink this."  She gently cradled the back of my neck and touched the glass to my lips."
I must have had a lot to drink last night, though I don't remember all of it because the feeling of this glass on my lips made me feel sick.
"Stop fighting. Just drink.  I promise it will make you feel better almost instantly."
I didn't want to call her a liar but she didn't know how bad I was feeling.  I tipped the drink up.
"It will taste horrendous but just drink it."
She could have told me that a second sooner, it was worse than horrendous.  I opened my eyes and looked at her.  Any tiredness I had been feeling was gone now, I was wide awake.  It's like the horrible drink instantly sucked the sleep right out of me.
She laughed.  "It isn't that bad is it?  You are giving me the look of death." She laughed again. 
Her laugh was pleasant and made me want to smile.
"There." She took the glass from me.  "Lay back down and I will come back in just a little bit.  You should feel like a completely new person then.  I have to go visit your brother and friends now.  I came to you first since you probably didn't know what you were getting in to." She smiled and gently wiped the hair from my face.  Such softness, gentleness.
I closed my eyes, but felt her sitting on the edge of the bed, her hand resting gently on mine.  It was like she wanted to say something but didn't have the courage.  She rubbed my head gently one more time before standing up and walking out of the room.  I heard her close the door gently and I was asleep again.
You have to jump. A voice in my head said.
"Jump." A women's voice behind me yelled.
I turned and saw Yerdonna running towards me.
"We can't.  It's not real," I said, trying to convince myself that whatever was happening wasn't real.
"Jump."  She said running past me and jumping. 
I looked behind her and the trees were crashing down.  There was something coming, something big.
I turned back around and looked over the cliff.  I couldn't see anything, just clouds.
I jumped.
"Wake up," a singsong voice said.
She was back.  She just left.  Why was I jumping? Did I survive?  What was going on?
"You should feel a lot better now."  She said gently wiping my hair away.
I opened my eyes and sat up.  She was right, I was feeling a lot better.  I wouldn't say 100%, but close to it.
"How do you feel?"
"Much better. Thank you.  What is that stuff?"
"It was my mother's recipe.  I could tell you all of the ingredients but you wouldn't remember.  I'll write them down for you so you can make it for your children when I am no longer here."
The words shocked me a little.  I had just started accepting her in my life and she was already talking about leaving me again. 
"I have so much to share with you." She smiled and rubbed my arm.  She continued looking at me. 
Again, I felt like she wanted to say something but was holding back.  "Is there something you want to tell me?"
She hesitated for a moment and then said, "No." She stood up and moved towards the door.  "I have breakfast ready for everyone downstairs when you are ready."
"Thank you."
"Of course." She smiled and closed the door.
Those last few moments, felt... weird.  It was like we were in a bubble and it was just the two of us.  Happy.  Simply happy.  But reserved, still scared of what the other may think or feel if we expressed our true feelings.  All in time.  
I got up from bed and went to take a shower to finish waking me up.  Today was the day Charlie came home and would be safe.
Venus and Mars were the only ones in the dining hall when I arrived.
"Good Morning!" She smiled.
"Good Morning." She clearly felt a lot better than I did.
"How are you feeling?'
"Fine." I paused looking at both of them, "And you guys?"
"We feel great.  We already got our run in for the morning."
"Wow."
"Did you have fun last night?"
"I did.  Though some things seem a bit hazy."
"The Kumunji drinks affects everyone differently." Venus said, taking a sip of juice.  "Your mom laid breakfast out for us."  She pointed to the large spread on the table.  "She said we could start since she didn't know when everyone else would be down."
I sat down across from her and started filling up my plate.  I was starving.  "Where is Ivan?"
"He is still upstairs getting ready."
"Did someone say Ivan?" Ivan said walking in.
"I was just asking where you were."
"I was enjoying my slumber.  I am not one of those crazy fools who get up ultra early and run after a night of partying." He said playfully scowling at Mars and Venus.
"Helps me to wake up." Mars said smiling, helping himself to another plate of food.
Franz, Ty, and Cash walked in and sat down moments later.
"Good Morning." I said to all of them, taking a bite of food.
They all waved, I guess they still didn't feel like talking yet.  They grabbed a plate and sat down, passing the food around the table.
"Well I would just like to thank you all so much for yesterday and for last night.  I had an amazing time and I am glad I got to experience it with all of you."
"We know." They all said in unison, laughing. 
"You told us like a hundred times last night." Mars said.
"Oh."  I didn't remember.
"But, you are welcome.  We are glad Cash invited us." Mars added, smiling.
"Any word on Charlie yet?" I asked Mars.
He nodded, "Yes actually, I just got off the phone with my team and they should be here soon, maybe even by the time we finish breakfast."
I was so happy my heart felt like it could burst. After all of this time worrying about Damian, it was all finally coming to an end.  I felt like my life was getting back on track and it felt amazing.
We all sat there enjoying our breakfast and sharing stories from the night before, mostly for my benefit since I seemed to have forgotten most of the night when the bell rang.
Charlie!
I stood up and ran over to the door, my heart beating out of my chest.  It had been so long since I had seen him.
Cash and my mother were trailing behind me. 
I opened the door and saw Charlie standing there!
"Charlie! How are you?" I smiled.  "Isn't this place." I stopped, "What's wrong?"
"Araleigh," he shook his head.
"Charlie?" I was more concerned now.
The rest of the group was now behind me.
"Had I known there was a party, I would have come sooner," Damian said, stepping out from beside the door.
My heart sank into my stomach.  "Damian."
"Damian," my mother scolded and stepped forward.
"Give him to us."
He clicked his tongue.  "No, I don't think so."
"I had the prisoners and you took them away from me, so now I am going to take Charlie away from you." His words were cold and without emotion.  He pulled a blade from around his back and held it to Charlie's throat.
"No! Stop! Please don't." I begged, stepping forward.
Damian pulled Charlie, out of my reach and in doing so, scratched Charlie's throat.  There was a small line of blood trickling down his neck.
"Stop!" I pleaded again.  "I will do whatever you want."
"There was a time and a place for that.  You can't be trusted."
"Stop." I asked again, "I will union with you.  Right here, right now." I took a step forward.
"No!" Cash yelled and reached out to grab me.
I pulled my arm free from his grasp.
"Yes. Let's do it right now."  I turned to look at my mom desperate.  "You are the Queen you can do it can't you?"
She shook her head slowly. 
I threw my head up in exasperation.  "You have to.  I can't lose him."
She said, "I can preform it, just not here.  For it to be binding, it needs to be held at the Kimotabi Island."
"Then let's go." I motioned.
Damian looked at me with a bit of surprise in his eye.  "You will do anything for him wouldn't you."
"Yes." I said sincerely.
He hesitated for a moment.  "I am not saying I will release him if we union, but I will at least keep him alive until then."
"And unhurt."
"You are in no position to make requests."
"Please," I added.
"No promises," he said turning to leave.  "Tonight, Kimotabi Island, be there or he dies while you watch." They climbed into his pod and then they zoomed off.
"Araleigh, you can't do that." Cash scolded.
"I can and I will."
Cash looked at mom, "Please can't you do something."
"Cassius, she is a grown woman.   You may not like her decision, I don't, but you can support her."
"So you aren't even going to try?" He stormed off.
Everyone around us slowly went off to their separate corners until I was left standing there with Queen.
"Araleigh."
"Don't.  I don't want to do this, but it is the only way I know that will protect everyone I care about from getting hurt."
"I was just going to say, if you change your mind, I will be there for you.  I will support you either way, but you just need to be careful with him. He is ruthless and doesn't care about anyone except himself."
"Thank you for your support and I know."
"Let's go back into the waiting room so I can walk you through the details."
I appreciated that she was being so supportive but at the same time I couldn't help but wonder why she wasn't fighting more.
We sat down and she opened the windows to let the nice cool breeze and scents of flowers fill the room.
"The Kimotabi island is a sacred ground, it is where all unions must occur to be binding."
Binding.  The word made me nervous.
"We will arrive separately, ahead of everyone else, while the others will be granted access to the island through one pod.  They will have a place to sit, but they will not be able to go inside the chamber of the council where the actual union takes place.  That is reserved strictly for members of the five families and one guard per family.  Typically, that would be Tristan but since he isn't here Mars or Cash will be taking his place."
"That's assuming they come."
"They will.  They are your friends and they will support you.  I am sure of that." 
There was a soft knock on the door.
"Come in."
Chauncey enter, "Your meeting with the five families is starting soon."
"Right.  Thank you.  I guess this meeting will not go as expected." She joked, but had sad eyes.  "Stay in here as long as you need."
What I needed was to go back in time.  How did he get ahold of Charlie, I thought everything was ok.  I had to go find Mars and figure out what happened.
I left the room soon after my mother and stood in the foyer.  I needed to find someone who would now where he was. 
I waited for a second before Chauncey came back to the foyer.
"Can I help you?" He asked.
"Yes, where would-"
"I am right here," he said waving his hand walking up to me.
"How did you know?"
"I saw you on the cameras.  Walking out and standing in the middle of the foyer with your arms crossed, looking like you are ready to take on the world."
"What happened?" I tried to soften the question so I didn't come across as accusatory.
"I went to the war room to figure it out.  From what I can tell right now, it looks like when my team got back here, they were ambushed.  Two are dead and another two are injured."
"I'm sorry."
"Thank you and I am sorry.  I told you I would get him home safely and I failed."  He took a step closer and grabbed my hands, "So you know, I have sent a team to watch over Damian's place to keep an eye on him and Mr. Thomas. They have been instructed that if they can find a way to extract him safely they are to take it.  We are going to try everything we can to get you out of this union."
I nodded in appreciation.  "How upset is Cash?"
"He is pretty upset," he looked around, "he just needs to cool down some."
"I don't want to union with him, he is a monster, but I have to save Charlie and you all. He won't stop coming after you all."
"I understand why you think that and it is very noble of you, but you can't always protect us."
I cocked my head to the side.
He raised his hands, "Ok, ok.  I know how stubborn the Cash and the Queen are, so I can imagine you are just the same.  I just wanted to say my peace."
"Thank you."
"I am going to go see if there were any updates." He turned and saw Venus walking up, "Perfect timing," he said to her.
"Hey there," she said solemnly with a smile on her face.
"Hey," I said simply.  "Have you come to try to talk me out of it?"
"No.  I get it.  I don't like it but I get it.  I would probably do the same thing." She shrugged and gave me a hug.
"So what happens?"
"I've never been to one before." She said mildly excited.  "I have always wanted to go to the Kimotabi island.  It just sucks this is why I am going.  I was hoping it would be for you and Tristan," she had a smile spread across her face.
Tristan.  He was going to be so mad and I wouldn't get to be with him anymore, I realized sadly.
"So you all are coming?"
"Of course."
"Do you think Cash will come?"
"Yes.  He will want to be there, if not for anything else but to protect you in case he tries something or to be there to run interference if you bail."
"I can't. Not if it means putting Charlie or you guys in trouble."
She shrugged.  I could tell she was biting her tongue.
"Well I am going to clean up, even though it is a sad occasion I still need to find an outfit for it." She smile and flittered away across the foyer to the elevator that led to the bedrooms.
I made by way back to the dining hall and grabbed a piece of left over fruit.  I saw the door swinging to the left of the room and figured they were clearing the table off. I grabbed two plates and walked through the door to the oversized kitchen.  It was all white and light grays it was beautiful yet simple. 
"Sit that down," the woman said kindly but authoritatively.
"You speak English?"
She nodded.  "The Queen made us learn it when she got back, she was in love with it!"
"Oh." I hadn't realized.
She pointed to a little nook.  "The Queen just sat down over there." 
I saw her sitting in a chair looking out into the garden with her feet pulled up in the seat.
I walked over and joined her, taking a seat in one of the accent chairs looking out into the garden.
"How are you doing?" She said sitting her cup down.  "I saw you talking to Mars earlier and wanted to give you some space."
"I am fine, well as fine as I could be."
"Would you like some tea to help relax you?"
"Yes, thank you."
"Cami, can you please bring Araleigh some tea."
"Of course ma'am."
She was sitting down a tea seconds later.
"I was forced to marry a man I did not love. Although our situations are a bit different."
"Yea?"
"You will find a way to make it work."
"Are you not nervous he will do something to you once we have completed the union?"
"If it happens it happens."  She looked around.  "Would you like to go for a walk around the gardens?"
"Sure." Something was odd about her comment, how could she be so flippant about her life?
She slipped her feet into her shoes and stood up.  She motioned towards the door.
"Aren't these flowers beautiful?" She gently grabbed one and brought it to her nose to smell and then pushed it in my direction. 
"They are." I said breathing the fresh scent of the flower in deeply.
We continued walking. 
"One day this will all be yours."
"I find that so hard to believe.  People keep saying it, but it doesn't make sense to me."
"I know.  It's my fault." She said somberly.  "I was trying to protect you when you were a baby by sending you back to live with your father and for that I am sorry.  I thought if I could keep you out of this world then it couldn't touch you.  But you always found a way back." She smiled.  "When you were younger and fell through the portal after Tristan, I couldn't believe my eyes.  I knew who you were the instant I saw those beautiful golden green eyes look at me.  I stood there paralyzed for a moment.  I didn't want to overact and alert Damian to who you really were because I had suspected he was working for the Nevi and I didn't want to give him anything he could use against me.  I had my guards pick you up and bring you inside.  I washed you up and held you in my arms, taking as much of you in as I could. It had been so many years and I missed you greatly.  Watching you grow up through the seer just wasn't the same as having you in my arms."
"I don't remember any of this."
"You were pretty out of it.  Do you remember other parts?"
"I don't know.  It always felt more like a dream than anything.  I was walking with you hand in hand, through a beautiful garden area and there was a small stream and rocks.  Much like the place at Damian's house behind the trees."
"You found that place?"
"Yes."
"Do you remember anything else?"
"Not really.  The next thing I remember I am on my father's front porch."
"I just want you to know I am truly sorry.  Seeing you now and the woman you have become has filled me with regret at the decisions I made.  I feared if the people found out about you, especially the Nevi, they would kill you."
"Because I am a halfling."
"Don't say that nasty word, but yes, because you weren't full blooded Arcadian."
"What will they think now?  They will all find out sooner rather than later."
"I know.  Not something I thought about when you were a baby.  Although watching you throughout the years has shown me you are tough and you can handle anything that is thrown your way."
"Why did Cash come to Earth?"
"He was a bit of a trouble maker, so sending him to Earth wouldn't raise any flags.  I had heard Damian had become the leader of the Nevi's and he had suspicion's of you.  He had sent some of his people to go after you and when I sent some of my guards to stop it, it basically tipped my hand.  He was testing me, but I couldn't take that risk.  I tried to play it off that I felt responsible for you since you had fallen through the portal and he bought it for a while, but then he was also with me when I had gone to Earth with my team when we were attacked.  I guess he started putting pieces together.  It took him a while, but he finally did.  That is when I sent Cash.  With Cash by your side and Tristan watching you daily to report any changes or situations, I had full confidence, or as much confidence as one could have as a parent, that you were safe.  Fast forward some years later and here you are falling through the portal again.  At this point I knew it was fate for you to be here, so there was no use fighting it.  It was at this point, I was filled with overwhelming guilt for sending you away.  All of that time I had lost with you was for nothing and I didn't know how to act.  I still don't."  She stopped walking and sat on a bench under a large shade tree that had neon purple lines crawling up  the trunk and some sort of fruit hanging in the tree.
"I am not going to lie.  I was hurt and angry with you.  I couldn't understand why you would send me away.  I understand a little more now, but I can't just flip my feelings like a switch.  But I really want to let it all go and I am trying very hard."
She gently brushed my hair behind my ears. "I know and I am not asking for your forgiveness.  I just needed to get it off my chest.  I needed you to know how sorry I am I wasn't there for you.  Who knows, maybe if I hadn't tried to protect you, none of this would be happening."
"Damian strikes me as the person who would never give up.  He would find a way to get what he wants."
"You are right there.  He's always wanted power and now with you by his side he is closer than ever."
"How can I stop him?"
"I don't know if you can at this point.  After the union, I imagine he will break his promise to you.  He needs you to be Queen and the only way for that to happen is if I can't be Queen.  He will threaten your friends again, just like he is doing now."
"Why does he want power so bad?"
"Why does anyone want power?"
"Well I won't let him hurt you."
She smiled and grabbed my hand. "I don't think you'll have a choice.  Your heart is too big.  You are completing the union with him today to protect your friends, he knows all he has to do is threaten them and you will bend to his will."
I didn't like the fact she made me sound so weak, but if I was being honest with myself she was right.  I had to figure out a way to keep everyone safe and not give him that power.  "I don't know how else to keep you all safe."
"It isn't your job to keep us safe, but when the time comes it will be your job to keep everyone safe.  You will have to learn to make tough decisions."
"But I don't care about everyone else."
She laughed softly.  "I know.  It's a hard job to sacrifice those we love most for the greater good."
We sat in silence for a long while. 
"Shall we continue walking?  There is a lovely Aribelum flower I want to show you.  It is my absolute favorite and it's what I named you after."
"Sure." I smiled.  But I didn't want to walk anymore, I just wanted to bury my head in the sand.  I needed to find a way out of this or come to terms he may kill one or all of my friends.  Could I make a list of who he was most likely to go after first? No.  He was unpredictable.  It could be friends to show he can pick them off one by one or it may be a family member to show the depth of his reach.  It was no use.  I needed more time.
"This is the lovely Aribelum." She said gently reaching her hand behind the bud to pull it closer to her.  The bud closed when she touched it and then slowly reopened a minute later.  It was as large as her hand and was white with bits of purple and pink laced through out its pedals.  "Watch this." She started to softly hum a tune and the bud gently swayed back and forth. 
"Is it dancing?"
She nodded, "They love music.  When you were first born I would hum this song to you and you would stop crying and just look at me with those beautiful eyes and your little feet would wiggle back and forth and you would just coo softly at me."
I couldn't help but imagine myself as a baby in her arms with her singing this song to me. 
My head was laying in her lap and she was gently stroking my hair humming this song.  I could feel the cold hard stone we were sitting on.  I could hear water trickling somewhere close to us.  The air smelled sweet.  I kept my eyes closed.  I didn't know where I was or who this woman was.  I had an unexplainable feeling of warmth and of belonging lying here in her arms, but she was a strange to me.
"I have to get you back to your father soon.  He will be worried about you."
She knows my dad?
"But I have enjoyed this little bit of time with you.  You are just what I needed tonight."
She sounded sad.
"There is so much at stake my beautiful Araleigh."
Hers? She knew my name?
"Araleigh? Araleigh?" She was shaking my arm.
"What?  Sorry."
"Where did you go?"
"That song you were humming.  I remembered when I fell through the portal you took me somewhere.  I was laying with my head on your lap and you were rubbing my hair, humming that song."
"You were awake?"
"I never opened my eyes.  I didn't know what was going on."
"What else do you remember from that night?"
"Not much. I just remember hearing water trickle and feeling safe."
"That was a special night for me."
"You said something about needing me that night."  I looked over at her, "You sounded sad."
"I did?" 
"I don't remember much more than that."
"There isn't much more to remember.  Soon after I took you back through the portal and left you on the front porch of your father's house.  I rang his doorbell and hid behind the large oak tree that was in your front yard.  I watched and waited as he came out and found you there.  I wanted to make sure you got in safely and then I came back here."
"You didn't say anything to him?"
She shook her head, "I had said my good byes years before and he had moved on."
"I don't think he ever really moved on from you."
A bell rang off in the distance.
"We better start heading back."
"What was that?"
"Someone has arrived at the house.  My guess is Lupita is here with our dresses."
"Our dresses?"  I looked up and could barely see the peak of the house in the distance.  I hadn't realized we had walked so far.
"I called Lupita as soon as I could and had her bring some dresses over.  Even though this isn't the ideal union, I still would love for you to feel the part."
We made our way back to the house and saw Lupita waiting in the sitting room when we arrived.  She had two bags on the hanger.
"Here are your dresses my beautiful ladies." She didn't speak to the Queen with the same formality everyone else did.
"I am excited to see these," the Queen said moving over to give Lupita a quick hug.  She opened the bags, "These are absolutely beautiful Lupita!"
"I am glad her Majesty likes." She said with a small bow.
"Yes, very much."
I had never seen her like this before, so laid back and relaxed.  It was like Lupita brought out a completely other side of my mom... a normal everyday woman, with regular worries and not worries for the planet.
"Come sit." The Queen said waving her over to the chair beside her.  "How are the kids?"
"Trouble as usual."
"I didn't know you had kids."  I said.
"Oh no honey! They are not mine!  I have a few children I foster.  I try to keep them out of trouble and set them on a positive path so they don't end up with the wrong group of people."
The Nevi.  She didn't want to say it but I knew that's who she meant.
"Zander has really changed since his meeting with you." Lupita said.
"That's great news to hear." The Queen said clapping her hands together and looking at me.  "I would love to foster children, but unfortunately my schedule doesn't allow for it, but I try to be as involved as possible with the children Lupita gets." She said looking at me.
"You do more than you need."
"I don't do enough." The Queen said solemnly.
"Stop." Lupita said dismissing her.  "Would you two like some help getting into these wonderful masterpieces?" She asked, changing the subject.
"You know I need all the help I can get." My mom said laughing.
It was so interesting watching these two ladies.
"Shall we head to the dressing room then?" Lupita asked.
"Let's.  I will have Cami bring some tea."
I followed behind my mother and Lupita.  They reminded me of two long lost friends catching up.  I haven't been around my mother very much but it was enough to know the bond that these two shared was something very special. 
We made it to the elevator and it moved through the house, down a couple of halls and then stopped in front of a large set of double doors.
"The dressing room." Lupita said to me as if showing me a magic trick.  "I helped your mother design this room."
The Queen opened the doors and natural light poured into the room from the windows and reflected off all of the mirrors placed around the room.
"Wow."
"Wow is right.  Spectacular isn't it?" Lupita said.
"Yes."
"Would you want to do the honors and go first princess?"
"Sure." 
Lupita followed me over behind the changing curtain and helped me into my dress.
"Oh yes.  Let's go show your mother and let you get a good look at it."
I stepped out into the center of the room and the mirrors, as if on command, all moved closer to me and then stopped. I could see every angle of this dress.
"It's a very beautiful dress, simple yet sassy." It was a light lavender cream color with an overlay of flowers.  It had a thin strap over the shoulder connected to long flowing sleeves, leaving my shoulder exposed.  The back of the dress had modest scoop with three thin lines connecting the straps in the back.  "These straps represent you and your family.  One for Cash, your mother, and Mr. Thomas."
"Thank you."  It was very thoughtful of her to include Charlie, which only reminded me of the reason I was doing this.
"Your turn Arista." Lupita followed her behind the dressing curtain and moments later she came out in a beautiful full length gown white sequined gown with an imbedded golden waist band.  It was sleeveless with a modest but low back.
"Beautiful."
"Lupita you amaze me each and every time."
"Your headpiece Queen." She handed her a simple golden headpiece that matched the dress perfectly.  "And for you princess." She said handing me a smaller headpiece that was a sort of purplish gold.  "I tried to get something similar to your mothers, but still unique to you."
"Thank you, it is beautiful."
We sat and finished our tea while they caught up.  I just listened absentmindedly, trying to figure out a plan to get out of this union but still keep everyone safe.  I hadn't come up with anything yet and I was running out of time.
"Are we ready to go?" Lupita asked.
"I guess so." I hesitated.
We walked through the house and climbed into the waiting pod. "When we get there I'll walk you through the ceremony so you know what to expect." My mom said gently grabbing my hand.
"Ok."  My stomach was starting to tighten.  With each passing minute it was becoming more real.  Think Araleigh.  Find a way out of this.
It wasn't before long that we were flying over the Kimotabi lake.  I looked down at the water and saw all of the beautiful sparkles and couldn't help be reminded of Micah.
All of the past souls that lived before us.  Tristan had said.  Well I need your help now if you can hear me.  Help me to find a way out of this disaster of a union, I prayed staring into the water.
The island was much larger than I had expected, granted the few times I had seen it had been from afar. Now I could see two distinct mountains with water slicing straight through the middle. 
Our pod came to a stop in the middle of the air.  There was no way we were getting out here, I thought confused.
"Don't worry, this is the first checkpoint." My mother said.
Moments later we continued.  "I didn't see anyone."
"You won't.  There are little robots scanning the pod.  Only certain pods can enter this area."
"Oh."  We continued flying as we were still far enough away things looked like a speck.  "Down there is the main drop off point and it looks like Cash is already here." The Queen said pointing down to where there was a pod on the ground.  "The ceremonial chambers are right off that entrance."
"Cash is here?"
She nodded, "Even though he is not happy about this, he wanted to be here for you."
I smiled.
Our pod landed and we stepped out into a much warmer, more tropical, air that smelled sweet.  I could hear the lapping of the water hitting the shore behind us.  "It is beautiful here."
"Yes it is."  The Queen agreed.  "Let's go in here and see if Cash needs any help."
We stepped onto the dock and entered through some very large double doors in the side of one of the mountains.  The doors were five times taller than I was.  "This is the secondary chamber."
"Oh."  It was a smaller room with seats on both sides.  There were a few flowers tucked here and there around the room but nothing too over the top. 
"This is where all of your friends will be sitting."
Seeing it all was starting to make the idea a reality and it was very unsettling.  I looked around at the small room and remembered that only members of the five families and one guard would be allowed in the main chamber.  "Ok."  My stomach was getting tighter with each passing second.
"Are you ok?" My mother asked, walking over to put her hand on my forehead.
"I am fine."
She looked at me for a minute and then continued walking towards the main chamber.  She opened a set of smaller doors and walked up a few steps.  "This is the main chamber."
I followed up the steps and stood beside her.  We were standing in a large stone cave with a circle in the middle of the room that looked to be lit by the light coming from an opening in the top of the mountain.  There were different symbols around the circle on the floor, presumably the languages of the five families.  I did read something on the floor that said 'Protect. Serve. Sacrifice. Honor.' which must represent Earth.  Around the room were five stone circular platforms a step up from the main floor with a set of symbols on the wall, matching a section of the floor around the circle.  I found the one that said EARTH in large letters reading straight down.
"Each of the five families will take their spot around the room.  You will walk in from the secondary chamber and then through those doors and walk up to this platform here in the middle of the room where Damian will be waiting for you.  We will all speak a few words and then a podium will raise up in the middle of you two and you will both place your hands on it.  You will see a light shine which will go straight up through the mountain into the air.  This light is so bright it can be seen from all planets, so others will know of the union taking place today."
"Earth will be able to see it?"
"They are the furthest from us, so to them it will look like a bright star.  The Bolax are the next furthest and depending on the time of day it will either look like a bright star or they may see a faint beam."
All of those times I had looked up in the sky and seen the bright stars.  Could that have been someone participating in a union?
"Once the light shines for a minute you will move to stand beside each other and face each of the five families so they can give you their blessing."
"Who will give the blessing for Earth?"
"Director Brooks from the Authority is next in line behind Damian, so she will be giving her blessing."
"Director Brooks?" It felt like a lifetime since I had seen her. 
"Once you get the blessings from all five families, you will look at each other and give your blessing and then that is it.  You will walk back out hand in hand through the secondary chamber and into the pod.
That's it.  Just like that and it's all done.
"There she is."  I turned and saw Cash standing by the door.  "Are you ready?" His mood had changed quite a bit since the last time we spoke.
"Not at all."
He twisted his lips and raised his eyebrows.
"Don't say it."
"I am not," he said holding up his hands.
"It looks lovely Cassius, you did a beautiful job." 
"Thanks mom."  He turned to Lupita, who I hadn't noticed was sitting in one of the chairs in the secondary chamber.  "These dresses are beautiful."
"Did you expect anything less?" She said standing up.
"Of course not and I got my outfit.  Thank you."
"I was hoping it would arrive here in time."
There was a buzz overhead.
"That must be others arriving." Cash said looking up.  "I need to go change."
"That is my cue." Lupita said walking towards the door.
"Where are you going?" I asked.
"I'm leaving."
"You can't."
She raised her eyebrows.
"You barely know me."
"So.  My family knows you and you have been fantastic to me and you seem to be one of the few who can keep Cash in line and I may need your help with that tonight since Tristan isn't here."
"Speaking of, where is that handsome boy?"
"I don't know, I was hoping he would be back by now."
"Really?" She smiled.
I smiled back.  "To keep Cash under control."
She nodded.  "Of course."  She looked around.  "Fine you've convinced me.  I will stay."  She found a seat near the back of the room and sat down.  "You need to get out of here."
"I don't know where to go."
"Here." I had forgotten my mother was still in the room.  She must have been talking to Cash about something.  "Follow me."
She grabbed my hand and brought me back into the main chamber and shut the door. 
"I can't go anywhere."
"Araleigh." She smiled and moved over to the Arcadian platform and pushed on the third symbol down from the top.  There was a small click and she moved around behind the stone back drop and through a crack.  "We can go out this way."
I followed her through a dim tunnel.  The only light was coming from the end which was a little distance away. 
"What is this?"
"Each of the families has a private tunnel to their pod in case of emergency so  we aren't trapped with only one way out.  No one knows where each tunnel leads to on the outside of the island.  It is cloaked in protection to prevent an ambush."
There was so much I had to learn.
"Don't worry you will get it all one day.  You are a fast learner." She said reading my mind.
Moments later we were standing outside on a dock hanging off the side of the mountain at least ten stories above the water.  I walked to the end of the dock and climbed into the pod.  It's not that I am scared of heights, but for some reason that made me feel a little woozy.
"It got me the first couple times too."
"What?"
"Coming out of the cave and seeing yourself so high in the air.  You don't really expect it, it plays with your head a little."
"Oh yea."
"We have a few minutes to waste.  I want to take you somewhere."
"Ok."
My mom pushed a button on the pod and a steering wheel appeared.  She pulled back on the wheel towards her and the pod started going straight up into the air, climbing the mountain.  She gently turned the handles and the pod followed.
"Are you flying this?"
"Yes.  Where we are going is not on a map."
"I didn't know one could drive these."
"Yes.  Would you like to try?"
"I don't know."
"Come on," she said waving me to the front.  "My father always told me it was important you learn to fly one of these because you never know when you will have to."
"Ok then." I moved up beside her and grabbed the wheel.
"It is very similar to an a-rod."  She laid her hands on top of mine.  "I want you to get a feel for it.  Turn gently to the left and then to the right."
I turned with her hands on top of mine and the pod shifted from left to right.
"To go up, you are going to pull towards you and to go down you are going to push down.  Slowly though."
I pulled up a little too fast but the Queen corrected.  "That's ok.  Just a little easier next time.  Let's try going down."
I was much better going down. 
"Good job.  I am going to take my hands off and let you drive now.  I will be right here if you get nervous."
"But I don't know where we're going."
"Continue going forward."
"But there is a mountain there."
"There is?" She asked.
"Yes.  It is right"- It vanished.  "Are we in the mountain?"
"That one is an optical illusion."
"How did you know?"
"Because I created it."
"You created that?"
"I wanted a spot just for me."
"And the council let you do that?"
"They don't know about it."
"They don't?"
"No one does, except for you now."
"Really?"
"Really." She smiled. 
Everything was so beautiful and green and somehow felt oddly familiar, which couldn't be because I would have remembered this place.  "Do you see that waterfall over there?"
"Yes."
"You are going to fly into it."
"Into?"
"Yes. There is a little spot you can park the pod behind it."
"Ok." 
"Just slow down as you approach it.  Once you go through it you will need to stop."
"Maybe you should do this part."
"Ok," she said as I slid over so she took control of the steering wheel. 
Water pounded the top of the pod for only a second and then stopped.  We were in a dark cave as she was setting the pod down.
"I have a place like this on Earth."
"I know."
"You do?"
"I would watch over you, make sure you were staying out of trouble and were always protected."  She opened the pod door and the sound of the waterfall was loud.  I couldn't hear anything.  She pulled me a little further from it, deeper into the cave and it was like someone flipped a switch.  I could still hear the waterfall but it was much quieter, and it was a little brighter here.  There were pockets of light coming in from above.
"Why are you showing me this?"
"Because if you ever need a place to escape to I want you to know you can use this anytime."
We sat down on the bench against the wall, the stone was cool to the touch.  We just listened to the water fall which was now a light hushing sound and a small trickle of water. 
"If you ever need me I will always be right here."
"Why are you talking like that?  I feel like you are preparing to say good bye."
She laughed softly.  "No, of course not."
I didn't respond but just closed my eyes and listened and then it hit me.
"This is where you took me that night."
"What night?"
"The night I feel through the portal."
"No."
"Yes it is.  I know it is.  The water trickling, the smell in the air, the stone bench."
"No. You are confusing it with the place on my old property.  There was a stone bench and a little stream that fed into a pond there."
I wasn't buying it, but I couldn't prove it.  Why would she be lying to me about this?
"We should probably head back.  I imagine everyone is there and waiting for us."
"Ok."  Everyone but the one person I want to be there.
We started walking back to the pod.  The time here felt like it had flown by, but I knew we had been here for some time.
"I will have you drop me off at the dock and then fly around to the main entrance.  You will push this button and it will send the pod back to the dock."
"Ok."  Did she want to leave because it really was time or was she trying to get me away from this place?  This was the place from that night.  I just know it is.  But I couldn't figure out why she would lie to me about it.
She turned the pod on and we began ascending.  She drove it out of the waterfall and back to the dock.  We didn't really say much of anything on the ride back.  There wasn't much to say.  This was not a joyous occasion.
"I will see you in there.  Remember if you give me any sign at all I will put a stop to it and end the ceremony." She said quickly rubbing my head and giving me a quick kiss on my forehead.
Would it be like this after tonight?  Would I have the same relationship with her, or would it be cut short because I would be viewed as a possible enemy?
I flew around to the main entry and saw two pods parked out front.  One must have been Cash's from earlier and the second was longer, probably the same one we used the night before.  Well... this was it.
I stepped out of the pod and made my way to the door.  With every step my stomach grew into a tighter knot.  By the time I reached the two double doors I thought I was going to be sick. I leaned over to shift my weight onto the door, but they opened. 
I saw all of my friends sitting in their seats, dressed so beautiful.  They all had a mixed look on their face. One of awe and one of sadness and at the front was Charlie, sitting with two guards on either side of him.
You look beautiful. Venus mouthed to me.
I tighten my lips and smiled.  I walked slowly down the aisle to the next set of doors, pausing to look at Charlie who smiled and then waved me on.  I quickly glanced at Mars who shook his head.
What was I doing?  I needed to leave.  I couldn't do this.  I was putting them all in more danger.  I wasn't protecting them.  My knees buckled and Franz was there to catch me.
"You can do this... if you want." He whispered.  "Just make some sign if you want out, anything."
I didn't know what I wanted anymore.  There was still time.  "I have to protect you all."
"You worry about yourself.  We can protect us.  We have been doing it for years."
I used his hand and pushed myself back up straight.  I can do this.  I was not weak.
I squeezed his hand and continued walking, back straight and with a purpose.  The doors opened and I took the few steps up to the platform.  The room was not as impressive this time.  I looked around the room and saw the heads from all the five families there. 
Yerdona was standing at her podium and in a beautiful golden and black two-piece dress with a long headdress on.  Director Brooks was in an all-black suit, her hair was a little longer now than it had been last time I saw her and her lens-less glasses were folded neatly in her pocket.  She saw me and scowled.  The Bolax king was standing with his wife, who was cradling their young daughter in her arms, while the Quafer royal family was standing on an elevated platform.  All five of them with their electric hair colors stood behind the podium.  My mother was standing in her place smiling at me, with Cash to her side.  And right in front of her in the center of the room was Damian who was smiling from ear to ear.
My stomach turned but I didn't show any sign of weakness.  I wouldn't.  Not now.
I continued to move forward without breaking stride to the center of the room where I stopped and stood across from him.
"You took longer than expected." Damian said quietly gritting his teeth.
"I'm here, aren't I?"  I retorted back.
His smile vanished and his eyes narrowed. "I see we forgot how to watch our tongue."
"Let's stop pretending."  The power I held right now was all consuming.  I felt like I could shoot light rays out of my palms and destroy him.
He inhaled deeply and placed his hands on the center podium.
I waited a minute longer than I should have and then placed mine opposite his. The beam of light shot straight through us and into the sky.
It has started. 
He looked back down at me as the beam shot back down in the podium. 
He started to move towards his left so I followed to my right. We stood side by side facing the Bolax.
The King stood.  "If it is your intention to union, we, the Bolax, see no reason why you should not.  We consent."
The circle turned to face Yerdona. My mom had failed to mention this part.  It caught me a little off guard and Damian grabbed my arm to prevent me from falling.  I regained my posture and stood beside him.  Both him and Yerdona were smirking at each other.
"The people of Hepkanot and I, their leader, Yerdona, see no reason you two shall not union.  It is with great honor I consent." She smiled and winked at Damian.
One step closer to their dreams, I thought bitterly.
The platform turned to face the Quafers.  This time I didn't stumble.
The King stepped up to the front of the podium.  His bright blue hair sparkled in the light.
"I ask what is your purpose for this union?"
I was not expecting this, and neither was Damian.  He seemed a little angry.
"This union is not out of love, rather out of necessity. With Araleigh being of half Arcadian and half Earthling, our union would forever bring Earth into the fold and will allow us to utilize all of their resources and make our alliance that much stronger."
I wasn't buying it and I watched the Quafer king who was thinking about it as well. 
"I, King Lormane of the Quafers, give consent for this union."
I couldn't help but think that Damian let out a small exhale.
We turned to face Director Brooks.  "Araleigh," she said addressing me with hate in her eyes.  "You have always been a mystery to me.... I could never figure out why Damian was always so infatuated with you and your well- being, I still can't."
I felt like she was envious of me.  I don't know why though, I guess because she was wanting to have the power, and right now, she is Director of the Authority but still behind Damian.  If she was with Damian she would have power behind her name.  Her and Damian were perfect for each other, come to think of it.
Her tone softened, "It is obvious I never stood a chance in your light."
I felt Damian cut his eyes towards her.
"I, Patricia Brooks, speaking on behalf of Damian for Earth, give my consent." She said lackadaisically. 
Damian gave a soft nod.
We turned to my mother. This was the last chance.  Did I want her to consent?
Yes.
No.
Yes.
She looked at me and I just looked down.
"I, Queen Arista of Arcadia," she paused.  So long I even looked up at her to make sure she was ok. She was shaking her head so faintly, my heart was pounding. What would I do if she said no?  What would happen?  I envisioned the rocks shaking and caving in around us.  Was this what I dreamt about? 
I turned to the King of Bolax. 
No.  His daughter was too young.  This was not it.
"I, Queen Arista of Arcadia, regrettably," she paused again, but this time not as long, "give my consent to this union."
I exhaled.
I didn't know if I was more happy or sad.
Damian moved around the podium across from me again. 
"I, Damian, give my consent." He rushed and looked at me.
"I, Araleigh Winters, of both Earth and Arcadia,-"
"Stop!" The doors burst open.
I looked to my right and saw Tristan standing there.