Chapter 14

We all went our separate ways when the door to the pod opened.  It was late so there weren't many people out roaming the halls, maybe a few sitting in some of the glass bubble like reading nooks, but that was about it.  I turned around and saw Tristan and Cash were gone, so I made my way to the workout room to meet Mars, we managed to get back just in time.  There were a few people standing around chatting with one another when I walked in, but they all stopped and looked at me confused.
Mars walked in moments behind me, thankfully.  "Good we are all here, Araleigh will be joining us tonight so everyone please make her feel welcome."
I quickly glanced around the room and a few people gave me smiles and a few others rolled their eyes, it's what I expected... outsider girl from Earth coming to play warrior with Arcadians.
"Tonight we are going to play a game."  He paused to look around the room for excitement, but didn't get any.  "Oh come on guys, this will be fun, we're going to play Mobea and I have already sent the other team ahead of us."  He looked over at me.  "Basically combat training game in which the two teams must use their various tactical skills to avoid detection of the other team, while systematically taking out members of the opposing team one by one until there is only one team left.  After this we will practice some air combat training."  He looked to the crowd.  "I told Araleigh I would teach her and what better group than you all."  He smiled. "So everyone grab your masks and let's head out."
I heard a couple people mumble how they were going to lose because I was on their team.  A few others started swiping on their comms, I assume placing bets on when I would get taken out.   I could feel my pulse start to quicken, as the excitement built, plus I could use the distraction.
I followed behind the group to get my mask and I watch what they did.  When I didn't see Mars leading us, it didn't take long to figure out that a girl they called Shawna was the leader.  She was short, with a petite frame and a pixie cut, who was wearing a black tank top and dark colored pants.  Everyone watched and listened to her intently as she listed out our plan of attack and when she was done we all started to make our way to what they called the arena, but I stayed near the back so I could observe.
The arena wasn't at all what I expected, instead of a large open field it was a heavily wooded area.  A couple people to my left and right both quickly climbed up the trees closest to them, stayed for a second and then came back down.
The one guy pointed in front of us. "Looks like the other team is set up over by the north rock."
The other added, "I saw a couple scouting to the left of them, maybe only about 4 or 5."
I looked around, there seemed to be about 15 people or so on our team, so I would have to assume the other team had the same amount or close to it.
Shawna looked around the group and pointed, "You four and the new girl, head out and try to take out the scout group."
One of the guys let out a moan. 
Shawna quickly snapped back. "This is my op, do as I say with less complaining or I will take you out of the game myself."  She glanced at me and I gave a smile, but she just looked away and continued talking to the rest of the group.  No bonding there.
The five of us broke off from the group and started creeping through the woods, my pulse was quickening with each step I took.  I was in the middle of the group.  The guy that moaned was in front of me with another guy, who seemed to be in charge of our little group.  I guess it would help me if I knew everyone's name and rank, since they all appeared to have one.  Maybe, I should just number them all to keep them straight, since no one seemed to be in the mood to talk.
"Hey."  I looked to my left a little surprised. The girl lifted her mask and placed it on top of her head, shaking her head slowly causing her long bright blonde hair that shimmered in the moonlight, to fall down her back.
"Hey." I whispered back. 
"Welcome to the team, my name is Venus."
"Are you Mars sister?"
"That's me."  She smiled.  "Hey, ignore those other people, especially Ivan, he doesn't really like anyone," she said nodding towards the groaning guy, "Mars speaks highly of you, so I am sure you can hold your own and to be honest, I think most of the guys are intimidated by you."
I choked back a laugh.
"Seriously." She smiled.  She quickly pulled her hair back into a ponytail and wrapped it into a tight bun which was still very blonde, but it didn't stand out as much.
"What's the bet up too?"
"Excuse me?"
"On when I will get taken out?"
She hesitated and then answered, "Bet is you will be out within the first 5."
I shrugged.
"But if it makes you feel better, I bet for last 5."
"It doesn't bother me either way...can I place a bet?"
She stopped and looked at me confused.
"Do you have any bit?"
"I don't know."
She looked ahead.  "Let me see your comm device real quick and we will see; if not I will transfer some to you." She smiled as she quickly swiped through the comm's device. 
"Oh wow, you have a ton of bit...more than me."
"Really?"  I was shocked.  I wonder where it came from?
"What do you want to bet?"
"That I will go out last."
She looked at me surprised again.
"It is 500 bit to place that, with a 30:1 odd."
"Place it for 2000 bit."
She looked at me. 
"I don't know... can I do that? Do I have that much bit?"
"Yes, you have over a million, but that is a lot of bit." She was shocked.
"It's fine, I don't need all of it." Maybe I could figure out a way to help those in need with it.
She shrugged and placed the bet.  "I like you," she said handing my comm's device back.   Just then a bell chimed loudly and a red color flashed in the sky.
"What was that?"
"The other team has one less player, we are blue."
"Someone already got one of them?"
"Yes or they could have taken themselves out because they were injured."
The leader held up his fist and we all stopped.  He motioned for Ivan to climb the tree.  He quickly shimmied up and then came back down.  "They're close, moving straight toward us."
I zipped my comm's device back in my pocket, flipped my masks over my face, and listened closely.  "Let's close them in.  I will go straight head.  You two go to the left and you two to the right," he said pointing to me and Venus.  "Keep your heads on a swivel, and one of each of you will need to keep them in line with you while the other moves around to the back.  I want to create a circle around them, and don't move unless you have a clean shot on one, no one needs to play the hero." He looked at Ivan for the last comment, even though I couldn't see his face, he shifted uncomfortably like he didn't like being told what to do.
Venus grabbed my arm and started pulling me quickly to the right. She let go and started moving through the woods with such a silent quickness that it looked as if she was floating on air, I couldn't even hear the twigs snap under her weight.  I was able to keep up but knew I was nowhere as quiet as she was.  She stopped and squatted to the ground and without missing a beat, I quickly followed suit.  She held up her finger, as we could hear the group up ahead.  She motioned for me to stay put, while she continued moving around them, I assume to take her position behind them. 
Another red and two blue lights flashed in the sky.  That meant four people were already out.  Now as long as I wasn't the next! 
I could hear someone coming up to my left, which the other team must have heard because they stopped moving.  I watched as they spread out, but still stayed pretty close to one another, their red masks looking from side to side.  I could see the one giving signals for them to try to come around the sides.  He sent two members off, one on each side, which meant straight to me.
My pulse started to quicken.  I couldn't get taken out...Not in the first five.  You've got this, I repeated over and over in my head.  It' d been awhile, but it would all come back... I hoped.  I stayed in my position and waited for them to move closer. 
They were moving slowly and quietly, and had no clue I was just inches from them.  I was about to jump when something happened on the other side of the path, that caught there attention, so I seized the moment and jumped out, sweeping the red team member on the ground.  I quickly mounted and we rolled around a couple of times, but then I wrapped my legs around them forcing them to submit. 
A red light flashed in the air and the red mask faded to clear.  I released my legs and the guy quickly stood up and ran off the course not saying a word when another red flash followed quickly by a blue flash.
One of the members of the red team broke off and started moving forward and I watched as Ivan moved into the group of red.  He grabbed one of the guys near the back and they began to fight but his mask went clear almost immediately and the sky flashed red.  The guy quickly ran off into the woods and now it was Ivan and the two other members on the red team.  I saw Venus come in from behind and take one of the other guys, as they were starting to approach Ivan. 
What do I do?  Do I go in and help?  I don't want to get in the way so I waited and then saw two more red masks quietly approaching behind Ivan and Venus, they must have been part of a different group.
"Behind you!" I shouted.
Venus ducked and quickly looked behind her and saw them coming up, but Ivan didn't turn he was laser focused on the one in front of him.  Two more blue lights flashed in the air.  I ran towards Ivan and Venus when one of the two creeping up saw me running towards them and leaped through the air landing behind me.  Great. 
I turned and squared off against them.  This guy was bigger, so he was going to need all of my attention.  What happened to our team lead?  I looked around and noticed it was just the three of us against four of the red team.  I waited for the guy in front of me to make a move, he lunged forward and I grabbed his arm pulling him towards me, catching him off balance and he tumbled to the ground.  He quickly got back up before I could stop him and reached out, grabbing my arm.  I spun out of his grip and kicked him in the gut at the same time.  He was bent over trying to catch his breath when I quickly glanced over at Venus, who was in trouble.  She was fighting two on one and Ivan was making no progress with his guy.  We were outnumbered and we needed to change it quickly, or we were all going to be toast. 
The guy Ivan was fighting had his back towards me, so I quickly ran and jumped on to his back, maneuvering, wrapping my legs around his neck.  His mask quickly faded to clear and red light flashed in the air.  Ivan looked pissed and then went to help Venus, which irritated me, if he couldn't see that was the best move for the team then he shouldn't be here.  My guy recovered and started making his way towards me, but my irritation at Ivan quickly grew and when my guy finally got to me I deflected his punch and thrust both my palms into his chest and then round house kicked him. He fell down and I quickly mounted him, but before I could do anything else his mask went clear and a red light flashed in the air, followed by three blue lights.  I looked behind me and Venus and Ivan were still fighting.  My pulse had slowed even though I was so charged... I had forgotten how good this felt.
I walked up behind the guy Venus had been fighting with and swept his legs out from under him.  Venus mounted him, they rolled around for a bit, but she was able to get him in a choke hold and he tapped out, causing a red light to flash in the air.  Now it was me, Ivan and Venus and when the other guy saw all three of us circled around him tapped out and ran off. 
We all moved together off the main path into the shrubs so we could catch our breath.  Ivan shimmied up the tree closest to us and then came back down a minute or two later. 
"It looks like most everything is happening opposite of us, the clearing in the middle of the field appears to be empty, so we can either run through the middle or run around.  Running around will obviously take longer but we will be less exposed."  Just then a series of red and blue lights flashed in the sky, I had lost count at this point. 
"Well that probably changes things."  Venus started counting.  "It's just us three and then four reds."
"Great." Ivan said.
"If they are smart they will meet up and stay together, if they aren't already.  They can wait us out to the end, knowing we won't take them on.  We need to try to take them out before they huddle up.  Can you climb the tree and see where they are?" I asked Ivan.
Ivan hesitated and then quickly climbed the tree and then came back down a second later.  "Let's go."
"Care to share?" Venus asked as we chased after him.
"There is one to the right of us," he was practically sprinting.  "He is close to the others, but he is behind them and I don't think they know he is there, so we have a small window to try to take him out before he meets up with the other three."
Our pace quickened as we were coming up on the back edge of the clearing.  We could see the one red team member ahead of us and fortunate for us he still hadn't caught up to the others.  We approached him quickly, not trying to be quiet, but then he began to run in the opposite direction of us and then stopped once he got in the clearing. 
He stopped...this was not good. I slowly looked around us, I didn't see them yet, but I knew they were there; the three other red members.  They were closing the circle around us, I could feel it.  Damn it!  How did we not see this coming?
"It's a trap."
"You think?" Ivan snapped back.
"What do we do Ivan?"
"How am I supposed to know?"
"You are highest rank." Venus said matter-of-factly.
Ivan looked around.
"We should huddle up and put our backs together, if we split up they will pick us off one by one."  I said when he didn't speak. 
Venus didn't wait for him to say anything but moved over by me and he followed a minute later.
"You are going to try to fight us? We out number you."  The one in the middle of the field yelled out.
"This is normal for us... we just took on four of your other guys... why don't you ask them how it turned out."  Ivan shouted back and then quickly turned towards us.  "Like last time, keep your head on a swivel, even while you are fighting.  If you see an opportunity to take out one do it, as they will only be focused on the one in front of them.  They are overconfident because they feel they have the advantage and that is why we are going to win."  Ivan said. 
We both nodded in agreement, just as the other three red team members started coming out of the woods into the clearing.  Just then other figures started moving out into view, but they were still a distance away from us and weren't wearing masks.
"The rest of the group watches at the end but they can't help at all." Venus said.
"Ah."
The red team was taking their positions around us, closing the gap one step at a time.  I felt like they were sizing us up, which meant I was probably going to get two.  If they could knock out the weakest one, that would leave four on two.  Should I try to look scared, because right now I wanted the fight... I needed the fight, I laughed at the thought. 
They were close now, circling us.  There was a smaller one I could try to go after, but there was another that looked like they were moving with a small limp, must have been injured early this evening... I could capitalize on that.
"This could go on forever, try to get them away from one another but keep an eye for each other."  Ivan said.  A second later he was gone, moving towards the guy in front of him.  It must have thrown the others off because they paused for a moment, so Venus moved towards the smaller one and I moved towards the injured one.
I quickly approached them, not hesitating to attack.  They deflected my punch and came back with one of their own, striking me in chest.  I looked around and saw the fourth red member had decided to go after Venus, while Ivan seemed to have his hands full.  If Ivan could get his guys back towards me I could try to get him to the ground and then come back.  If I did that to Venus' guy they would come after me and then I would be two on one.  I needed to take my guy out first.  Simple as that.
I moved forward and blocked their right hook and then their left.  I moved past them and quickly locked legs with them bringing them to the ground, but then I was knocked on the ground.  I quickly rolled over and saw that one of Venus's combatants was now team Araleigh.  Great, now it was two on one.  I kicked the one that knocked me down in the knee and then rolled to stand back up.  I moved so they were both in front of me and their backs to my teammates, but from the looks of it they were too involved in their fights to help me at all.  We had circled around so my back was closest to Venus's guy.  I took my chance and grabbed her guy from the back and turned him around so Venus was behind me and the other two guys I was fighting were in front of us.  He tapped out quickly and his face mask turned to clear and a red light flashed right above us in the sky.  Good, three on three now. 
The person with Ivan must have seen what happened because he backed out of the middle and away from me.  I moved back to my guy who hadn't moved from his original spot.  He was still limping a little and looked tired.  He went to kick me, but I deflected and kicked him in his head, he stumbled backwards, but didn't fall, but I could tell he was dazed, even with the mask to protect him.  I took the chance and moved over to finish him off, his mask turned clear and and red light flashed in the sky followed by a blue.  He popped up and looked at me.  Ty?   What was he doing here?  There was a motion out of the corner of my eye, when I tuned I saw Venus had been eliminated.  She gave me a quick nod before running off the field to join the others, sitting on the ground wrapping her arms around her knees.
We continued fighting and I was starting to get tired now, but I didn't want to give up.  I was so close to the end.  I didn't see any opportunity to help Ivan out and I doubted he was paying any attention to me.  It felt like another five minutes had passed and I could tell my guy was starting to get tired too.  Focus.  Tristan's words during training started to play on repeat in my head but I didn't need him there right now.
Another few minutes passed and I had my guy on the ground.  I was able to wrap my legs around him and get him to submit, followed by the red light that flashed in the air.  I unwrapped my legs and lay there for a moment longer than I should have catching my breath and hoping the burning feeling in my legs would go away.  Two blue to one red, at last this was almost over.  Ivan must have looked up to see me coming towards him and didn't see his guy moving to kick him.  He took the full brunt to the chest and lay on the ground, followed by a blue light in the sky.   His mask turned clear, but he continued laying there for another minute, I presumed to catch his breath.  Fortunately, the one he was fighting was tired and wasn't in a hurry to come after me and when Ivan didn't move to get off the field, a few people from the edge ran in and pulled him off. 
I looked at the red member and watched them.  I shook out my arms and my legs, trying to revitalize the muscles and got a second or a third burst of energy.  I made my way towards him and threw a punch which he blocked and returned one to me that I blocked. 
"Wait Araleigh."
I looked up and saw Cash's eyes smiling at me through the mask.  I was confused, what was he doing out here?  I was so exhausted that I didn't put two and two together when I saw Ty.
"This will be like old times."  I said, with a little more pep in my step.
"Indeed it will, but I won't let you win this time."
"Like you ever did before." I threw a soft punch, he blocked it.
"You are still rushing."
"You still talk too much."
He laughed.
I swung my leg to try to knock him on the ground.  He jumped over it and tried to kick me before I was able to stand back up.  I blocked the kick but fell on my back, inviting him down to play.
"Nice try, I know you feel safest on the ground."
I stood back up.  "Can't believe you didn't take that shot."
"I have bit on this."
"So do I."
"That didn't take long," he said.
  I smiled.
Even though we were playing for keeps, it was nice to be sparing with Cash again, it was like the old days.  I moved to strike him again and he jumped through the air and landed behind me.  "We aren't on Earth anymore." He laughed.
"I can see that."  I paused to throw a punch.  "If you have to resort to air theatrics to beat me, then by all means."  I couldn't help but smile, even though he couldn't see it.
"I can tell Tristan has been working with you."
"Some."
"I can tell that too." He laughed.
He lunged forward catching me off guard and we fell to the ground.  He had me pinned, but I fought hard to reverse and pin him.  He was able to break free and stand back up. 
"I see you have gotten better at your ground work." I said mockingly.
"Maybe I've been working on it.  I had to do something when you were playing house with that lunatic."
"Playing house?  Not hardly." The words made my blood boil.  I went after him with a punch and then a roundhouse kick.  He was able to deflect the punch but not the kick.
"Did I say something to upset you?" His words were less playful now.  He stopped moving.  "You left us, you worried us." 
"Didn't know you cared so much." I moved forward to punch him, but he caught my arm and held it.
"Don't be stupid.  You know how important you were to me and that was before I knew you were my sister."
I tried to pull my arm from his grip.  "I know."  I said reluctantly.  "It was the only thing I could think to do, I had to protect the people I care about."
"You don't think things through Araleigh, it's what's going to get you in serious trouble one day.  You think you have to go things alone, but you don't.  You never have, but especially not anymore."  He let my arm go and surrendered, his mask went clear.  "I love you Araleigh.  Just don't be stupid anymore."
Mars came running over.  "Blue team way to go!" He held up his hand to give me a high five, while everyone else was running over behind him, some excited and others looked very upset with Cash.
He recognized this too and started defending himself, "What can I say she is a fierce opponent, probably all of my excellent training." Cash said.  It was amazing how fast he could change his emotions from serious to fun loving.
I was still an emotional wreck, though I blame some of it on the exhaustion.
I took my mask off and handed it to Mars. 
He handed me a bottle of some kind of liquid.  "Here drink this.  It will help rehydrate and energize you, because you only have a couple of minutes of rest before we start the air combat training."
"Thanks."  I took the bottle and stepped out of the group.  I looked over at Cash and he was laughing and trying to persuade the red team he had no more fight in him and how I was a better opponent than he was.  Even though I didn't get the chance to tell him, I loved him too.  He's always been like a brother to me far before I found out he was.
Ivan walked up.  "Hey Araleigh."
"Hey Ivan."
"You did a really good job out here tonight, you really impressed me."  He looked a lot different than I would have expected.  His hair was red and cut short and he had a tattoo covering the area around his left eye.
Someone came up and playfully grabbed my shoulders.  "That was hard for him to admit."
I turned and saw Venus, standing behind me.
"Shut it V."
V?  Venus smiled and moved around me and gave Ivan a kiss.  "Good job out there tonight."
"I lasted longer than you."
"But not by long, let's see who will last longer tonight." She laughed, rubbing her hand on his chest.
Someone from the group behind them yelled for Ivan.  He grabbed Venus's hands and gave them a quick kiss.
"Well that wasn't expected." I said.
"Yea, a lot of people say that.  He really is sweet, it just takes a while for him to warm up to people, although you seemed to pass his test tonight."
I shrugged. 
"You did good tonight...A lot better than most were thinking."
"I just got lucky."
"Maybe a little bit, but overall you fought very well.  Where did you learn to fight?"
"Cash taught me on Earth.  We led a small resistance group and helped get food and water to people in need.  The Authority wanted to keep it for themselves and ration out the rest, keeping people dependent on them, so we fought back."
"That's awesome."
"Yea, although I have since learned the Authority is actually run and controlled by Damian."
"Yea, he's not a good guy, probably the worst, so hungry for power and he will do anything to get it, even kill his family."
"What are you talking about?  I thought the Arbotoo were responsible."
"That is his story, but the story I heard was he was so power hungry, when the Arbotoo landed to take over Arcadia, he tried to get in with the ruler of the Arbotoo.  He offered to turn against Arcadia for a seat at his table, but the Arbotoo ruler didn't believe him, so Damian killed his family in front of him to prove he had no alliance to Arcadia or anyone else, but that still wasn't enough for the ruler.  He had also heard of a special ore that had recently been discovered on Arcadia and he wanted it."
"He wanted an ore?"
"Yes, when King Lormaine heard that the Arbotoo ships were on their way, he quickly went to action, forming an alliance with what we now call the five families.  In exchange for parts of their planets energy, we would grant them access to our ore to create extremely durable weapons and shields for their defenses," she added, "I will have to show you my body armor sometime!  But back to my story," she waved her hand impatiently in the air and smiled, "the ruler wanted the ore and Damian knew where it was found, so he offered to take he ruler of the Arbotoo there, however, before they made it to the island, where the ore was, our forces were starting to push back and make some significant progress.  The ruler thought Damian had distracted him and fearing defeat, he left Arcadia and Damian too.  When the dust settled, Damian realized he now had nothing, no family and no alliance with the Arbotoo and lost it.  King Lormaine found him mourning and felt sorry for him, obviously not knowing that he had done it to himself and being a good and kind King and close with Damian's father, he offered him a position on his staff.  With all of the apparent rage for the Arbotoo, the King utilized him on the combat defense team.  Still hungry for power, he worked very hard and before long he was standing alongside the King and Queen as their right hand man.  Sometime later, the King became very ill and died and the Queen, in mourning, leaned on Damian for his advice and console.  He of course loved the attention he was getting from the Queen in addition to feeling like he had power, however, it all started to fall apart when you fell through the portal.  The Queen started acting differently, more independent, and Damian of course did not like that and later decided to split from the royal house and join the Nevi and with his ties to the royals, as well as his ruthless ambition, he climbed the ladder very quickly and you pretty much know the rest." She looked up from speaking, "Oh Mars is waving us over."
How does she relay that entire tragic story and then just bounce out of it?  My head was still reeling from everything that had happened and the fact that I had stayed in his house.  No wonder everyone was so scared for my safety... "Do you think he is going to try something again?"
"Of course I do," she said matter-of-factly.  "That kind of hunger for power doesn't go away, he will figure something out."
"Do you think he will hurt the Queen?"
She shook her head.  "He would need her... the only way he can rule Arcadia is through royal blood, he would have to union with the royal family and the Queen isn't that stupid... but that still begs the question."
"Why does it have to be blood?"
"That is the way the first rulers created it.  The new ruler must go to the island on the Kimotabi lake and complete the ascension ceremony... I don't really know what is involved, but I know the blood of the new ruler plays a part."
I nodded because I didn't know what else to say, this was all so much.
"Did you girls have a lovely chat?" Mars asked jokingly as we walked up.  "Araleigh are you ok?  You look very pale, paler than any human should look."
Cash came over and wrapped his arm around me just as my knees buckled. 
"I'm fine."
"The hell you are." Cash said, guiding me to the ground.
"What did you say to her?" Mars asked Venus. 
She shrugged her arms and shook her head. "Nothing really, just filling her in on Arcadian history."
I interjected before anything else could be said.  "I am fine... really.  I think I just need some more of that amazing rehydrating juice you are always talking about," I said smiling, trying to make a joke.  "I think I just overexerted myself."
"I would say! Kicking Cash's ass," they laughed, "Maybe he will give you a position on his royal staff when he is King," one of the boys jeered. 
I couldn't see who made the comment but fortunately Cash just laughed and waved them off and then looked back to me.  "Are you ok, really?" He said quietly.
I nodded and took a big gulp of the drink Mars had just handed me.  "I am feeling a lot better now."
"I don't believe you," he said helping me back to my feet.  "But I will let it go for now."
I mouthed thank you. 
I walked over to Mars who had already started talking about the training.  He paused a second to watch me and Cash walk up but then continued.  "Like I said, we will be selecting a few of you to go on a mission, and you won't know what talents we are looking for so don't try to show off and embarrass me," he laughed.  "Now partner off." He looked at Cash.  "I will work with Araleigh and you can work with my sister, just don't let her hurt you too much." He smiled.
Cash gave my arm a gentle squeeze and then walked over to Venus, who threw a few air punches his way and they both laughed.
"Don't worry you have nothing to fear."
"What are you talking about?"
"Cash and Venus...She is with Ivan," he added for more unnecessary clarification, "Cash and Venus are like brother and sister."
"Oh... God no." 
"I see the way you two look at each other."
"No!  I love him like a brother."  Because he is, but I can't tell anyone that, at least not yet anyways.  "We grew close when he was on Earth, although he tried a couple of times, but I had to put him in his place."  Thankfully!  Maybe I knew deep down?
"That must have been hard to do."
"Not really, he just isn't my type."
"Tristan."
"What?" I was shocked he called out Tristan, he had never seen us together.  How would he have any idea?
"Tristan." He said pointing this time.  "He is coming up behind you."
I don't know if I should feel anymore relieved. 
I slowly turned around.
"Araleigh." Tristan said emotionless.
"Tristan." I tried to return the same tone.
"You shouldn't be out here."
"Mars said he would teach me some air combat."
He stared disapprovingly at me, I guess he forgot the conversation we had in the pod about my helping on his mission to free the people in Damian's compound.
"Hey guys." Mars interjected and waved his hand.  "Tristan, I've already asked them to pair off and start practicing and told them you would be by later tonight to watch them.  I told them you would be making selections for a special mission but did not give them anymore details."
That must have been the part we missed before walking up. Would have been nice to know.
Tristan was still looking at me with his piercing blue eyes and his face taut.  "A word Araleigh."  He said grabbing my arm and gently guiding me away. 
I turned to see Mars watching us confused. 
"What are you doing?"  I asked.
"I could ask you the same question." Tristan said, his voice softer now.
"I have wanted to learn how to fly through he air, ever since my first day at the compound.  Do you know how many people wish they could do that on Earth and here you can?"  I realized how silly I sounded as I was speaking but I didn't care.
He only allowed a fraction of a smile to cross his lips.
"I know it's silly to you, but not to me.  I just want to learn how to be the most effective fighter on Arcadia I can."
"Your role is not as fighter on Arcadia, but future ruler.  You should be learning all you can about Arcadia and how to rule, instead of fighting."
"I don't want to be Queen.  Can I not pass that to Cash?"
"No, Cash only rules if you are dead and as reckless as you are, you may have your wish sooner rather than later, only you won't be around to see it."
"Maybe that would be better."
"Don't say things like that."
"Why? Because you care?" I said mockingly.
"You know I do." His face softened.
"I don't know that... I know you give me emotional whiplash.  I know you kissed me once and haven't talked to me since.  I know that every time you look at me you have every look but happiness to see me."
"Usually because you are doing stupid things."
"In your opinion," I paused, "Look, I don't need you to look after me.  I have been on my own most of my life and I have gotten along just fine."
"Araleigh, you were never alone." His words seemed to hold a deeper meaning, one which I didn't understand.
"I am tired physically and tired of always arguing with you.  Give me this tonight and I will try to do things you find more agreeable.  People here don't know anything about my past or future, they just know me how I am right now... no expectations.  Can I just have this tonight?"
He looked at me and gently brushed the hair away from my face and let his finger stroke my cheek on its way back to his side.  "Yes, you can have this tonight, just try to be careful and only work with Mars or Cash."
"I will."  I didn't wait for Tristan to change his mind, but turned and walked over to Mars who was talking to Cash.
"All good?" Mars asked when I walked up.
"Yep!  Let's get started."
Mars looked over my shoulder at Tristan and smiled "Ok, let's!"
"So how do we do this?"  I said.
"It's easier than you think...as long as you can get out of your head."
I laughed.  If I could get out of my head I would be thankful.
He laughed, though it was obvious he was confused why I found his comment so funny.
"It helps at first if you have a running leap and then you are going to use that forward momentum to help propel you off the ground."
"Right, sounds easy enough." I said sarcastically.
"Yes!"
He didn't catch the sarcasm.
I backed away from him.
"Ok go." He sounded rather hopeful. 
I ran and tried to leap when I got to him but didn't really go anywhere. 
"You are still in your head... you have spent most of your life thinking you can't fly, so your brain won't let you.  Clear your mind and just believe."  He sounded like he was giving me a line from a kids fairytale.
"Ok." I nodded and started running again, I took another leap but didn't really go much higher.
"Clear your mind."
"Easier said than done."  Especially when one recently learns they are the future Queen of a planet they just found out wasn't all in their head... If only I could get out of my head.  "Don't you have some magic drink that can help?"
He laughed.  "I am afraid not for this one."
"How is it going over here?" Tristan said walking up, his hands clasped behind his back.
"She can't get out of her head."
"That was always my problem too." Tristan said, sounding almost conversational.
"How did you get over it?" I asked.
"I didn't, just find something else that drives you, that sets you free."  He looked at Mars.  "Let's trade off for a little bit, I want you to walk around and observe your team and then let me know who you think are the best, so we can discuss."
"You got it!" Mars said sprinting off.
"He's good, you will want to lean on him when you're Queen."
"I don't want to talk about this now, plus it's not like this is going to happen soon and secondly why won't you be there for me?"
"I may not always be around and you should be prepared to fulfill your role any day.  It may not happen for years, but one never knows.  It's always better to be too prepared than not prepared at all."
"Well, all this talk isn't helping me clear my head."
"Just trying to help you get prepared."  He clasped his hands together.  "Try something else... Imagine the floor as a springboard and right before you leap, dig your feet into the ground and let it spring you into the air."
I nodded and walked back over to where I had been starting from.  I watched the others leap effortlessly into the air and stay there for a short amount of time and throw a few punches and kicks.
"Don't worry about them, you will get there."
This is not the Tristan I had expected tonight.
You can do this Araleigh... Springboard.... The ground is your springboard.  Run and then jump. 
I did a quick jog in place to pump myself up and then took off.  The ground is your springboard, the ground is your springboard, the ground is your.  I leapt and then fell flat on my face.  The ground was not my springboard, rather my platform to embarrass myself in front of Tristan.  I looked up at him and saw he was smiling as he was walked over to extend his hand and help me up.
"Close."
"Close? Are you serious?"
"It takes practice.  You hesitated before you leapt, your feet were unsure and that is why you stumbled and fell.  Walk back and try again.  Think springboard!"
I walked back and dusted my pants off and rubbed the sting out of my hands.  Springboard.  Springboard.  I ran and leapt!
Holy cow!  I did it, I actually did it.  I'm flying!  I looked down and saw Tristan smiling.
I landed a few feet away from him.
"Good job Araleigh." No emotion.
"Araleigh!" A voice yelled out. 
I turned and saw Mars running over to me.  "Awesome job! That was higher than I got my first time."  He put his hand on my back and turned to Tristan.  "You should think about leaving your fancy job and come back to teaching, you always did have a knack for it."
Tristan forced a laugh, but his gaze was affixed to Mars' hand on my back. 
The thought of his being upset over that gave me butterflies in my stomach and made me happy.
Tristan looked at Mars, "Have you made your assessments?"
"Yea, I'm ready whenever you are."
"Let's go now."
I turned to give Mars a hug before he left.  "Thanks for tonight, I really needed it."
"You are welcome anytime."
I looked over at Tristan.  "Bye Tristan."
He nodded and quickly turned away.  He was so infuriatingly hard to read, it was like watching a battle go on inside someone's head. 
Tristan whistled and Cash looked up and then got punched in the face by Venus.
Tristan held up two fingers and flipped them in my direction and Cash nodded while rubbing his cheek.  Venus threw her arm around him and was both laughing and apologizing at the same time.  He said something to her and they both walked over to me.
"Looks like you are joining us Ara." Cash said walking up to us.
"Finally, someone who will be a challenge." Venus laughed.
"That was an easy shot, no thanks to Tristan." Cash was still rubbing his face but laughing.  "Good thing my ego doesn't bruise as easy as my face."
"We have come a long way." I joked.
"I saw you just a minute ago, crazy good height for your first time." Cash said.
"Thanks, I want to keep practicing, it was such an amazing feeling." I said smiling.
"Just wait until you learn different maneuvers." Venus said.
"Like what?" My interest obviously piqued.
"Let's save those for another night, I don't want to her to overdo it." Cash said.
Venus shrugged.
"Go ahead and keep practicing, I am going to take a break and watch from here." He said sitting on the ground. 
"Come on." Venus said.  I followed her back to my starting spot.  "Once you get the hang of getting off the ground, we will work on shortening your distance so you won't have to run," she said jumping straight up into the air and landing gracefully back on the ground, "and then we will work on landing where you want instead of where your body takes you."
"Ok."  I still couldn't get over how she just leapt straight up into the air and landed without a sound.
She laughed. "We won't do it all tonight, we have plenty of time now you are back with us!"
Do I have plenty of time? I couldn't help but feel this was all temporary.
"Ready?" She asked.  I moved back to my position and ran, leaping into the air.