Chapter 19

We landed on the roof and the door opened.  "Good day again." The man smiled.  "Third floor."
"Thank you." I said walking past him. 
Cash punched the button for the elevator and we stepped in, moments later we were walking into Lupita's studio.
"Perfect timing," she said running over to us giving us each a kiss on the cheek before running off again.
I stood there shocked for a moment. 
"Come, come dearies." She said waving us over.  "Where is that handsome man?"
"I'm right here Lupita." Cash said spinning in a circle.
"Not you!" She said waving her hand dismissing him at once.
I laughed.  "He's not used to that."
"Yes, I know.  That is why I enjoy it so much." She said laughing.
"Franz is with our other friends getting ready for tonight."  I looked around.  "You should come."
"Oh no.  I can't do that."
"Why not?" 
"I have too much to do here."
"Franz will be there."
She thought about it for a second, "Well then I'll see, but no promises," she pointed her finger at me.
I nodded and smiled.
"Here you are, beautiful." She said handing me my dress and shoes.  "And for you, Cash." She said handing him a matching suit.
Cash held it up and examined it.  "I did miss you when I was on Earth.  Amazing job as always."
We made our way back to the pod.  "Now where to?"
"Home.  Mother has been preparing dinner for us all day.  She even asked to do it all herself, so who knows how it will turn out." Cash said making a funny face.
"Why?"
"She hasn't cooked a meal herself in years, but this was an important night and she really wanted to do it for you."
"Oh."  I didn't know how I felt.  Happy?
"Don't worry I have ordered all your favorites and have them waiting in the wings in case dinner is a flop."
"You have really gone all out today."
"I wanted to do something special for you, make today be as great as it could be." He shrugged.
"Are you getting emotional Cassius?" I teased.
"Stop it." He said punching me lightly in the arm.  "I know it isn't perfect since Tristan isn't here." He smirked.
"Stop it." I said punching him in the arm, significantly harder than he punched me.
"Ow.  Easy tiger. I was just teasing." He said rubbing his arm.
"I know.  So was I," I smirked.
"What happened the other night?"
"What do you mean?"
"Something happened. Something changed between you two."
"I don't really remember."
"When Tristan brought you in, he was worried, terrified," he added, "for you.  I have never seen the passion in his eyes like I saw that night.  I mean I always thought he had a thing for you, for years, but a couple nights ago was something else."
"Years?"
"Yea, I would catch him watching you on the seer.  It all started the day you followed him through the portal."
Those piercing blue eyes staring at me.
"Oh."
"Every time I caught him he would make up some story."
"Really?"
He nodded, "It's actually how we found out you were in trouble and he tried to convince the Queen to let him go and protect you.  She sent me instead because I'd been getting in trouble here and I think in part it was because she thought we would have some sort of connection, being your brother and all.  Those first couple weeks were unbearable.  He would call and ask about you, one time he visited but then saw you walking up and vanished.
"Really?" I was having a hard time believing this.  "Why was he so rude to me when I got here then?"
"Because he didn't want you here.  Something about a vision he had, or someone had, I don't know.  It was you and him together and there was an attack and you died."
"What?" That was shocking.
"Yes.  That is why he doesn't like to be around you.  I guess he figures if he is never around you then the vision can't come true?  If that story even exists."
"I believe it does.  I have them.  I had one the night he came to get me."
"Yea he was saying something about that."
"He was? Can you tell me what he said?  I don't remember mine, but I know there was something big."
"He didn't really say, just that he had to go check on something."
I had to remember, I thought, frustrated.
We landed in-front of the Queen's house and were greeted at the door, this time not by Tristan.  I guess a small piece of me had hoped he would be here.  There was a tightness in my stomach.  The kiss. 
We kissed.  I remember that.  We kissed on the grass by the pond.  Did I remember that or was that a dream? I remember falling asleep again in his arms. 
Did that really happen?
Would he open himself up like that to me?  Could it be real?
"The Queen will meet you in her seating chambers momentarily.  She is getting prepared for this evening's dinner."
"Thank you, Chauncey." He turned to me.  "Let's go get ready."
"I don't know where to go."
"Right. Follow me.  I will take you to your room."
"My room?"
"Mother had it decorated when she found out you arrived in case you wanted to stay."
"Really?  Why has she never mentioned it."
"She didn't know how.  She wanted to wait until you were less angry."
I didn't really know what to say to that.
We took the stairs up one flight and then jumped in the elevator.  It began moving sideways down the hall through another corridor and then started to climb.
"How big is this place?"
"Quite large."
"Why so big?"
"I don't know really.  Most of these rooms we have passed aren't ever used.  Perhaps it is for out of town guests."
Hmm.
"Here we are."
We stepped off the elevator.
"This is the residence hall."
"This is my room," he said pointing to the left.  "Yours is there to the right. And that is Tristan's across from you and mom's is at the end of the hall down there." He pointed down the long hallway."
"Oh."
"Do you want me to go knock on Tristan's door?  I know you want to find out if he is back from his super secret mission."
"No." I said walking to my room, regretting those two letters every step of the way.  Maybe if he was here, he would hear us talking and come out.  How pathetic.
I walked into my room.  It was beautiful.  The bed sat in the middle of the room with a bench behind the large headboard that faced a mirror on the back of the wall.  The far wall across the room had oversized windows, perfect for viewing the gardens below, it was huge, like a small forest, expanding as far as I could see.  The flooring was soft, the softest thing I had ever felt.  It was like I was walking on clouds.  I sat on the bench that was down the wall just a bit from where I was standing. 
It was all so beautiful, I could see the purple planet off in the distance.  It was close, but still not as close as it had been that night in the field. I looked at the beautiful colors in the garden, and all the beautiful trees. 
Trees. 
Trees.
Zippee.
Who is Zippee?
Think.  Zippee.  Trees.
This was so frustrating.  I wanted so bad to remember and it was right there.  Just out of reach.
The trees. There was something about the trees in the garden.
Zippee. 
Quafer! The Quafer! Zippee!  Tristan and I were staying with the Quafer.  There was a noise.  We were moving fast.  Fast through the trees sliding down, swinging. 
Zippee! The furry little flying creature.  We were riding him somewhere?
A meeting.
Arbotoo.
She was there.  Walking.
Oh no!
I remembered.
Cecile was alive.  That must be where Tristan went. To find her.
Did he go to Arbotoo?
Is that safe?
I had to go tell Cash.  I ran over to the door throwing it open and ran into Cash. 
"What is going on?  Are you ok?'
"Yes.  No." I was shaking my head.  I grabbed his hand and pulled him into my room and shut the door.
"What's going on?  You are acting like you've seen a ghost."
"I have.  Well I haven't.  Not really.  I think Tristan is in trouble.  I think he went to Arbotoo."
"Stop."  He grabbed my hands and pulled me over to the bed. "You need to sit down.  Calm down and tell me what is going on."
"I remembered the night in the field."
"Ok." Cash said skeptically.
"Tell me this."
"Ok."
"Have you visited the Quafers?"
"Yes, once. It's been some time."
"Do they live in a sort of tree like place?  With ropes and large leaf slides?"  I sounded crazy as I was hearing the words come out of my mouth.
Cash was looking at me like I was crazy, not saying anything.
"I know it sounds crazy, it must have just been a dream then."
"No, it is not a dream.  That is real.  I am just trying to figure out how you know that."
"I dreamed it.  That night in the field with Tristan."
"Are you sure he didn't tell you about it."
"I am sure.  I dreamed it.  Tristan was there with me.  We were meeting the Arbotoo to negotiate a deal for peace."
"That isn't something you would be tasked with doing."
"Why not?"
"The Queen would do that."
"I don't know.  All I know is Tristan and I were there and the Quafers started flying around on these fuzzy little flying creatures.  Tristan and I rode one named Zippee."
"Zippee?" 
I couldn't tell if he was doubting me or not, but I continued.  "And she was there.  Cecile.  Damian's sister.  She was there on behalf of the Arbotoo to make a deal. She said she had you.  I think you were in danger."
"Well as you can see I am fine."
"It was in the future."
"When?"
"I don't know.  I just see things."
"So this isn't the first time?"
"No.  The first time was soon after we arrived.  The night the house was attacked and Tristan was there and I was running through the woods.  I had just dreamt about it right before it happened.  Anyways, I must have said something to Tristan about it and he has gone to see if it is true."
"So that is why you think he went to Arbotoo?"
"Yes."
He grabbed my hand.
Great he thought I was crazy.
"I normally wouldn't believe you, but for some reason I do."
"You do?" I was a little shocked, knowing how crazy it sounded.
"It's Zippee.  I went to visit the Quafer's once, on my own and I rode in on Zippee.  No one ever knew I went and I know we never talked about it." He let go of my hands and stood up.  "While I have heard of people having these abilities, I have never actually met anyone.  I know you wouldn't lie to me and Tristan seems to believe you, so much so he has decided to go to Arbotoo."
"So we have to go get him."
"Absolutely not.  We need to trust Tristan."
Trust Tristan.
"He will be ok if we do not interfere.  We have some allies over there.  I am sure he took all necessary precautions."
I let out a deep sigh.
"Trust me. Tristan will be ok.  Tonight we need to have fun and not worry about him ok.  He is the most capable person I know." He turned to look at me. "And if you ever tell him I said that, I will deny it." He smiled. "Now get ready! The evening awaits."
I hadn't even noticed he was in his suit.  "You look very nice."
"Yes I know." He said playfully popping his collar.
"Get out so I can get dressed."
He held up his hands. "Fine.  I will meet you by the elevator."
"Ok."  I closed the door behind him and quickly changed into my dress.  It was absolutely beautiful, simple, and elegant.  I did a small little twirl in the mirror and it had just the right amount of spin.  I slipped on my shoes and walked over to the mirror and put my hair in a ponytail.  I looked at it in the mirror but it seemed too casual for this dress.  I rummaged around the drawers and found a few clips.  I took smaller chunks of hair and twisted and clipped them to into the ponytail.  I checked my work when I was done and headed out the door.
"What took so long?" He asked sliding his comm's device in his pocket.
"I had to get as beautiful as you are." I laughed.
"Understandable." He bent his elbow and held it out for me to grab.  "Shall we?"
We stepped onto the elevator and moments later we were stepping off onto the main floor.  The Queen was waiting for us at the bottom of the stairs wearing a beautiful light blue dress.
"Sorry we took so long, Araleigh was primping."
"Cash," she said in a playfully scolding tone, "That is what girls must do." She smiled as us both.  "You look handsome Cash and you, Araleigh, are simply beautiful."
"Thank you," I smiled. "You look lovely as well."
She smiled and nodded her head just a bit. 
She turned and began to walk towards the sitting room.  "Did Cash tell you I've been preparing this dinner all day."
"Yes he did and,"-
Cash interrupted, "and I told her it was going to be fantastic."
"And I can't wait to eat." I smiled looking at Cash.
The Queen laughed.  "I thought we would have some Katchi, before dinner."
"Sounds delightful mother." Cash said.
We all took our seats just as Chauncey came in to pour us a cup.
"Do you have big plans for tonight?" the Queen asked sipping her tea.
"I have no idea.  Cash has kept the whole day a surprise."
"But you have enjoyed yourself?" She asked.
"It has been absolutely amazing."  I recapped the events of the whole day.
"Oh yes.  Lupita is fantastic and I enjoy watching the races.  Though it looks so dangerous at those fast speeds."
"You should've seen Araleigh.  She was like a pro.  The owner even invited her to race for his team."
"Oh wow, you must be good."
I shrugged my shoulders.
A light bell rang.
"It's time for dinner."  The Queen stood and we followed.
We moved through the sitting room to the dining hall.  Mr. Chauncey opened the doors and we walked in.
"Surprise!" Everyone shouted.
Franz, Ty, Venus, Ivan, and Mars were standing around the table with a drink in hand.  They all looked so happy and well dressed.  They must have hurried home to change to get here in time.
"I also invited a few others, I hope you don't mind." The Queen smiled, grabbing my hand, giving it a small squeeze.
"Thank you." I smiled and gently squeezed her hand back.
"Let's take our seats." She turned towards me.  "I thought you could sit beside me tonight?"
"I would like that."  I smiled and followed her to our seats.  Her seat was always the same.  Across the room facing the door.  I was sitting in the seat Tristan usually sits in.  I guess this meant he wasn't back yet.  I will not let him worry me tonight.  I was going to have a good night.
Soon after sitting, dinner was served. Starting with a few appetizers, a salad, a pumpkin soup, followed by one of my other favorites, salmon.
"This is all very delicious!" I said, after swallowing the last bite of food.
"Thank you!" The Queen said.
"This is very good.  We must go to Earth sometime and eat more foods like these." Franz said.
I laughed at just the thought of Franz on Earth.  He would most certainly be a fish out of water.
We all ate our food and talked and laughed, it was a great evening.  Some time had passed and Cash put his napkin on the table and stood up.  "Dessert will be our next and final stop of the day." He smiled.
"Are you coming?" I looked over to my mother and asked.
She grabbed my hand, "Not tonight.  This is for you young ones."
"Where are we going?"
"I was sworn to secrecy." She playfully put her finger over her lips and smiled.  "But I think you will have a fantastic time."
Tonight, scratch that, today had been amazing.  Cash and my mom really out did themselves making this a day to remember. 
I stood up. "Let's go then!" I smiled. 
My mom stood up, "Araleigh, real quick."
I turned to look at her.
"I hope you don't mind but I had Mars bring your Mr.Thomas here tomorrow when they get in.  I thought it may be more secure and give him a place to relax?"
I hesitated for a moment, "Yes, that is wonderful.  Thank you for thinking of us."
I turned to catch up with the rest of the crowd.
It was getting darker out and the sky was dancing its familiar purple and green dance.
"Finally." Cash said.
"Mom, has invited Charlie to stay here tomorrow."
"Really?"
"Yea, I thought that was nice."
He smiled and waited a moment before he continued.  "Right, tonight is about having fun, no worrying about Tristan or Charlie, they will both be here soon!"
"Your chariot awaits."  He stepped out of the way to reveal a much longer pod, one that could hold all of us.
We all took our seats and Cash put in the coordinates.  "Up, up and away."
We were zooming through the sky.  I noticed we were heading into center city and became mesmerized by the glow of the night sky reflecting on the buildings. 
"Are we going there?" I pointed to one of the tallest buildings.
"Yep."
"Haven't we been there before?"
"Yep."
"Is it the dance club?"
"Yep." He smiled, "This time without the Nevi there to break up the fun."
"Good."
We landed on the rooftop and entered through the door.  We took the elevator down and got off.  I could hear the music thumping already.  Rupus was standing at the door, same as last time, however, this time he smiled as soon as Cash walked up, opening the door for us.
"A round of kumunji!" Cash said as soon as we walked in the door.  The bartender put the glasses on the bar and everyone grabbed one and held them in the air. 
"To an unforgettable night." Venus said.
"To a night she can always hold with her." Cash added.
"Cheers." I said and tipped the glass up.  Still as good as I remember.
"Perfect." Cash said.  "We are up there tonight."
"The third floor?" Mars said with a hint of excitement.
"I've always wanted to see what's up there," Ivan said.
"Well tonight is your lucky night." Cash said making his way to the stair entrance.
Two fierce looking female creatures were standing at the base of the steps.  They were dressed in all black and had their neon blue hair pulled into a high pony tail.  They had a variety of chains around their necks and wrists.  Cash walked up to them and showed his comm's device.  He pointed to all of us and must have told them something about me because he pointed directly at me.
They nodded and stood aside, letting all of pass and then blocked the stairs again.
When we got to the top of the stairs Cash was waiting for me.  "Don't ever try to mess with them."
"What are they?"
"Hepkanots."
"Like Yerdonna?"
"Yes.  That is Suvi and Lathi.  They have been here for about five years.  I tried to sneak past them once, to join a private party after my mom forbid it, and they laid me out in two seconds.  Very talented, very lethal."
"When did this happened?
"I would have to occasionally come back here and check in.  When I did, I would visit this place for a night, or at least I tried to."
I guess I wasn't with Cash every second of every day, so I guess it was possible for him to zip back and forth.  Crazy to think about, but possible.  I looked back at the women.  "Are they all like that?"
"Their species is a little more stealth and aggressive than other species, but most of Suvi and Lathi's abilities have come from training with Tristan."
"Tristan?"
Why did that bother me?  Was I jealous?  "Why are they here?"
"They are studying here."
"Interesting."
"Interesting?" He smirked.  "Interesting." He said putting it all together.
"Let's party!" I said changing the topic.  I looked around and noticed the upstairs had a bar in the middle of it and different types of games around the floor.  "Ooh, what is that one over there?"
"It is a virtually simulated fight box."
I just looked at him still confused.
"Come over and I will show you."
I followed him over and he gave me a headset and a pair of gloves.  "Put these on and you'll see what to do when the game starts."
"What are you going to do?"
"I am going to put mine on and join you.  We are going to fight."
"Are you sure you can handle me?" I laughed.
He laughed.  "I think so."  He pointed to a square outlined on the floor behind me.  "Go stand in that square.  When the game starts a border will come up to prevent you from moving around the floor too much, but as you step, it will step will move with you, allowing you to run or step side to side in place.  We can't have you taking out party goers."
"Got it."  I slipped out of my shoes and moved over to the square on the floor and put my headpiece on and then the gloves.  "I can't see anything."
"Move your hand up until you see a light on the screen then follow the commands."
I moved my hand around and saw the light appear on the screen.
There were multiple options listed, which I assume were different languages because I saw an English option displayed.  I selected it.
Select your fighter.
I picked a medium built blonde girl with glowing tattoos up and down her arms.
Select your location.
Location?  City scape, a planet, the beach looking picture.  I picked the city scape.
Starting in 5...4...3...2...FIGHT!
We were standing in the middle of the street.  There were a-rods and pods spread out sporadically and pieces of trash would blow by when then wind blew.  There were buildings all around us and the sounds of people moving around in the distance.  Cash's player dropped in.  He was a large man with a dark mohawk and piercings in both ears.
"How do I move?" I yelled to Cash, probably louder than I should have.
"Just walk or run.  The floor will sense your movement and direction and will adjust accordingly.  When you want to block a punch pull your arms up like you normally would and then punch like you would."
"Give me a free shot? I want to see if I understand."
"Very funny."
"You are no fun." I smiled and put my hands down by my side and moved closer to Cash's character but stopped a little away.  I threw a punch and fell short.  I didn't want to hit him this time, just wanted to see how the controls worked.
"A little test punch I see." He walked over closer to me and I punched.  His character blocked but made a grunt sound, returning a punch.  I blocked.  I felt the glove on my left arm vibrate a little.
"There are sensors all around you, so just move like you usually would and it will imitate the movement here, that includes rolling, jumping, crouching and so on."
I followed his directions and started moving around him.  He followed.  I put my arms down and ran over to him and jumped, striking down on him.  He was unable to block it and fell to the ground. 
"And you wonder why I didn't give you a free punch.  If you look in the upper right corner of the screen you will see your life bar and mine to the left.  You can only take so many hits before the game ends."
"That last one must of hurt you." I snickered.
He returned with a sweep and then a punch.  I jumped over the sweep but missed the punch.  Both of my gloves vibrated hard.  It was a strange feeling.  I got the hang of it and we exchanged punch after punch and block after block.  It ended when I moved in for a punch but he blocked and returned a left hook.  I was unprepared and took it in the face.  My headpiece vibrated and then went dark.  A second later a light appeared and said GAME OVER. 
I took off the gloves and removed my headpiece.
"How does your head feel?"
"Fine.  A little tingly.  That last hit really shook me."
"I know what you mean.  That first hit really got me.  I don't think I have ever felt the headpiece vibrate that much.  I thought you broke it." He said laughing.
I smiled.  "Loser buys you a drink?" I said.
"Sure."
We walked over to the bar and I ordered a drink for Cash and myself.  I took my comm's device out to pay for it but the bartender stopped me.
"Cash has already paid for the drinks for the whole night."
"Seriously?"
He shrugged and smiled.
"You could've told me that before.  I would have ordered something stronger."
"You don't know what else to order."
"True.  But I would have asked."
"Fair."  He looked over the rail.  "Want to go dance?"
"Sure."  I sat the empty glass back on the bar top and followed Cash to the stairs. "Come on." I yelled to Venus.  "We're going to dance."
She smiled and sat her drink down grabbing Ivan's hand, nearly pulling him off his seat.
"Lead the way!"
We made it to the bottom of the floor and there was a group of people dancing in a small circle, their arms moving like waves in the water and then jerking.  I could have watched them move all night.  It was amazing what their bodies could do. 
Cash pulled me to the middle of the floor and we started dancing.  The music was loud, but I would have expected it to be much louder for the way it was making my body feel.  It was like I could feel it flowing throughout my body.  We started moving and dancing, seconds later Venus and Ivan were behind us dancing.
Ivan stopped a creature, I felt bad not knowing where it was from, but her head was more rounded and had a soft blue hue to it with a small antenna looking thing in the center of her head.  Her eyes were four or five times the size of mine and she had little holes where our ears go.  She was carrying a tray of drinks when Ivan stopped her, flashed his wrist band and grabbed four drinks off the tray.
"I didn't get a wrist band."
"You don't need one."
"Why?"
"Don't worry about it, just have fun," he said handing me the drink Ivan just grabbed.
We drank and danced, danced and drank.  I felt happy, like overly happy, without a care in the world.  I turned and saw Mars, Ty and Franz coming down the steps.  It must have been Mars idea, because he was happy and started moving his body like the first group of dancers I saw.  I tried to imitate him, but I was not as smooth... but I didn't care.  Franz and Ty stayed near the edge of the floor to watch and talk back and forth.  They kept looking at me, smiling and waving.  I kept smiling and waving right back.  I stood beside Mars who was dancing but not as crazy now.  I kept watching him move and tried to follow, so he grabbed my arm and bent my wrist down and then popped my elbow up.  "Try it like this."
Venus grabbed another round of drinks and waved Ty and Franz over, who reluctantly came.  She gave us all a drink and said something.  I couldn't hear her but she was smiling so I smiled back and drank mine after she drank hers.  She put the glass back on the tray the lady was carrying and continued dancing.