Chapter 01 | Move-in Day

"Cash, hurry up and get in the car!"

This was a weekly routine for me. I knew that the moment my phone rang in the middle of the night, it meant that I had to go pick up my drunk cousin from yet another party. Needless to say, it frustrated me every single time.

"You're the best cousin, Aila, you know that?" Cash jests. His breath reeks of alcohol.

I nod my head slightly and start up the engine. "Yup, you tell me that every weekend."

"Well, I mean it, every weekend."

I roll my eyes at him and focus on the empty road. Of course, no one else would be driving this late at night.

A few weeks ago, I had moved into Cash's house just until the new school year started and it was time for me to move into the dorms.

My parents thought it would be a good idea if I moved in with Cash and got familiar with the state and made some new friends. But lately, all I do is stay in the house and pick up drunk Cash at random places.

"You know, it might be more convenient if you came to the parties with me," he slurs. "A lot of people there are going to ECU too."

To be honest, I haven't even tried to mingle with anybody since I've gotten to Eagle Creek. Cash offers me to go out with his party friends, but I always refuse. "I'm sure I'm capable of making friends, Cash."

The passenger seat squeaks loudly as he reclines and Cash closes his eyes slightly. "I'm just saying, the offer's always on the table."

I just kept nodding my head at what he was saying. I can't wait to finally move into my dorm tomorrow and not have to worry about this same damn routine I got myself into.

"Just one more day at the house. One more day," I whisper to myself.

"Exactly, one more day until the real fun begins," Cash murmurs. "Imagine all the parties, Aila."

I glance over my shoulder at Cash after he stops talking, to find him slowly dozing off into a slumber. My eyes look up at the sky and thank God for the silence I so rightfully deserve.

We get home at around 4:45 am and it takes me around 15 minutes to help Cash up to his room. Aunt Lisa and Uncle Scott are heavy sleepers and rarely wake up to all the noise we make every time we do this. I wonder if they know how wild their son is.

By the time I get to my bed, I welcome the comfort that the plush mattress gives me. I pray that I can fall back asleep and savor the time I have left until I have to wake up again.

---

The morning is rushed because Cash slept in, making us fall behind schedule. I don't mind since I made sure to pack everything last night. All I'm worried about is the commute from here to the university. Uncle Scott is currently shoving all my boxes into the small trunk of my car, trying to make everything fit while I sit on the front porch patiently waiting. I offered to help pack the car, but he kept taking the boxes from me every time I picked one up.

A few minutes later, Cash walks out of the house in sweatpants and an ECU shirt with a box in hand.

"I can see that your hangover isn't treating you well," I laugh as he passes me, putting the box into his car. He turns and gives me a dirty look, but still decides to sit next to me.

"I had one too many beers last night," he groans. By the way, he looks and sounds, it's obvious that he's hungover. He doesn't even try to hide that he is, it's almost like he embraces it.