Chapter 04 | First Day

My eyes blinked twice looking at the boy in front of me. He slouches back in his chair and laces a black pen through his fingers. I don't realize that I'm staring at him until Professor Jen's voice pulls me out of my daze and I turn back to focus on her.

"At the start of all my classes, I like to begin with positivity exercises," she announces. "By the next class, I suggest you have a journal on hand. You will be graded for participation points, not what you write in those journals. It's a good way to get your creative juices flowing and a positive way to start the day."

A person in the back of the class raises his hand and asks what we will write about. A few murmurs go around the class in agreement with him.

"Well," she starts, "the person you're sitting next to right now is who you're going to be writing about... and yourself of course."

My eyes start blinking rapidly again, but this time at Professor Jen.

"You'll be writing positive affirmations or nice thoughts. One about them and one about yourself. So, sit in the same spots you're sitting in today," she says. "I hope you chose your seats wisely."

I turn to the guy next to me and he has a smug look on his face. Positive thoughts, Aila. I think to myself. I mentally shake my head at the thought of writing positive affirmations about the same guy who stole my parking. How was I supposed to have nice thoughts about someone I've already had a bad encounter with?

"Get to know one another today, and in the next class, we'll start writing," Professor Jen smiles and heads back to her desk.

"I'm Ezra," he introduces as the corners of his mouth quirked up.

"Aila," I reply, offering a small smile. Maybe this won't be as bad as I thought it would be.

The class goes by quickly and before I know it, Professor Jen is practically kicking us out of the door. "Have a nice day, guys! Don't forget about the journals!"

I decide to grab lunch with Eden since my next class doesn't start until 1:30. I head over to the Cafe and sit in the same spot that we ate dinner last night.

"Eden, over here!" I call out when she walks in, looking like a lost puppy.

She smiles and struts her way over to me. "How have your classes been so far?" I ask.

"They're definitely different than high school," she chuckles and pushes back the blonde hair that fell in front of her face. "Have you made any friends yet?"

I shake my head 'no'. I met Ezra in my last class, but I wouldn't call him a friend. He barely talked when Professor Jen told us to get to know one another. I figured that he would be the talkative type, but he only mumbled a few words when I asked him questions about himself.

"You?"

She shakes her head and laughs at both of our answers. "Maybe we'll meet people at the party this Saturday," she reminds me. I mentally groan at the thought of staying with drunk college students for hours.

"Maybe," I agreed hesitantly.

The truth is, I've never been to a "crazy party" before. I have no specific reason as to why I despise them so much. The hatred mostly stems from the fact that I had to pick up Cash every weekend since I got here.

"Do you have any idea what you're going to wear?" she asks, scrolling through her phone. We were supposed to come here to eat lunch, but neither of us has gotten up to stand in the line yet.

I try to suppress my stomach growls as we continue our conversation. I should get up and eat something before my next class starts or I'll be starving; I can't miss lunch for two days in a row.

"I'm sure I can put something together with what I already have. Maybe jeans and a t-shirt or something."

Eden's face pales like she's just seen a ghost. "Aila, you are not wearing a t-shirt to a college party," she exclaims in disgust.

I'm not in the least bit offended by her words. I've never been to a party like this, therefore I don't know the appropriate attire. All I know is that I'm not agreeing to anything too tight to the point where I can't breathe.

"I didn't mean an actual t-shirt, but maybe a tank top or something," I suggest, although it comes out more of a question than a statement. "What are you wearing?"

Her lips turn into a playful smirk. I've only known Eden for a day, but I'm ninety-nine percent certain that she is one of those girls that wears tight clothing and has all her goods falling out of it.

"I have a few things in mind. You're welcome to borrow anything in my closet. What's mine is yours... except for boys, of course," she giggles.

"Of course," I go along with her somewhat funny comment. My stomach growls for the fourth time since we've been here. Eden and I finally decide to get our food and I couldn't be happier. I have got to make myself a schedule to follow, but I'm sure once I get fully settled, I'll be back on track.

Lunch didn't go by as quickly as I thought it would. Eden and I spent more time talking about the party this Saturday and how she hopes that we will fit right in. I have no doubt in my mind that she will blend right in with the rest of the college students. The real question is, would I fit in?

I step into the cool classroom and take a seat in front of the class. I know for a fact that if I don't sit in the front of American History, I will surely fall asleep. The professor hands out the syllabus and we go over it for what feels like years. A bunch of essay deadlines and test dates are posted on one of the many papers he handed us.

I yawn softly, hoping not to make any noise. Looks like my strategy of not getting tired by sitting in the front isn't working out to my advantage.

The day goes by agonizingly slow and I'm instantly regretting scheduling a history class at the end of the day. Once I get back to the dorms, I throw myself on my lumpy bed and close my eyes. The three months of summer break undoubtedly fried my brain.

"How was your day?" Eden asks, spinning around in her desk chair.

I groan and grab a pillow over my face. "That bad?" she asks, yet another question. I grunt in response to her. It's been another exhausting day for me and the last thing I want to do is hear another person talk; even if it is my sweet roommate.

Eden lets out a small huff of laughter and the room goes back to being silent. I decide to take a power nap to regain my energy. Who knew that college classes could be so draining? 

---

A/N: I hope you liked chapter four! What do you guys think of this assignment that Professor Jen has Ezra and Aila doing? :)