0| Friends Will Be Friends

A/N: I'm still alive... kind of? 

          Seattle's atmosphere exuded a blissful balance of temperate perfection, neither chilly nor scorching. Rather, it was a gentle blend of harmony. The sun's warmth, though veiled by the dark clouds above, was escorted by a refreshing cool breeze. Tender raindrops cascaded gracefully from the heavens, their soft descent akin to a tranquil symphony as they gently embraced the earth's surface. The rain's soothing melody provided an almost hypnotic effect, lulling away the stresses and worries of everyday life. 

          Perhaps even time stood still in those peaceful moments as the soft drops gently caressed Seattle.

          Scarlett was hardly surprised by the weather or the deserted airport just beyond the limits of the Emerald City. While some may have found it odd, she was accustomed to such conditions and found them to have a particularly calming effect. With her luggage in one hand, she strolled alongside the group of fellow travelers toward the arrival gate, a subtle smile gracing her lips even in the face of her fatigue from the flight. Even with her droopy and reddened eyes from jet-lag and fatigue, her gaze was filled with a sparkling longing. For Scarlett, the last two weeks apart from her friends had felt like an eternity, having grown so used to their constant company that even being apart for a few hours seemed like too long.

          Escaping Seattle for a while, Scarlett had traveled to Birmingham to visit her mother. Mrs. Howlett had marked her 50th birthday with a gathering that included her immediate family and a few close relatives. Scarlett was especially thrilled to spend time with her brother, whom she only saw once or twice a year. Thus, extending her trip in the UK for two weeks and adding to her time away from Seattle was a decision she had not regretted. 

          Although she had a great time in her hometown, she missed her friends dearly.

          As Scarlett rounded the corner, she was greeted by a bustling arrival hall filled with people. They were scattered throughout the space, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the travelers. Excitement filled the air as they craned their necks, their faces lighting up with joy at the sight of their loved ones approaching. Numerous individuals displayed warm signs, and Scarlett's eyes scanned various signs until they settled on a familiar face.

          In the center of the hall loomed a lanky figure, sporting dark curly hair and a lazy smile, holding a sizable piece of cardboard above his head. In messy handwriting, the words "Dipshit Midget" were scrawled upon the sign, which drew a hearty laugh from her as she hastened to meet him.

          "There she is" he cheesed at her as she approached. Scarlett wasted no time in dropping her bags behind her, eager to finally reunite with the man she had the privilege to call her best friend, her partner in crime.

          She brought her arms around his neck when close enough, her face illuminated by a cheeky smile, and her green eyes filled with absolute joy and happiness. "Hey Chrispy..." She mumbled into his chest as Chris hugged her tight. A kiss was planted upon the top of her head, the height difference making for a comical scene. Looking up at Chris with his playful gaze watching her intently, Scarlett couldn't help but savor the moment, grateful to see him after what seemed to be so long.

          "Welcome back, darling. How r yeh my luv? Suppose trip's been lovely, aye?" he chirped in a terrible British accent, inspecting her face for a moment. Scarlett rolled her eyes and pushed his hands away from her face; every time she'd return from England, Chris would welcome her with this fake accent thing. Typically, his antics didn't extend beyond the initial greeting, though there had been one occasion when he had maintained the act for the duration of the day, calling her names she hadn't even heard before.