The Nightmare Begins P2

The search had already begun as she made her way across the courtyard, the knights having rounded up the listed people like sheep. She passed a woman being thrown to the ground, struggling against three or four of the more brutish nobles; in any other situation, she would've stopped to help the peasant up, but she had a job to do. Without attracting too much attention, she fought through the chaos, slipping down an empty alleyway adjacent to the house she needed. There was a door leading off the thin street, but it was locked, maybe to ward off the searching knights.

"Ic ia tóspringe."

The bolt shifted, the door swinging open to reveal a darkened room. Somebody wanted to create the appearance that they weren't home. She shut the door soundlessly behind her, manoeuvring through the strung up blankets which divided the large space, her eyes slowly adjusting to the dimness. She heard steps come up behind her, but didn't have time to turn before a blunt knife was pressed against her back. Honestly, she was very impressed: not many people could sneak up on her so easily.

"Move and I kill you." A bold woman's voice threatened, pressing the dagger further into her tunic, dangerously close to her spine.

"Forridel?" she spoke clearly. The name seemed to stop the woman from drawing blood, giving the serving girl enough time to simultaneously take the knife out of the woman's hands and spin to face her attacker.

"Who are you?" The woman who Merlyn took to be Forridel questioned, her eyes narrowed, her arms folded in distrust. Merlyn dropped the dagger both to communicate that she meant no harm and so that, if they were interrupted, she could fight with something a little more damaging than a kitchen knife.

"There's no time to explain, we have to get out of here." When Forridel didn't move, she fought the urge to roll her eyes, choosing to sigh instead. "The King's men are coming for you."

At that moment, as if to punctuate her point, some knights began to rattle the locked door, their murmurings audible through the home's thin walls. Forridel nodded, tilting her head towards the back door. They exited quickly, peeking around the corner of the dwelling to see the knights barging through the lock and into the now empty hovel.

"How did you know they were coming for me?" The understandably rather confused woman demanded, still unable to trust the strange home invader. Before Merlyn could open her mouth, she saw Forridel's eyes widen, recognition flashing through her brown irises. "You're Prince Arthur's servant. I've heard of you. You've taken a great risk, thank you."

Merlyn smiled tightly, accepting the gratitude. "I'm sorry I couldn't help them all." her gaze rested on a poor man, his family held off as he was dragged to the castle, screaming for his wife. Children were crying on street corners, the atmosphere so different to the ordinarily cheerful attitude of those in the lower town. She saw the owner of the bookstall going much more peacefully with Sir Leon, the man who had sold her a magic book on her second day in the great city. Frankly, it was a wonder he had lasted so long without being caught.

"We'd better go." Forridel turned to leave, forcing her stare away from the horrors.

"No, wait." Merlyn grabbed the woman's sleeve, trying not to appear quite as desperate as she felt. "I need your help. I'm looking for a way to contact the druids."

Instantly, Forridel froze, using her blonde hair to shield her face. "I don't know anything about them." she answered without hesitation, no longer able to look Merlyn in the face.

"You don't need to lie to me."

"I'm not lying." Again, the answer was too fast for the servant to believe.