The Fires of Idirsholas P2

They arrived in Morgana's chambers, Gwen having collapsed on the ward's bed, the rest of the room appearing empty. Merlyn moved her friend slightly, making her a little more comfortable, before scouring the room once more, ensuring that she hadn't missed anything. There was nothing. Just as they turned to leave, the servant heard shuffling, the curtain shifting slightly. Motioning to Arthur, she quietly unsheathed her sword, peeling back the curtain only to find Morgana very much awake. The ward screamed as the servant grabbed her, breathing shakily. She tried to fight her way out of the grip, but Merlyn steadied her.

"It's me! It's me. Morgana." At the sound of her name, the brunette stopped struggling, her eyes wide with a mixture of relief and fear.

"What's happened?" Arthur demanded, staring intently at the only other person who appeared awake in the whole of Camelot, with the exception of his servant, of course.

"I didn't know it was you." Morgana gasped, focused on Merlyn. Her voice was shaky, trembling as she glanced at the Prince.

"Calm down, Morgana, just tell us what happened." Arthur commanded, apparently not particularly worried for the ward's condition. But it seemed to do the trick, Morgana relaxed, and Merlyn let go, letting her face the Prince.

She composed herself, taking a deep breath, the wild look in her eyes receding slightly. "People were complaining, saying they weren't feeling well. They started falling asleep. Everyone. Everywhere I went."

Tears fell onto the ward's cheeks, smudging the kohl around her eyes. Arthur stepped forward, wiping them away with a gloved hand. "Was someone here?" he asked quietly, his features contorting into confusion when Morgana shook her head. "Then why were you hiding?"

"I told you, I didn't know who you were." the ward shivered visibly; the Prince didn't continue the line of questioning. It was clear that her answer didn't sit quite right with him, nor did it settle Merlyn's thoughts. Morgana had never been one to shy away from a problem like this, even on such a grand scale. She knew something about this, and the servant found herself genuinely worried, not only for the safety of Camelot, but for that of its ward.

"Where's my father?" Arthur asked, as if Morgana would've found the time to seek out the King. Anybody could tell that she was far too scared for such a thing; Merlyn dreaded to wonder why.

"I don't know." the ward shook her head slightly, but Arthur's expression didn't soften.

Merlyn stepped forward slightly, watching the tremors of anger in the Prince's hand as he curled his fist. "Arthur, she's distressed."

"She was awake so she must've seen something." the Prince spoke quickly; the servant was surprised at how calm he sounded.

"I didn't see anything." Morgana whispered, barely audible.

Arthur sighed loudly, his icy gaze fixed on the ward. "You saw people getting sick. What did you do?"

"What could I do?" Morgana seemed to break down again, her eyes glistening with new tears. It was so very unlike her, but this was no time for debate. The Prince was panicked, not in the right mind to be questioning anybody, let alone the frightened ward.

"Morgana, I don't understand! Why is it that you're the only person awake?" he questioned rather forcefully, but the ward didn't seem to have an answer, opening and closing her mouth like a drowning fish. Drawing back his fist, he punched the wall in anger, leaving a faint mark in the stone, before turning and storming past Merlyn, heading back into the corridor.

"You haven't been in contact with Alvarr again?" Merlyn asked offhandedly as she and Morgana followed the Prince to his father's chambers, far enough away from him to have this conversation.