Lancelot and Guinevere P2

Time seemed to slow as Gwen met Lancelot's gaze. The shock, the horror echoed in both of their features, their eyes fixed on nothing but eachother. They shot eachother questioning looks, but the honourable man looked away almost shamefully.

"Only one of you will emerge from the cage alive." Hengist shouted over the noise of his people. "Do you accept the challenge?"

Lancelot bowed slightly, suddenly unable to meet neither Merlyn nor Gwen's eyes. He then turned, already anticipating his opponent's quick movements. The half dressed warrior swiped his sword aimlessly, unpredictably, seemingly hoping just to hit part of Lancelot. Merlyn didn't really see why he'd refused any protection for his top half, especially in a fight to the death, it appeared suicidal. The man was either arrogant, stupid, or both.

Lancelot was driven backwards, but deflected each of his opponent's swings easily. The brute strength behind his attacks was far more impressive than when he'd originally arrived in Camelot, but he was unable to strike his crazed opponent. He ducked a swing, wincing at the jarring sound of a blade hitting the metal bars encasing him, but with both hands on the blade, began to make some kind of progress. Hitting the other man with the hilt of his sword, smashing his nose, and then kicking him to the floor, he held the tip of his blade at his opponent's chest. Chants to kill rose up around the cage, the people eager to see some blood, but one glance up at Gwen's terrified face, a moment noticed by Hengist, caused the honourable would-be knight to withdraw his sword, exiting through a small door in the wall of the fighting ring. He approached Hengist, catching the bag of gold thrown at him, once again unable to look the two servants in their eyes.

"What is your name?" The brute asked, suddenly curious about the strange man in front of him, one, it seemed, who had morals, uncommon in such an environment.

"My name is Lancelot."

"You have proved yourself to be a skilfull warrior. I believe you may even have impressed our royal guest, Lady Morgana." Hengist smirked. To give him credit, Lancelot didn't so much as bat an eyelid at the deception, only leaning forward in a short bow.

"My lady." he glanced towards Merlyn, but didn't say anything, probably scared of ruining their act.

Hengist chuckled. "Next time you fight, do not expect any mercy." he turned to one of his guards. "Release the wilddeoren."

Merlyn had originally marked the second gate into the cage as a potential escape route, but seeing the large, blind, rat-like monster appear made her reconsider her options. Its crooked fangs jutted our of its mouth, the brown fur covering its torso matted in mud. A foul odor of rotten flesh wafted through the air as it stuck its massive nose up, sniffing repugnantly. The man trapped in the arena edged against the bars, pressing himself flat, as far away from the creature as possible. His screaming probably didn't do anything but alert the beast to where he was, meaning that it headed straight towards him, quickly silencing him with a bite into his unprotected stomach, tearing away a large chunk of human flesh.

Arthur had been riding for hours, determined to find his servant as quickly as possible. He knew that she could handle herself, but escaping from a fortress such as Hengist's with a potentially injured handmaiden was another matter entirely. The thought of sleep hadn't even occurred to him until he heard a rather heavy thump behind him, the sound of someone crashing into the ground.

He turned his steed only to find Sir Leon lying amongst the shrubbery, his horse spooked and running forward. Arthur managed to stop the mare, but gave his knight a strange look.

"What are you doing Leon?" he asked, handing back the reins.

"I must've fallen asleep. I'm exhausted." he looked like he was about to lie down again. "I can barely keep my eyes open."