Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Psychotic yet unable to go insane

They started him on becoming "normal" the next day. Aunt Rize and that old looking guy had him sat him down at a table at Anteiku. Auntie sat with him too for a while. The old man even gave him something! Kaneki had never had coffee before, and found he rather liked the bitter brew.

"Could I have another one Aunt Rize?" He asked her.

"Sure Ken-kun."

This continued on for a few more hours. Kaneki would drink his new favorite drink and just observed the customers of the coffee shop. Although he wasn't really enjoying the last one. He had been told to watch the mix of people and ghouls. They said it would help him learn how to blend in. It was just rather boring.

"Kaneki, I'm going to go. I want to eat and I'd like to find some prey before night falls."

"Okay Auntie Rize."

She just sighed and left. It was very obvious to Kaneki that his aunt was the Binge Eater. From the few days he'd know her, she'd already eaten more than enough. Why, just last night while he ate another ghoul to fully heal, she'd eaten three humans. While Kaneki himself could be a binge eater, he did his out of starvation while she just did it because she was a glutton. He didn't mind.

Soon after his aunt left, the short tempered waitress from yesterday entered Anteiku and walked over to the old man. This made Kaneki rather curious and extremely happy for his very sensitive enhanced hearing.

"Good morning Touka-chan."

"Morning manager. You called?"

"Yes. I'm sorry to have bothered you on your day off. I was hoping you would take Rize's nephew to Uta for a mask. There have been a few doves spotted in the 20th Ward.

She looked over at Kaneki, clearly angry about spending her day off with him.

"Of course manager. I'll take him right away."

"Thank you Touka-chan."

With this Kaneki walked over to the pair.

"Yes?" It was Touka, barely being polite. Only for the sake of Yoshimura.

"You said we were leaving right away. I was under the impression that that meant now. Was I wrong?"

"How the hell did you hear us?!"

"I used my ears. They're all healed up now. It's nice knowing that I don't have that centipede in my ear anymore. Or that nobody's going to put it in my ear because that's the only old one that can still make me scream. Although, sometimes it still feels like it's crawling through. So, aren't we supposed to leave?"

Again, this young man had shocked the workers on Anteiku. Never had they heard or seen anything like this. There was also an ominous feeling that they were just scratching the tip of the iceberg with this boy.

"Yeah, let's go."

Touka led Kaneki out of the café. Taking him to the entrance of the subway system. After following the proper procedures, which fascinated Kaneki, she led them onto a train that would led them into the 4th Wars.

"So, who are you?" Kaneki asked.

"You mean to tell me you just got up and left with me without even knowing who I am?!"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I? It seemed like fun. Besides, you wouldn't be able to kill me so there's no danger in going."

"And how the hell do you know that?!"

"Because I'm not complete and they already gave me a high rating."

"Care to explain dumbass?!"

"Auntie Rize said I shouldn't tell people."