Chapter 5

Chapter 5: I want to see you be okay

The 20th Ward was very lucky that night. Kaneki was able to hold onto his sanity long enough to get out of the ward using the underground system. Although, for whatever wars he ran off to wasn't as lucky. It was a complete and utter massacre that night.

Any ghoul that Mukade could find was killed and devoured before they even knew he was there. It was truly horrifying. Blood was splattered throughout the allies and half eaten corpses were left within them. There were even some human victims. The Doves would probably be swarming the area in less than a day.

Eventually, Kaneki made it back to Aunt Rize's apartment. It was almost sunrise. He quietly let himself in. He grabbed a change of clothes from the spare bedroom Auntie was letting him have, and went to the bathroom to take a shower.

As he let the warm water cascade down his body, he thought on his time as Mukade.

The CCG never let his use his kakuja. He cannibalized enough at a young age that he'd formed a half kakuja, allowing them to finally give him the alias of Mukade. They thought it was dangerous though, so he was immediately sedated or punished whenever he showed signs of activating it.

It was then they began the experiments began. Under the disguise of punishment, they began to test him. Finding out that when pushed, a ghoul adapts. Even more so when they're a one-eye.

After he broke out using his kakuja, he thought it would be all over. That he could get better. That he wouldn't have to worry about how long the centipede would stay inside his ear, or what one thousand minus seven was. That he could live on without being looked at as a freak, an abomination.

Aunt Rize was helping him and so were the ghouls at Anteiku, but he could see it in their gazes. Every time they found out something new about him, fear of the freak in front of them could easily be seen. After they got over the shock, the fear turned to either pity or hatred.

He thought he'd just be able to have peace. No more sessions. No more centipedes. No more experiments. No more Mukade. And so far, the only one that had made him feel truly okay was the human boy named Hide.

Kaneki got out of the shower. He quickly dried off and slipped on some clothes. Then walked to his room and crawled into bed. He fell asleep with the thoughts of why on his mind.

Hide found Kaneki writing something when he walked into Anteiku that day.

"Watcha doing buddy?" He asked as he sat down.

"Writing a poem."

"Ooh! Can I read it?"

"Sure. It's not very good though. I just learned to write and I'm still not that good." Hide wisely chose not to comment on this. Kaneki handed over the poem he was writing. The writing wasn't that good, but the words. Oh god the words...

Red

Outlining my life.

Following day by day,

But nothing keeps the pain way.

Red

Life filled with strife.

The color dripping from my face,

Voices begging for a taste.

Red

Ripping me open like a knife.

They put it back in my ear,

But never stay long enough to hear.

Red