11 | Journey (II)

Xanthy pulled Nyxis aside as Cyrdel summoned the Russet Generals for more instructions

Xanthy pulled Nyxis aside as Cyrdel summoned the Russet Generals for more instructions. The others disappeared to their assigned room to prepare for the journey ahead.

"I have a favor to ask," Xanthy eyed the scampering brownies dressed in white garbs. Temple people, as Xanthy recalled from her time in Toreza. Gods, that seemed long ago.

Nyxis nodded and spread his hands. "Anything."

"Please stay here," Xanthy turned back to the human. "Do not go with us."

Nyxis scoffed, shook his head, and knitted his eyebrows. "What?" his hands tightened around the handle of his satchel. "Of course, I am going with you."

Xanthy clutched Nyxis's shoulders. "They need you here," she glanced at the Temple people hauling brownies straddled in portable beds before being transported towards the Council Hall where the rest of the sick were. "They are currently short of healers. Your expertise on potion-making will be of great use."

The glass-plated front of the Alkaran mansion had never sent that much dread in showing the outside world to Xanthy more than it did now.

Nyxis shook his head. "If I stay here, that means you will be alone with Cyrdel! He might hurt you."

"Please, you have seen him," Xanthy snorted and moved her head from side to side. "He would not hurt a sphy."

"Yes, but he did lose an invention that turned a city into a graveyard," Nyxis pointed out.

Xanthy slapped his arm with a frown. "Watch your words."

"And June?" Nyxis knitted his eyebrows, scratching his chin in thought. "Who knows what he could do to you."

"Reeca will pound him to pieces before he ever could," Xanthy braced her hips. "Besides, what are you worried about? You do not trust your own friends?"

Nyxis's eyes scanned the floor. "Well, it is better if I come with you," he glanced at the bustle of people walking in and out of the Palace's lobby. "I do not know anyone here. Besides, how can you be so sure they will let a human take care of them?"

"Cyrdel will talk to the Russet Generals," Xanthy jerked her chin in the direction where Cyrdel was seen to be facing muscular brownies dressed in metallic, russet armor. "He said he will make sure to maintain order. Airene will also help. Do this as a favor for me. Please?"

Nyxis's shoulders fell. "Fine," he sighed. "It is not like I could do anything about it."

Xanthy clapped her hands. "That is settled, then," she bumped her shoulder with Nyxis's. "I also hear that we would be given versallis as a reward assuming we succeed. Think about how many ingredients you will be able to buy."

"You sly witch," Nyxis grinned before heaving a heavy breath. "Fine. I will do it for you."

Xanthy threw her arms around him. "Thank you!"