4: Second chance?

Jasper rubbed his head. It HURT.

Wait.

"All that and a bag of chips! I-I can't hurt!" Jasper jumped up to his feet and looked around. Since when was Spooky Island this dark? "Clownin." He turned to Max and the other kid.

"BUGG'N!" Max and the other kid were knocked out, but they weren't normal like before. Jasper had to help them. But how? He couldn't touch them. But he tripped over that rock, and that was also 'sposed to be impossible. Maybe...

He reached out around Harrison's stomach. Huh. For once, he could touch something of the phisical world.

Jasper took a deep breath in. He set into a determined face and slung Harrison over his shoulder.

(Time skip, brought to you by David playing Fetch with Max)

Jasper let his breath out. He had carried both... uh... creatures... to the lab. He laid Max on one table and Harrison on the other. Come to think of it, how did he know the other boy was Harrison anyways?

Well... Time to blow this popsicle stand!

Jasper ran down to the shore. The moment of truth. Something had changed him. Something that had seemed to make him more... alive.

Jasper stepped into the boat. Success. Maybe he could leave after all. Jasper looked back. Spooky Island. The place that had been his crib for the last 15 years or so. He was happy to leave, but sad as well.

"Rock on," Jasper waved, " See ya soon Spooky Island!" And with that Jasper rowed all the way back to the mainland.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David groaned. How long was he asleep for? He stood up and shook himself off. NIKKI! David ran to the door, scratching at it. Did everything grow? And why was he so short? Rearing up, David pushed down on the handle and let himself in. Something was off.

He walked over to the bed where he left Nikki. The splint was still on, but her tail was swishing back and forth and her ears were swiveling around.

HUH!?!?!?

SINCE WHEN DID NIKKI HAVE A TAIL AND EARS!?!?!?!?

She mumbled in her sleep and turned over. That was when David noticed the tiny white fangs that went just past her lip.

This... This was fine! Yep! Totally fine! He could deal with this! Now just to find Gwen...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jasper's legs wobbled as he stepped out onto the shore. Sweet land! he started the long walk back to camp.

After a few minutes, Jasper passed by the councilor's cabin. Something was scratching at the door.

"What's that?" Jasper walked over to the door, then thought better of it. "There's no way I'm allowed in there, Marcia and Jonas would totaly kick me for it!" Jasper turned away, deciding maybe later would be the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David knew he could do this.

All he had to do was hit the handle the right way, step backwards, and walk out. All the more made complicated because of his... ahem... current situation. Wait. There was somebody outside. They smelled of pine and wood and earth, but also of a little something else.

David trained his ears on the person. They were coming from the lake's direction, a little sweaty, and panting from the hike. Maybe he didn't have to open the door. He could just wait for the kid to open it for him!

Scratching the door with his new claws, David heard the kid stop. "What's that?" David knew he had heard that voice from somewhere before. The kid walked towards the door. "There's no way I'm allowed in there, Marcia and Jonas would totaly kick me for it!" The person walked farther into the camp, judging from the footsteps.

David sat down confused. He had heard that voice before. From somewhere. AND he knew Marcia and Jonas, the two staff members from when David was a camper. Huh.

He reared up again, this time with a doorstop in his mouth. It's not like the cabin had ac anyways. David carefully walked backwards and opened the door. He wedged the stop under the door so that he wouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing anymore.

He needed to know who the owner of the voice was! It was gnawing at him. He KNEW that voice. It was on the tip of his tongue. Time to find that kid... whoever he was.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Quartermaster swung. This was the closest he'd ever come to being knocked unconcious. He felt diferent. Noticing himself, the Quartermaster knew one thing and one thing only:

"So..."

"It happens again..."

WORD COUNT: 753