chapter nine

joel

"What's on your mind, bro?" Richard asked, flopping on the cushion beside me. I shook my head, trying to take my focus off Vanessa. It's been days since I met her son, and I couldn't stop thinking about her and me. "You've been spacing out a lot."

"I met her son," I blurted. If I could talk to anyone about this, it would be Richard. "Vanessa has a son, and I already met him even though we only started to 'hang out.' We haven't even discussed our relationship yet and I already met her kid!"

"Was it a 'come over and meet my kid' or a spur of the moment?"

"Does that matter?" I questioned.

"She probably didn't want to you to meet him so soon, so it does matter to her. She must like you enough to let you meet him. Do you like her?" Richard asked.

"I'm not sure if I can like someone's mother," I responded. "She's younger than me and already a parent. She's— I thought I was okay with her being a mother, but—"

"Answer the damn question, Joel. Do you like her?"

"How can I like her? Once everyone finds out about her, they'll send her so much hate and I can't be the reason they do that. And no one will let me date a mother."

"You're your own person, Joel. You can date whoever you want. If you like Vanessa, then do something about it. If you don't—"

"I need to break it off," I interrupted. "She doesn't deserve anything that'll come to her once anything goes public between her and I."

"She was a pregnant teenager, do you think she won't be able to handle a few fangirls on the internet?" Richard asked. "I know you like her. And what does her being a mother change the way you feel about her?"

"What about when everyone finds out? What would they think about her?" I asked, worried about the backlash from the public and everyone we work with, and our fans.

"If they have anything bad to say about her, I will back her up. They'd be hypocritical to judge her and not me," Richard told me. "You shouldn't worry about that stuff, since it hasn't happened yet. And before you do start worrying, you should probably talk about your relationship with her."

vanessa

I refolded the shirts and organized them by the sizes again. Why couldn't people fix their messes? They always assume that the employees will clean everything.

"Can I use your employee discount?" I overheard someone say. I looked up and saw Tatiana standing there with clothes piled on her arms. "Or the best friend discount? That's a thing, right?"

"I told you not to come by during my shifts," I told Tatiana. "And I can't give you my employee discount anymore."

"Even if it's for your birthday?" Tatiana responded. "I found the cutest sundress that'll be perfect for you. Maybe wear it for Brandon's party, or a date with—"

"I'd rather not get fired for giving out a discount meant for me," I interrupted.

"I guess I can pay full price for your birthday present," Tatiana said. "You just can't get it until your birthday."