chapter eleven

vanessa

@username She looks normal.

@username Joel went from Emilia to this?! 🥴

@username i feel bad for joel he'll never have someone in his life that won't use him

@username if she makes joel happy, THATS ALL THAT MATTERS!

"Why are you reading those?" Tatiana questioned, taking my phone out of my hands. "They're just jealous that their future husband is dating a beautiful girl."

"No, I look normal. Whatever that means," I responded. "Oh! And I'm using Joel for his money or fame, haven't you heard?"

"Ay, bub," Tatiana frowned. "They love making up rumors. And nobody knows the truth except you and Joel." I sighed. "Let's go do something— we can invite—"

"He's in California," I interrupted. "They have something important."

"Apparently not important enough for you to remember," she responded. I gave her a small glare. "What if we take Brandon to get some ice cream? Or have Antonio meet us with Brandon and we can do something, just the four of us."

"And have people record me, again? Or harass me? I can't let Brandon be apart of that! He's almost four, he doesn't deserve that."

"You don't deserve it either! V, you cannot let some little teenager's opinion stop you from going out with your family. And you know I'll always have your back. Always."

"I can't—"

"Yes, you can! We're going, and they're going to meet us there. And you're not going to worry about anything!" I watched as she put my phone in her back pocket, and she pulled me to my feet. "Now go change out of your pajamas!" She pushed me towards my bedroom.

"Mami!" Brandon ran to me when he saw Tatiana and me. I rushed to him, and bent down to his height as he hugged me. "Quiero helado," he smiled.

"Me too," I responded, smiling at him. I motioned to the ice cream shop that we were in front of, and his eyes lit up. And before I knew it, he was dragging me to the entrance.

Within ten minutes, we were all sat down at a table with our ice cream. Brandon insisted on sitting beside Tatiana because she bribed him with a chocolate brownie.

"If you're going to give him a sugar high, maybe he can spend the night with you," Antonio told Tatiana.

"That's the good part of not having kids, you can give the kid right back to their parents. Especially after giving them sugar," Tatiana smiled. "But you know I would if my dorms allowed it."

"So, 'nessa, how are you?" Antonio asked, looking at me.

"We're not talking about that," Tatiana interrupted. "Ever since you picked up B, she's been on twitter reading indirects. Which are from a bunch of preteens who are jealous."

"No, I haven't," I told Tatiana. "I just went on Twitter, as one does, and searched Joel's name," I mumbled the end. "I don't see the big deal."