chapter thirteen

vanessa

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," I apologized. "I wasn't thinking, and we can go if you want before they come over." I glanced towards my father who was still playing with Brandon. And my mother who was stood at the front of the house with Isabella beside her. "I just brought you to meet my parents and it's completely okay if you want to leave," I rambled.

"If you're not ready for me to meet your parents, we can go," Joel told me. "I already met your son—"

"If Brandon likes you, my dad will like you," I interrupted. My dad was always easygoing, but whenever he was serious it was scary and really put everyone in check. My dad knew if I was bringing someone to meet him, it must be serious. The last guy I brought to meet him as a boyfriend was Antonio, but then again, he knew Antonio way before that. "And until five minutes ago, my mom thought I was still dating B's dad," I added.

"What?"

"My mom and I reconciled when you were in California," I explained. "Brandon just met his grandma and his aunt. I have a sister, who is younger than my son."

"Vessa!"

"I hope you're ready to meet my sister," I gave Joel a smile, before turning towards Isabella who was running towards me. I lifted her up, as she hugged me. "And my mom," I added as my mother started walking towards us.

"It's too late now, isn't it?" Joel questioned. "Hi, Mrs Alvarez. I'm Joel," Joel introduced himself to my mother. "Vanessa told me—"

"Please, don't do that for my sake," my mother interrupted. "I know she hadn't mentioned me. Plus, she's always been a daddy's girl."

It was hard to be a mommy's girl when mommy just up and left, I thought, but I bit my tongue before it slipped out. "I think you have a mommy's girl here," I smiled, looking at Isabella.

"I see you've met Brandon. And you left such an impression on him," My mother told Joel. "I thought Joel was one of his friends from school or someone from those videos he watches."

"Brandon's a great kid," Joel responded. "And this is?" Joel asked, giving Isabella a high five.

"Her name's Isabella."

"Joel! Look at my trick!" Brandon yelled. We all turned towards him, and he was bouncing the ball with each foot.

"Wow! He's been practicing that all day," my mother commented. "Brandon really reminds me of you and Antonio running around with the soccer ball when you were younger."

"You played soccer?"

I nodded, "There was a junior team in our neighborhood. I played until high school, and then Brandon happened," I paused. "I'm going to go get some water, want any?" Without waiting for an answer, I stepped into the house.

I led Joel to my old bedroom, ignoring my dad's shout, "Leave the door open!"

"I'm so sorry," I apologized to Joel as I dug into the drawers to find a t-shirt. Any t-shirt that I wouldn't miss.

"If you wanted to see me in a wet shirt, you could've just asked," Joel jokingly replied. After officially introducing Joel to my parents, I went to grab drink, and tried to carry all the cups in one go, and tripped over something. So Joel's shirt and mine were wet.