chapter fourteen

vanessa

"Dad, I'm not sure," I told my father as Brandon was swimming around my father's pool with Isabella and my mother. "I know I let her into his life, I just—"

"I'll be here, too," my father assured me. "And you're just a call away. Go have fun, you really need it." I sighed as my father pressed his lips on my forehead. "Tell your friends and boyfriend I said hi."

"Thanks, dad," I hugged him. "Also, please don't let Brandon swim too long, it's that time of year his asthma acts up. His machines are at Antonio's apartment," I reminded him. "Thanks, again."

"You're welcome, mija. Have fun, but not too—"

"Bye dad!" I interrupted him before he could finish his sentence. My phone kept ringing, it was Tatiana, who was impatient and called me every minute until I stepped out of my father's house. I walked outside and saw her car and jumped into the passenger seat.

"It took you long enough," she commented. "But tonight is going to be so much fun." Tatiana smiled as she drove away from my father's house.

It didn't take long for Tatiana and I to get ready. When we were finished and dressed, we went back to her car and drove away from my apartment building. "This will be fun," Tatiana stated. "I think you needed this night out, V."

"You think I need every night out, Tati," I responded. "But it's nice to be around people my age once in awhile."

"We're just going to their place to—"

My phone interrupted Tatiana. My dad's picture on the screen. "Hey, dad? Is everything okay?" I asked when I answered.

"Mija, Brandon is having an asthma attack, we're taking him to the hospital. Can you meet us?"

"Yeah, I'll have Tatiana drop me off now. He's okay, right?"

"He's fine, just having trouble catching his breath. He kept coughing. I know what would happen if we didn't take him right now," my father explained.

"Okay, I'll meet you there. Bye, dad," I hung up and let my thoughts settle down. "That was my dad, he's taking Brandon to the hospital."

"Is everything okay?" Tatiana asked. I raised my finger in the air as she slowed down at a red light, asking for a minute for my words to make sense. "V, what do you need me to do?"

"Just get me to the hospital near my dad's house," I told her. As she drove, I couldn't get my mind off Brandon. I knew his asthma acts up, especially after he swims.

"V, he's going to be okay," Tatiana assured me after I told her why she had to drop me off at the hospital. "Brandon—"

"Oh my god, we had plans tonight," I interrupted as I realized I was dressed up. "I need to call Jo—"

"No," Tatiana cut me off as she stopped at another red light. "You need to call Antonio, because your baby is probably scared and needs both of his parents. I'll let Joel know, no te preocupes."

"Right. I'll call Antonio," I muttered as I quickly typed his number in my phone. He answered quickly, and I calmly— well tried to calmly explain.  ". . . I'm there right now."