Chapter 3- The Arrival

It surprisingly wasn't hard asking Sheriff Hollar for help on the case. I always thought, that with a small town, the enforcement would be less willing to take outside help, and I thought I would have had to trade in some of my days off in order to get the FBI in. But he nodded, scratching his graying goatee.

            "If you think it's what the case needs, then I trust you. I gave you this case, remember?" He looked up at me and suddenly I felt like a schoolgirl, standing there, afraid of him rejecting my plea.

            Not that I considered it a plea at the time. We'd just never seen anything like it in Leweys. Of course he would want help. He wasn't doing anything to help me really solve the case- he was just letting me have access to resources that I would then use to solve it.

            "I know Sheriff. Thank you. I'll send in the paperwork now." I turned and walked out of the office, still feeling his eyes on me.

            I breathed out a sigh of relief when the BAU spokesperson called to tell me they would come right away. I needed new eyes on the case, someone outside of Leweys, and who had never heard of the urban legend my case had suddenly become attached to. Not that Jennifer's identity had been revealed yet. Only the coroner couple and I knew. People had still seen the body though, and I wouldn't be surprised if it hit the papers the next day.

            "Couldn't handle it yourself, could yah?" Officer Nash spoke up, seeing me at my desk.

            "Shouldn't your ass be somewhere else right now? On your patrol?" I looked at him with disdain.

            "Been noticing my ass lately?"
I didn't respond.

"Just got off my shift, brought our weekly guest," he pointed at old Mr. Rouge, our town drunk.

            "What'd he do now?" I watched the man be escorted to our cells; one he had become very acquainted with over the past few months.

            "Pissed in Georgie's fountain."

            "Ugh, god. Well, finish your paperwork and stop watching me while I work," I glared at him, then returned to my case file, preparing all the fact and notes to start an info board.

            He continued to watch me until he figured I wasn't going to entertain him anymore and then moved on. I knew he wanted to get into my pants, but he would have to travel the world, find religion twice, and become a different man before I would ever consider that happening.

            I stood and made my way to a small conference/break room. This is where the BAU would set up shop. I wheeled in a large whiteboard and started posting a timeline, from the estimated year the first victim was killed, the crime scene at the lake eighteen years ago, and then finally the discovery of the bodies. The lack of information was daunting.

            Four hours until the BAU would land.

            I went to the last places we assumed Jennifer and Daniel had been. Georgie's diner, a cracking large fountain in the front, still stuck in a strange mix of 80's and the classic diner style. They had been seen having breakfast at the diner the day we had come back from the lake. Then they disappeared. Daniel's car had been recovered at the lake. I had gone over the facts of the cold case three times after discovering it was Jen.

            Daniel's car was found with him at the lake and there had been signs of a struggle. Scrapes were on his hands, as if he had tried stopping his fall to the ground. He had been hit before being killed- the shooter possibly had to fight him to overcome him. Daniel had played football.