1.7

"luke, just open the door!" calum yelled as he pounded on my door. i hadn't left the room all day, just laying in bed. i was exhausted. i spend the wee hours of the morning sitting in front of katie's door when i knew everyone was asleep, trying to make sure she was okay.

"buddy, it's time to open up, yeah?" ashton this time. i continued to ignore them, strumming lightly on my guitar. i couldn't think of any lyrics, so i resorted to playing other people's songs. in the middle of an oasis medley my door magically opened to rose kneeling on the floor with a bobby pin. i stopped playing to glare at them all as i set my guitar down.

"fuck off," i mumbled, turning my back to them. i felt the bed dip down and scoffed as i turned back around. it was ashton.

"you alright, mate?" he asked me as calum and rose stood in the doorway. i ignored him and turned to rose.

"are you too busy sleeping with my mate to check on your best friend or do you just enjoy seeing me miserable?"

"shut the fuck up, luke," calum seethed, stepping into the room slightly. i rolled my eyes at him before picking my guitar up again.

"could you guys give us a second?" ashton asked, glancing towards the door.

"that was a dick move, i shouldn't have said that to her." i ran my hands across my face and leaned back on my bed. how did i fuck all of this up?

"maybe you should talk to katie," ashton suggested, his voice quiet. i rolled my eyes and didn't respond, closing my eyes. i knew she didn't want to talk to me. i fucked up. but maybe i could try.

i gave ashton a gentle pat on the back before leaving my room. rose sat on the floor in the hallway, staring at the wall.

"hey i'm sorry, that was really uncalled for," i said to her. she gave me a small smile and thanked me as i gently knocked on katie's door.

"katherine, please open up so we can talk," i said gently. i waited a few moments before i heard the door unlock. i let go of the breath i didn't know i was holding and twisted the door handle slowly. i let myself in and closed the door behind me.

"hi," i whispered as i walked over and sat next to katie on her bed. she nodded, but didn't meet my eyes.

"i should have told you about the kiss, katherine. i'm so sorry." she nodded her head again, finally looking up at me. it hurt seeing her look so hurt. i did that. i did this to her. how could i?

"i'm sorry, katie," i mumbled again before wrapping my arms around her slowly. she hugged me back and cried a little into my chest as we just sat there. i rubbed her back gently and held her for a few minutes before she sat back up and looked at me.

"why does everyone know?" she asked, her voice quiet.

"i think just calum and rose did. calum walked outside when it happened and i'm assuming he told rose." katie nodded her head before looking back up at me.

"i do remember it kind of, you know." i raised my eyebrow, waiting for her to continue talking.

"that night i went into your room, i had a dream about it happening again. i just thought it was some weird crush my mind didn't understand." i nodded again gently, keeping an arm wrapped around her shoulder.

" i should have told you as soon as we realized you didn't remember it actually happening." i squeezed her shoulder and she nodded as she turned to look at me.

"yeah, you should have." she let out a sigh before putting her head on my shoulder, her eyes closed.

"i'm sorry for overreacting last night," she whispered quietly, so quiet i could barely hear her. why was she apologizing?