Prologue

Freckles O'Leary was a girl of mystery. Noboddy knew her backstory, but her best friend Charlotte. Where she lived? Well, she was a newsie from Brooklyn Heights, a small little town. Not too far from Brooklyn, she was also friends with the King Of Brooklyn himself! But heres something really unusual, her borough is ALL GIRLS! Shocker I know! But when Pulitzer raises the price of the newspaper will she join the strike? Who knows! Read the journey of Freckles and the newsboy strike of 1899. 

Freckles POV:

I just wake up from my sleep to hear my newsies still sleeping, so I just wake them up one by one making sure they get ready. As I get ready myself I run into my best friend Charlotte.

"Good morning!" I say

"Morning Freckles" she greets as she washes her hair. I smirk and asked her "So yous still chasin' afta our neighbor Spot?" She blushed and swatted me with her newsie cap. Soon enough all the girls are ready to leave. "Alright girls lets get out the door and carry da banner!" I call getting all the girls out the door. 

As we arrive at the circulation gate we take notice that Mr. Barrow isn't already open like usual (A/N If you understand that refrence then +100 cool points) So I walk up to the stand and knock calling out "Ohhhh Mr. Barrow" with a smile. "I'm comin'! I'm comin'!" I hear him call so we wait like two more seconds and he finally opens the window to let us buy our papes.

"How many?" He asked to which I responded "Hold on! I'se still cruisin' the merchandise!" And a minute later I say "The usual" with a sly smirk. "Hundred papes for her majesty!" He called and slid me my papes. So I went and sat down on the steps to read through the paper. Soon all the girls are ready to sell but that doesn't mean that we didn't take a minute to think about the headlines we would use to sell quicker. 

Eventually I get up and say, "Alright ladies let's head off and start sellin' these papes!" That motivated the girls enough to get up and head off to sell. Charlotte and I usually stick together. So as per usual we headed to our spot. " 

"So," I started "Have ya seen anyone worth our time yet?" I joked with her. I say that because Spot and many others address me as 'The Queen of Brooklyn' since Spot Conlon himself is known as 'The King of Brooklyn'. Apparently I'm addressed like that because Spot and I are close friends, not that I mind. I like having a stance on the world around me.

"Why are yous like that?" Charlotte laughed as she shoved me a little. I noticed that as we got further into selling that the sun was setting. I knew that most or all the girls would be at the Lodge waiting for me and Charlotte to arrive. 

"Let's head back, the goils is probably waitin'" I said to Charlotte

"Yous probably right" Charlotte agreed

That was when we left and started on our journey back to the Lodge. When we got there we were greeted by smiling faces. I would do anything for these girls, I really would. Eventually, the sun had fully set and I began to tuck the girls in for the night, once everyone was in bed charlotte and I finally laid down to sleep. I hummed a little tune as I finally drifted off into a dreamless sleep. 

 Today seemed to run by smoothly. Everything went by like normal and that was just how it was supposed to go. Now we do it all over again tomorrow. Hopefully it goes by without issues. 

(A/N: Sorry! I know its short I didnt really have any ideas but heres the first chapter!)