Chapter 7: Cold-Blooded

Avery pondered the slow-moving of time as she spiraled out of control inside this devious portal creation her father had mastered. As if Avery's thoughts had jinxed it, Avery fell from the sky, as the portal had stopped in mid-air, and she plopped down in the alienated planet of Phoenix. Shivering from the monstrous winds, Avery tried to avoid the snowflakes dancing gracefully towards her. Deciding she might as well feel snow for the first time in her life, her eyes widened like dinner plates as the first one stabbed into her arm, leaving blood all over her the cuff of her black hoodie. Backing away in respect, she looked up to see a tall skyscraper labeled Everfree Prep School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. That was where her father had assigned her to go to to learn about sorcery. Pushing open the towering golden school gate she was instantly greeted with the image of girls wearing black coats over white plaid skirts and sailor shirts. Girls also wore black dress shoes. Boys wore long white dress shirts accompanied with long black dress pants and shoes. Immediately, she knew that this school wore uniforms. Ugh. Why?!

"You must be Avery? You're pretty famous around here. Apparently the new queen of Exeria." Asked a voice. Avery saw a Korean girl with the uniform and long black tresses complemented with dark brown eyes which would twinkle in the sunlight. There were some girls next to her, who seemed to be the Korean girl's friends. One had long pink hair, another had short black locks, and another had blonde tresses. The girl with the pink locks chuckled, and the girl with blonde hair smirked in her direction. The girl with short black hair seemed extremely uncomfortable with the whole situation and just turned her head the other direction.

"Yes, I'm Avery Silversky. I don't carry my father's name." Avery said as if to reassure them. However, with these girls, there would be nothing she could do to convince them that she belonged here. Avery felt a little deja vu, remembering Mally used to be, and still was exactly like these twerps. They wouldn't understand her. All they saw was a villain, and sure, Avery loved to mess with people, cause mischief, and get into trouble. But she had seen first-hand what evil did, and she swore on her life, on beloved King Werepaw's life, that she would never come in contact with evil again.

"I'm Katelyn Frost, by the way, the girl with pink hair is Ari, the girl with black hair and looks like a grandma is Akao, and the girl with the blonde hair is Summer. We're all roommates. You better head to the headmaster's office to get your uniform, and don't even think of tagging along with me. Don't get any ideas." Avery seemed startled but seemed to hold it in as she crossed her arms and glowered at Katelyn. She didn't want to tag along with her anyway.

"Why?" Avery asked. Katelyn glared at her.

"I just don't like villains," Katelyn smirked.

"Why?" Avery questioned with a smug smile, enjoying the satisfaction of seeing Katelyn turn red from irritation.

"NONE OF YOUR SNOWBALLS!" Katelyn bellowed and quickly walked away from her, with Ari and Summer following her. They both did a sassy hair-flip before running back to their leader and whispering attentively. Akao came up to Avery.

"Hi, Avery! If you don't already know, I'm Akao Marie! And I'm sorry. Katelyn doesn't like villains because of an incident she had with her brother a long time ago. I'm so excited that you decided to stay at Everfree Prep! We're going to be best friends!" Akao exclaimed, her cheeks turning pink with excitement despite the cool breeze floating around them. For some reason, after about 5 minutes in the cold, Avery didn't feel it anymore and felt perfectly normal, as if it wasn't cold at all. One of the perks of being a powerful sphinx.

"What happened?" Avery asked.

"It's not that important. Anyhow, let's get back to your story. Do you want me to show you around at all or something? I'm a great explorer and I even sing. Did you know that I can do ice-skating and ballet and-"