The Rocking Chair

The last room upstairs that needs to be touched on, is my sister's room, because there was nowhere safe in that house.

Her room was shaped weird, because of the way the closet was made in her room. It left it feeling sort of small. So she didn't have much in there.

From early on, one of her chief complaints about the room was she swore she would always see a woman in a rocking chair. Of course, my parents brushed it off - as they brushed off all of our "stories" about there being ghosts, or our feelings about something just being wrong there.

To them, this was the perfect house, one they took from a disgrace - and let's face it, it probably wasn't far from being condemned - into something that they could be proud of, something beautiful and a home for their family.

But even beautiful things can be scary and hold dark secrets.

One day, years after they'd finished remodeling, there was a knock on the door. 

When my mom opened it, she was surprised to find the former owner there. She had been driving by and felt the urge to stop and see if anyone was there. Out of curiosity, she was wondering how the place looked, after so much time had passed.

Of course, my mom was more than willing to give her a tour. 

When they were done and saying goodbye, my mom's own curiosity must've gotten the better of her, because she asked the former owner if she knew of anyone dying in the house, or if anything had ever happened there.

She hesitated before answering my mom. Then, she finally said her grandmother had died there. 

My mom apologized, but then asked if she knew where that had happened.

Of course she did.

It was upstairs, in my sister's room. She'd been in her rocking chair and had a heart attack - or maybe a stroke - and died.

We were stunned to realize what my sister was seeing had actually been something that had happened in the house.

It was so specific too, that it couldn't be a coincidence.

How else would my sister be seeing an old woman in a rocking chair, in her bedroom, when she didn't even have a rocking chair in her room?