Great Balls of Fire

When I was in elementary and middle school, my cousin would come over early in the morning and get the bus with me and then he would come home on my bus, as my aunt and uncle had work.

One morning, there was a strange sound as we stood by the front door and waited for the bus to arrive.

The next thing we knew, there was this orangey-reddish ball of... I don't even know what... that came through the door and traveled down the hallway.

I let out a yelp as we looked at each other before looked at each other, scared, and ran down the hallway after it. 

When it got to the end of the hall, it made a sharp right turn and went into what had been my playroom and was now my dad's jukebox room. It still had a few of my larger things and a desk for me, as well as a futon - which my mother was sitting on at the moment, while she was on the phone!

The strange ball of light went right past her and out the window!

She quickly got off the phone and asked us if we were alright, and we said we were - although I think we were both quite shaky. 

It was so strange, upon inspection, neither the door nor the window showed any signs of damage or as if anything had happened.

We hadn't felt like going to school now that day, but my mom insisted - I think only because she was also responsible for making sure my cousin went as well.

A few days later, I was in bed, and I heard my parents watching the late night news. They had mentioned something about strange orbs of light being spotted but no one could figure out what they were.

I really wish we had the internet back then, because it would have been really useful to be able to look up more information on the matter, but this was at a time when not even AOL dial-up was commonplace. Especially since my parents told me it was nothing to worry about and shooed my back up my bed.

About a year or so later, my parents had company over and a bunch of them were playing pinochle at the dining room table. All of a sudden, one again, the strangle ball of light came through the front door and down the hall. When it got to the dining room, instead of turning right it came over to the table and turned upward!

It went through the ceiling and straight up, into of course, my bedroom!

I sat at the table, with everyone sitting there, and yelled that it happened again.

My parents and I clamored up the steps to see if there was any sign of it upstairs - not that I expected there to be.

And there wasn't.

Once again, it had vanished and we had no idea what it was, why it was there, or what it meant.

To this day, I still think about it. I wonder how it was able to move throughout the house, how it was able to go through ceilings, and glass, and not leave a mark or anything.

Mostly, I wonder what that news story was about - as I could have sworn it had said something about destruction or it being dangerous. 

But too much time had past, and I was never able to find anything on the internet about it. Nor was I able to find anything about it happening anywhere else.

If you've had any similar experiences, I would love to hear about them! Especially if you have any links to news stories or information on what it actually was!

______

A/N: Sorry this one is so short, but I don't want to stretch the story beyond the facts, as this is supposed to be a recounting of Charlie's experiences.

While I hope I'm writing what has happened to her in an entertaining manner, these are actual events and I don't want to add flair and dramatics just for the sake of making a longer story, and fictionalizing it in the process.

Anyway, thanks so much for reading and I hope you're enjoying. I'd love to hear any spooky things that have happened to you! Or just any comments you have on what has transpired within these pages. 

Don't forget to vote and add The Haunting to your public reading lists so more people can discover Charlie's story!