Midnight Visitor

When I was sixteen, my dad died.

It was the most devestating event of my life - even more than all the trauma that house caused me put together.

The worst part was that my mom pretty much dissociated from herself and life after it happened.

Looking back, and even then, I knew it must've been even harder for her than it was for me.

But it didn't make it easier that my mom had pretty much abandoned me after I had just lost my dad.

Even my sister was gone all the time. She had rekindled with an ex-boyfriend while my dad was in the hospital, and things were getting serious with them. Not to mention, her having to take care of me since Mom could barely take care of herself, was getting to be a bit much - even though I was pretty much self-suffient.

I know my sister has guilt for abandoning me when I needed someone, but honestly, if I had been in her position, I probably would have done the same thing. It was hard being in that house with all the memories - and whatever was in that house didn't let up during our time of grief.

The one event I remember distinctly was shortly after she had gone to bed, I was woken up by her talking. At first, I wasn't sure who she was talking to, and honestly she was taking sleeping pills so I assumed it was probably herself.

Then I heard the sound of another voice. It was my aunt. Then, I heard another aunt.

I lay in my bed, confused as to what they were doing at my house in the middle of the night.

Then I struggled to eavesdrop and listen to what was going on without anyone realizing I was awake. I thought it was pretty obvious my mom didn't want me to know about whatever was going on, since she hadn't woken me up.

And honestly, once I realized what was going on, I was glad she had left me along. Or maybe I wasn't...

It turned out my mom had called two of her sisters because she had felt something at her bed. At first, she had assumed the cat had jumped up.

This was something I had experienced many times before then, and since. In fact, I continue to feel as if one of my pets have jumped up onto the bed with me. I've even felt the kneading against my leg and the circling to find the perfect spot - only to reach down to give a pet and realize nothing is there.

But when she realized the cat was nowhere near her, she started to get concerned.

Especially when she could feel something moving around either under or inside her bed!

There was a violent bumping from under, or in, the mattress. It was something she, nor I for that matter, had ever experienced.

And it wouldn't stop.

When my aunts came over, I'm sure they expected to find nothing, other than my mother have a sleeping-pill-induced hallucination.

But from what I could hear, when she told my aunts to get on the bed, they were able to feel it too.

They stayed for another hour or so, and I was too freaked out to go back to sleep.

My mom never mentioned the incident, and neither did I.

---------

Author's Note: Thanks for reading. Sorry this didn't have a better ending, but since Charlie had a limited scope of reference for the incident, there wasn't much to go on, since her mom couldn't be asked about the event.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed, and if you did, I'd appreciate you take a moment to vote and comment if you wish. I like reading your comments and try to reply to all of them!