v

"So are you working again?" Clara ignored my comment and trudged on in the conversation.

"Look Clara maybe we should discuss this later." John runs his right hand through his hair and sat down on the sofa. All the man had to cover himself was a white towel wrapped around his lower half.

"No John. We need to discuss it now." She pushed on. Urging him to give answers. He was clearly not in the mood to speak with this woman.

"Can you please leave?" He kept his head down and fumbled with his fingers.

"Whatever, but I'll be back soon. Have this little prostitute gone by the time I come back, that could be in thirty minutes or two years." She put the gun away and stormed off. After a few moments, the door shut behind her. I made sure she was gone and went to lock the door.

"I'm sorry for what she called you. That's my wife's sister. She's been blaming me for Helen's death. Helen actually died of an unknown-" He was becoming distressed and slowly becoming furious. He had stood up and gone to the window. His bareback to me, I observed the tattoos that were there. Latin. Religious symbols. His back was tense, he was stressed.

"John-"

"What?" His answer was snappy. He was not in the mood to speak.

"I'm sorry, I'll just let myself out." I recoil and stay to myself.

I walked out of the room and found the guest room he let me change in. I stayed in there until I found it appropriate to go back to him.

Switch to John's view
Clara showed up, she was rude like usual. Ever since Bella had come into my life everything had been slightly different.

Bella has a connection to the Tarasov family somehow and I don't know what the connection is. Blood relative? Bounty?

After Iosef had taken my mustang, I wasn't going to let him practice any evils on the poor girl. She's only a college kid that was just minding her business. I don't know much about Bella, but I know she needs to be safe with me.

I sat on the sofa and cover my face with both of my hands. It had been a long day. With Clara's unpredictable and unexpected visit, my mind had been twisted. Her constant threats after Helen died were never ending. Sometimes she was here in my house before I even woke up. Putting a restraining order on her wasn't going to stop her.

I stand up and go to my room. I put on some jeans and a light gray shirt. Daisy's happy little tip tap on the hardwood floor reminded me that she was a gift from Helen. Oh, how I missed my wife.

I picked up Daisy and set her upon the bed. She snuggled up to my arm and licked my hand. How precious dogs were to this world.

I remembered Bella and forgot how distressed and rude I was to her after Clara had left. What was I thinking? She is only 17 and the way I spoke to her wasn't appropriate. She didn't deserve that.

I take Daisy with me and walk out of my room. I went to the guest room that I let her change in, the door was shut.

"Bella? I'm sorry about earlier, I shouldn't have spoke to you that way." I knocked and spilled my apology.

Silence.

"I understand if you don't want to speak with me, but just let me know if you want to eat something soon. It's almost time for dinner and I'm going to make some pasta for you." I try to bribe her out with food, but my bribe fails.

Silence still fills the room.

"Bella?" I open the door and she's nowhere to be seen.

What have I done??