10) ...and drink it with gusto

The mission hadn't been a shitshow, surprisingly enough, but the reports to Fury had been. Natasha had spent the rest of the day, whole night and a better portion of the next day at the SHIELD HQ, having to deal with everything, because Stark had quite literally fled. To be fair, he had at least taken care of Steve's still unconscious and very much muscular (read 'really fucking heavy') form.

Tired and annoyed, Natasha finally landed with small jet at the Tower, making her way to her room, wishing nothing more but to shower and get some fucking sleep.

Of course, walking through the common room, she should have known she wouldn't be that lucky.

She heard his icy yet somewhat cheery voice before she even saw him and it made her stop in her tracks, dreading facing him. She was too tired for his reproaches now.

"AH! There she is!"

Natasha took a deep breath, closing her eyes and mentally counting to three.

"Here's 'ur soulmate ex-pert!" Steve howled again, making her heart clench.

Black Widow was not a coward, but neither her nor Natasha liked dealing with feelings too directly – the jet was enough to get her fill for several years prior. She scanned the room before she would settle on him – and sure enough, she and Steve weren't alone.

Bruce was standing indecisively by the door, torn and helpless expression on his face, his eyes one big question mark, asking Natasha how the hell he was supposed to deal with that.

Good question, Bruce, good question.

The smell of booze and Steve's demeanour were unmistakable, but she silently asked anyway.

"Is he...?"

"Yeah. He... uhm... he found Thor's stash," the scientist answered her in equally hushed voice, inconspicuously pointing towards the counter where three flasks lay, emptied. Jesus.

Steve apparently heard and saw them anyway, because his voice bellowed again in reaction to their conversation. His words were slurred.

"Goooood friend Thor. Thou' he t'ied to take my g'l. Nooot a g'd friend. Baaaad, bad friend."

"Oh bozhe moy..." Natasha whispered under her breath and Steve turned to her, looking almost excited to see her.

Which didn't mean he didn't look like absolute shit. He had a t-shirt stained with the alcohol, his eyes red-rimmed, bruise-like dark circles under them as if he hadn't slept for a year.

She hadn't thought he could get worse than in the quinjet. Clearly, she was wrong.

"'tasha! Greeeeat 'dvice you gave me," he exclaimed, trying to rise from his spot on the couch where he had been half-lying like a dead fish casted ashore.

Natasha resisted the urge to massage her temples as the headache started to build. She tried to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach at the audible edge to his voice, the accusation glaring at her from his eyes.

"Steve..."

He finally stumbled to his feet and she noticed another flask secured in his right hand. He held it out as if he was pointing at her.

"Tried wat' you s-said. Hurts," he hiccupped, the sound blending with a sob. He cleaned his nose with the back of his hand hastily. "S-saw her grave. Fuck it hurts... 'dis thing's good 'ough."

Natasha bit the inside of her cheek, her mind racing. She didn't need to call anyone for advice now. Her friend was shitfaced. The only thing she could do was to get him to bed and try not to antagonize him or trigger something worse than... whatever this was. She wasn't sure if moving on from being snowed under work – voluntarily – was more or less healthy than drinking himself into oblivion. But she counted any change that wasn't a step towards a suicide (possibly assisted by the last of Hydra goons) like a progress.