19) Us redefined

*wordlessly hands the readers several insulin shots* Not to spoil anything, but you might need those.

-.-.-.-.-

I'm holding out til we're out of time
Would you pierce the veil
Would you cross the line
I can feel you here, souls redefined
I can't let go of our design
Would you pierce the veil
Would you cross the line
Come back to me

(Les Friction – Come Back to Me)

...

Soft, but frantic hands cradling your head, caressing your face.

Your body too heavy to move a muscle.

Weak ringing in your ears.

The world spinning.

An angel speaking, his whispered pleas squeezing your heart like a cold fist.

"...Oh, oh doll, sweetheart, please, look at me. Say something. Tell me you're okay, please, please... don't do this to me, not again, please, you're gonna be okay..."

You knew that voice, that much you were aware of. You knew that touch too, careful and carrying gentleness despite the callouses on his fingers. Your mind was buzzing with blurry images and a building headache. You were sure the pain would get worse if you opened your eyes, but hearing the growing anxiety in the voice, you knew leaving them closed was not an option.

Dark spots were dancing in your field of vision, but you got glimpses of a worried angelic face, making you smile automatically, even when you were barely controlling your mimics or any muscles really. You were aware of meeting a real-life angel before, but Steve was simply something else.

You blinked heavily, hoping for the dark patches to disappear and reveal Steve fully. He was frowning, his lips moving rapidly and his eyes were glassy, the blue and green brought to life.

Was he... was he crying?

You squeezed your eyes shut, convinced the image would resolve when looking at him after that. It didn't change.

"Doll? Oh, thank god... can you hear me?"

One of his hands shifted, sliding under your shoulder blades to lift your torso from the hard floor, bringing you closer to him, while he was still cradling your head. He was so gentle in his motions, manipulating your body as if it was made of glass. It was nothing new to you, he had done it before; he would sometimes start making love to you that way, his demeanour gradually shifting as he got lost in his own pleasure after he took care of you.

You managed to sit upright on your own, Steve's thumb running over your cheek.

"Doll?" he questioned lowly, his eyes widening as he finally realized this was probably not the appropriate way to address you. "I mean-"

"I'm fine," you croaked, your throat dry. You couldn't say more. The tide wave of emotions flooded your brain, sea of images, words, sensations overwhelming.

And god, couldn't you tear your eyes away from him. He was as beautiful as ever, even more so, even with dark bruise-like circles under his eyes, smeared with tears.

"I'm okay," you repeated, hesitantly reaching to caress his cheek with your fingertips, wanting to assure yourself he wouldn't dissolve.

You knew for a fact this was very real, but still... gotta make sure, right? Everything felt so surreal lately...

Steve blinked in surprise, few salty drops escaping from behind his eyelids as he was watching you with wonder. You felt the same burn in your eyes – you wanted to cry, you wanted to laugh, you wanted to- to-